Second albums

bouillon

Most of you will be familiar with the 'difficult second album' syndrome - where a band has released a great debut, tours it heavily & then finds it has no songs when the time comes for the follow-up - see The Who, Floyd, U2, REM, and most punk bands.

But sometimes bands don't shoot their wads, and actually follow through with albums that far surpass their debuts. For example:

001bafd0_medium.jpeg

radiohead-the-bends.jpg

41S71EWF1ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

31NDESP17FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anyone got any more?

And what about the real stinkers?

Most of you will be familiar with the 'difficult second album' syndrome - where a band has released a great debut, tours it heavily & then finds it has no songs when the time comes for the follow-up - see The Who, Floyd, U2, REM, and most punk bands.

You've completely disqualified yourself with this bit of ignorance.

Pearl Jam- Vs

My Morning Jacket- At Dawn

Black Crowes- The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

The Band-S/T

Black Sabbath-Paranoid

Radiohead-The Bends

Tool-Aenema

A Perfect Circle-13th Step

Raconteurs-Consolers of the Lonely

Stone Temple Pilots-Purple

Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream

Thanks for reposting two of my selections, but if you think GnR is better than Jimi Hendrix or Van Halen, you're crazy. By the way, I didn't ask for your opinion on my picks. So to reciprocate, I put your selection in it's place.

Well I can see this is getting completely out of hand already :lol:

I didn't think you meant Axis and VHII were stinkers, Terrence - although many do feel VHII was a let-down, hence my earlier request for clarification. But TSRTS obviously thought you posted them as stinkers, hence his comment...?

Secondly, I don't think TSRTS meant that GnR Lies was better than JH or VH. I assume he meant it was a stinker compared to Appetite.

Chill out, people :whistling:.

Same goes to you, Jahfin. I'm not ignorant, dude - I'm just not a sycophant.

Same goes to you, Jahfin. I'm not ignorant, dude - I'm just not a sycophant.

Read your opening statement in this thread, that alone shows your ignorance. Not to even mention your opinion of what you consider to be "stinkers".

Read your opening statement in this thread, that alone shows your ignorance. Not to even mention your opinion of what you consider to be "stinkers".

Nope, you've lost me there, pardner. Pray elucidate.

Ah, hang on - do you mean most punk bands didn't even get around to making a second album?

I'm saying you're ignorant in general.

Haha, I've always wondered how it feels to be savaged by a dead sheep. D'you really think I give a wet fart about what some cowpoke from NC thinks about me?

Flame on, trollboy :baby:

Thanks for reposting two of my selections, but if you think GnR is better than Jimi Hendrix or Van Halen, you're crazy. By the way, I didn't ask for your opinion on my picks. So to reciprocate, I put your selection in it's place.

I wasn't saying that I was saying the Jimi and Van Halen albums were too good to be on this list where as the GNR album SHOULD be on this list.

P.S Thank you fellow Leicester resident bouillon for understanding!

P.P.S DewieCox have you just put in Paranoid o,O ?!

P.P.S DewieCox have you just put in Paranoid o,O ?!

:wall: For fuck's sake, Stairway, this is about GREAT 2nd albums. The STINKERS are an afterthought.

FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT:

Will all posters please ensure that they CLEARLY MARK any STINKERS as STINKERS.

Oh that unidentified one is Tool Aenima I believe

Wow. Tool.

They sing for satan, don't they?

Some of the groups mentioned don't have any good albums, first to last

:lol:

You could well be right. Who do you have in mind there, Terry?

Archived