jasons drum kit

:D its all good, it just struck me as funny......

thank you!! :D yeh i'm laughing at my comment ....that's like saying the guy in the Beatles!!

-------------------------------

btw for the person who mentioned buddy rich, ringo etc...yes them too and also,,,but i'm just listing my personal faves not a best drummers list..i'm not technical enough to know who is best.

i also like larry mullen, mick fleetwood, mike shrieve, charlie watts, bill bruford..there are just so many!!!! there's even a drummer in a local band in the bay area i think is great (unknown cover band).

but John & Jason Bonham are my personal number one faves.

you don't see too many drummers using "ching" rings anymore...what a great groove you can get with one of those though...I thought jason was really good, but his drums did sound a little 80's to me at times...of course he is really an 80's drummer. he's always had that sound...but he was hard hitting this night...I was really glad for him...it must have been something to step in for your dad, and then get the reviews he's getting...he was great...congrats jason!

My nephew is 1 and a half years old and i cannot wait to buy him a replica of this drum kit when he is 7 or 10...or whenever he may want to play drums. The kid has reactions to music and rthym already, bouncing around to music as a baby.

sadly, for the show, they cut a hole in the outter kick head and stuck a Shure Beta 52 in there. Still rings with no muffling, but adds a tad of the 80's "thud" as opposed to micing off the outer head.....true Bonzo style.....where every kick beat has a breath.

I am impressed HoneyDripper! You picked up and explained this technique so incredibly well. AWESOME!

I think that part of Bonzo's sound is now considered "old". Some, but not all of Jason's differences are due to modern miking techniques, Jason's personal preferences in tuning because of how he likes the sticks & kick pedal to rebound off the drum heads, and the natural difference on how he and Bonzo hit the drums. No two drummers drum the same so even two drummers playing on the same kit will sound different.

I also wanted to add that after listening to a few bootlegs, Jason's snare sound sounded pretty close to his dad's. It has a nice ring to it. Some of the YouTube clips have a sound that has a "dryer" snare drum sound that some of the bootlegs.

peace!

Popeye

He was definitely playing with yellow vistalites. I own a set of orange ones and I LOVE them! I paid about $2,700 for the basic set and then laid down another $2,600 for the additional drums. Here are some pics of my kit:

http://www.harleymaniac.org/images/drumming/drumpic1.jpg

http://www.harleymaniac.org/images/drumming/drumpic2.jpg

http://www.harleymaniac.org/images/drumming/drumpic3.jpg

http://www.harleymaniac.org/images/drumming/drumpic4.jpg

B) hey jason,if your reading this tell us some info on your kit,is it new reissue or 70's,what were the sizes,any spec tuning? did you try different kits before settling on this one? your now the second most famous drummer in history,let us in on it. buy the way we are real proud of you,how about some clinics in the southern hemisphere,before you go into the studio to record the new songs?

B) hey jason,if your reading this tell us some info on your kit,is it new reissue or 70's,what were the sizes,any spec tuning? did you try different kits before settling on this one? your now the second most famous drummer in history,let us in on it. buy the way we are real proud of you,how about some clinics in the southern hemisphere,before you go into the studio to record the new songs?

I just got a new Modern Drummer magazine, and it features Jason on the cover. His 02 set was a reissue Vistalite, yellow with custom black chrome.

Bass: 14x26

Tom: 10x14

Floor tom: 16x16

Floor tom: 16x18

And a ludwig supraphonic 402 (6.5x14) of course!

He said in the interview that he switched from DW to Ludwig because DW doesn't make acrylic drums.

I just got a new Modern Drummer magazine, and it features Jason on the cover. His 02 set was a reissue Vistalite, yellow with custom black chrome.

Bass: 14x26

Tom: 10x14

And a ludwig supraphonic 402 (6.5x14) of course!

He said in the interview that he switched from DW to Ludwig because DW doesn't make acrylic drums.

are you in the states??? I INQUIRED ABOUT THIS ISSUE AND WAS TOLD IT GOES ON SALE IN jANUARY???? :huh:

sorry about tha CAPS lock, too lazy to retype

yeah im in the states, I also have a mail subscription, so I get mine way early.

I can vouch for the fact that these two toms:

Are THUNDEROUS!

When I play those two toms it sounds like my house is rattling! Thank god my neighbors dont mind! :D

And I went crazy and got two huge 14x26 bass drums. :D I dont regret for a second all the money I dropped on my Vistalite kit. Every drummer I have had up in my jam room instantly takes out their cell phone and takes pics of it. :P

:blush:sorry i guess this working two jobs and taking an night time online class when i get home isn't agreeing with my brain! i went brain dead please forgive me! but it is shame on me no excuse!!! i appreciate the guy a lot!! many don't.

i meant to say

neil peart yeah!!

am i back in good graces now? :)

I was taken aback when you said "the guy from Rush."

Orange, yellow...you guys are missing the point. Correct me if I`m wrong...but I never seen the tamborine that used to sit in top of Bonzo`s cymbols. This is one of the things that made his sound unique. Jason played better than great but I was disappointed not to see or hear this.

Bonzo only ever used the hi-hat tambourine during "Moby Dick". Do Jason's not having them didn't change anything.

I was surprised to see that he was using Ziljian's and not Paiste 2002 Cymbals. Paiste even reissued the vintage 2002's last year, so it must have been Jason's preference.

By going with smaller drums sizes and Ziljian's, it gave the songs a more modern drum sound, which was fine with me.

Jason played great though!!

tc

The drums are the same. The reason they look yellow and then even orange "amber" is back in the 70-80's there was not a true amber kit, it was more of a pale orange yellow look. Like it was aged kiind of a look. I have the same kit and sizes he played and they are vintage and I brought my floor tom into the music store to compare construction, as I was going to order another tom. Not only are they constructed cheaper now, the colors do not match up. Mine was more yellow orange like Bonzo's. So he must have got a vintage kit from someone or maybe it was his dads. I know this he upgraded hardware on the kit, rims lugs etc... They dont come in black on the vintage kits. So it is not yellow it the real amber from back in the day. Most likely Bonzo's or he had it specially made. As far as cymbals, he should have went to Paiste Giant Beats, this is what most of the recordings were done with. Zildian sucks and does not have the presence of a Paiste cymbal. Jason is endorsed with them so he had no choice, its in his contract. So I hope this helps......

The drums are the same. The reason they look yellow and then even orange "amber" is back in the 70-80's there was not a true amber kit, it was more of a pale orange yellow look. Like it was aged kiind of a look. I have the same kit and sizes he played and they are vintage and I brought my floor tom into the music store to compare construction, as I was going to order another tom. Not only are they constructed cheaper now, the colors do not match up. Mine was more yellow orange like Bonzo's. So he must have got a vintage kit from someone or maybe it was his dads. I know this he upgraded hardware on the kit, rims lugs etc... They dont come in black on the vintage kits. So it is not yellow it the real amber from back in the day. Most likely Bonzo's or he had it specially made. As far as cymbals, he should have went to Paiste Giant Beats, this is what most of the recordings were done with. Zildian sucks and does not have the presence of a Paiste cymbal. Jason is endorsed with them so he had no choice, its in his contract. So I hope this helps......

Man you are posting some serious disinformation here.

First off there DEFINITELY were both amber AND yellow vistalites in the 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vistalite

I would bet a lot of money that Jason is playing a MODERN YELLOW vistalite set.

The vistalites they make today are WAY better than the vistalites they made in the 70s.

Consider yourself schooled.

From the interview with Jason in the latest (Febuary 2008) issue of Modern Drummer magazine:

Ludwig Vistalites in yellow (not amber)

14x26 kick drum

10x14 rack tom

16x16 floor tom

16x18 floor tom

6 1/2x 14 Supraphonic chrome snare

all of the above just like his Dad's classic kits

all Drum Workshop stands & pedals

Zildjian cymbals:

15" A Custom Mastersound brilliant hi-hats

20" A Custom brilliant crash

20" A medium-thin crash

24" K light ride

Also, the lugs are dead giveaway that his kit is new. They're the mini version of the 70's era lugs. meaning they are reduced in size. If I recall correctly, none of the amber drums are in possession of the Bonhams. I could be wrong on that but at least one amber kit was purchased by some rich guy in Canada. Anywho, those were definately yellow vistas that Jason was playing and they are definately new.

---LG

Those are not Bonhams drums and cymbals. First off, his bass drum was a virgin bass drum meaning there was no tom holder. He place his top tom on a snare stand, second, the paiste's 2002 cymbals were black label cymbals and these are clearly red, which are 1980's and now the reissues. As far as the snare, who knows, and the timpanis and gong, who knows, but the drums and cymbals are not.

Man you are posting some serious disinformation here.

First off there DEFINITELY were both amber AND yellow vistalites in the 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vistalite

I would bet a lot of money that Jason is playing a MODERN YELLOW vistalite set.

The vistalites they make today are WAY better than the vistalites they made in the 70s.

Consider yourself schooled.

Archived