What era of Robert's Solo career do you like the most as a live act?

The first time I saw Robert was the tour that followed the release of Shakin'n Stirred. It was great, but I've been listening to a few shows from the '93 tour, and really enjoying them. I love the cover they did of Buffalo Springfield's Bluebird. Also, Robert's cover Neil Yong's Southern Man from the Priory tour was smoking hot. Anyone else wish for some official live release of his solo career?

One quick question regarding the "Non-Stop-Go" tour. I recall the opening number to be Pink and Black, but my buddy says that it wasn't. I was in high school, and was sober, and almost certain of this. Anyone know if that song was used as a opening number on that tour?

Anyone else wish for some official live release of his solo career?

One quick question regarding the "Non-Stop-Go" tour. I recall the opening number to be Pink and Black, but my buddy says that it wasn't. I was in high school, and was sober, and almost certain of this. Anyone know if that song was used as a opening number on that tour?

Helen of Troy was normally (if not always) the opening song for the first leg of the North American tour (Apr-Jul '88), Pink And Black for the second (Oct-Dec '88).

While I'd certainly welcome an official live release I don't particularly wish for one as there are a number of them available as professionally-recorded radio programs, not to mention the hundreds of audience-taped and soundboard recordings in circulation.

Helen of Troy when I saw him. As the band was playing the opening licks, Plant yanks the mic from the stand, then proceeds to heave the stand a good twenty feet behind him. Probably choreographed, but still a great kickoff to an excellent show.

Fate of Nations (the era) was my favorite concert in the times I've seen Plant as a solo artist.

Out of the three times I've seen him solo (Now & Zen, Raising Sand and Band of Joy) I'd have to go with the most current tour though it's almost neck and neck with the Raising Sand Revue for my favorite. Thing is, as a vocal foil, Patty Griffin isn't nearly as timid on stage as Alison Krauss. She just walks right up to the mic and let's it wail, particularly on cuts such as "Gallow's Pole".

Tough question but I'd have to go with the Fate Of Nations Tour. Wonderful set list, two great guitar players, the amazing Michael Lee on drums . Loved it !

The Principle of Moments tour was the only show I saw live.

I have a Priory of Brion in Wolverhampton DVD which is a great show too and features Robert playing lead guitar on Donovan's Season of the Witch.

Helen of Troy was normally (if not always) the opening song for the first leg of the North American tour (Apr-Jul '88), Pink And Black for the second (Oct-Dec '88).

While I'd certainly welcome an official live release I don't particularly wish for one as there are a number of them available as professionally-recorded radio programs, not to mention the hundreds of audience-taped and soundboard recordings in circulation.

Thanks Steve. If I remember, Chris Blackwell had broke his wrist, and the show here in Cincinnati was rescheduled.

That's easy, "Shakin n' Stirred", He still sounded like Zeppelin, even though he didn't play any Zeppelin tunes on that tour, his voice was still sounding like Zeppelin from the "Zeppelin" days. He was still using voice effects that he used in Zeppelin. He never sounded like that again on any tours after that , his style began to change. I've seen him any almost every tour since "Shakin n' Stirred" also. Just because it was so close to the beginning of his solo career and right after the mightly Zeppelin disbandoned, that was by far the best time to have caught him live.

That's easy, "Shakin n' Stirred", He still sounded like Zeppelin, even though he didn't play any Zeppelin tunes on that tour, his voice was still sounding like Zeppelin from the "Zeppelin" days. He was still using voice effects that he used in Zeppelin. He never sounded like that again on any tours after that , his style began to change. I've seen him any almost every tour since "Shakin n' Stirred" also. Just because it was so close to the beginning of his solo career and right after the mightly Zeppelin disbandoned, that was by far the best time to have caught him live.

You say he "ever sounded like that again on any tours after that" yet you go on to say "I've seen him any almost every tour since Shakin n' Stirred" and "that was by far the best time to have caught him live". So, if you haven't seen every tour since then, how would you know that he never sounded like that again or that it was the best time to see him live? I've seen him on his two most recent tours and he's still pretty fucking great sounding, at least to my ears. Then again, I don't judge everything he does against Zeppelin.

I have seen every tour except I miss the early Honeydrippers in 1981 but my total number of times seeing him is close to 60 with 5 Zep shows thrown in as well.

There have been many shows that were highlights on every tour so it's hard to single out any particular tour for me.

His voice remains solid and he is still the man really despite all the crap that gets written becuase of his choice of musical direction.

Nuff said B)

His voice remains solid and he is still the man really despite all the crap that gets written becuase of his choice of musical direction.

What I heard at the Band of Joy show I saw recently in Raleigh sounded a whole lot like rock n' roll to me. I definitely wouldn't confuse it with Ernest Tubb which is the impression you would get from some of the folks around here who apparently haven't actually listened to the new record or seen him in concert.

You say he "ever sounded like that again on any tours after that" yet you go on to say "I've seen him any almost every tour since Shakin n' Stirred" and "that was by far the best time to have caught him live". So, if you haven't seen every tour since then, how would you know that he never sounded like that again or that it was the best time to see him live? I've seen him on his two most recent tours and he's still pretty fucking great sounding, at least to my ears. Then again, I don't judge everything he does against Zeppelin.

First off, why did you not see any of his early solo tours?

That wasn't the question, in case you've forgotten it's "What era of Robert's Solo career do you like the most as a live act?"

No need to try to change the conversation from what it was really about when you replied to my original post on this thread, I was replying to your comments, which has gotten tiresome at this point.

No need to try to change the conversation from what it was really about when you replied to my original post on this thread, I was replying to your comments, which has gotten tiresome at this point.

I'm referring to the original question, which I answered in my first post in this thread. You, on the other hand still haven't answered the questions I posed to you.

I'm referring to the original question, which I answered in my first post in this thread. You, on the other hand still haven't answered the questions I posed to you.

I think that you, jahfin, need to chill out and relax a little (actually a lot) and stop being so harassing/sarcastic/ignorant when replying to other peoples comments, posts and/or replies. You seem to have a major chip on your shoulder along with a bad (negative) attitude about alot of things. I am sure that I am not the only one who has noticed this because we can all read what you type and you seem to want to argue and bicker with everyone (me included). I can handle anything you bring on and say about me, but you should lay off on the many others you try and denigrate and disparage. 95% of the people on this Led Zeppelin Forum are 100% Led Zeppelin fans so why the major attitude toward fellow Zep fans? This is something I really think you should ponder. (By the way, say what you will about me, however, I do not have the time to keep bickering back and forth with you).

Back to the original topic at hand. I have seen Robert Plant at least 12 times during his "solo" career and I might have to say that His tour in support of "Manic Nirvana" may have been the best concerts that I have ever attended. "Manic Nirvana" being, in my opinion, His greatest solo release. Although Robert did not play these two songs in concert when I saw Him, "Big Love" and "I Cried" are probably His best "solo" songs. I have a couple of these "Manic Nirvana" shows on VHS and I will admit that I have not watched them in years. Thanks to this topic I will watch them again and absolutely enjoy this period in Robert Plants career (over 21 years ago).

Archived