RIP and Bless Clarence Clemons

OH NO! He died? I heard he had a stroke and I saw Bruce's statement the other day. I was hoping he'd pull through. Damn shame and a HUGE loss. :(:tears:

Like you, MSG, the Boss and the E Street Band had a big part in my life, especially 1975-1985. One of the BEST DAMNED LIVE BANDS EVER! Clarence, the BIG MAN, will be missed.

R.I.P.

Had to post two of my favourite Bruce songs that were played back-to-back at this New Jersey concert in 1978. Play on, Big Man, play on...

Racing in the Street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NltljcANCFs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thunder Road

Rest in Peace, Clarence Clemons. Thanks for the music...thanks for the memories.

This fucking sucks. I had missed them on their Working On a Dream tour, and was hoping to catch them sometime next year. I'm such a huge, huge fan of theirs and you know there's no way Bruce will go on without him.

My condolences to Clarence's family, his friends, the E-Street band, and their fans all over the world. Play Jungleland for us tonight.

Like you, MSG, the Boss and the E Street Band had a big part in my life, especially 1975-1985. One of the BEST DAMNED LIVE BANDS EVER! Clarence, the BIG MAN, will be missed.

R.I.P.

Still one of the best live bands I've ever seen as far as sheer power...something so raw and pure and beautiful about their music. Clarence's presence on stage was incredible and his joie de vivre was infectious.

Had to post two of my favourite Bruce songs that were played back-to-back at this New Jersey concert in 1978. Play on, Big Man, play on...

Thunder Road

Rest in Peace, Clarence Clemons. Thanks for the music...thanks for the memories.

My favorite is Jungleland but Thunder Road is a close second: "The door's open but the ride it ain't free."

Hi all,

Clarence,thanks for the music! :) RIP

I first saw the band during the Darkness on the Edge of Town tour (still my favorite),great show and the Big Man smiled and kick-ass for 3 hours!

KB

Hi Anjin-san, my friends and I saw them a lot when they were playing colleges and bars throughout the northeast, including Mass., where they were hugely popular. They weren't playing 3 hour shows yet and at a couple of the shows they came on around midnight...B)

...RIP Clarence;

MSG thanks for posting this; Haunting sounds of our generation...loved this music then and now.... some beautiful memories of the E Street Band...

You're welcome, PlanetPage. The sound and the lyrics are haunting...I still can't adjust to the reality that Clarence is gone...beautiful memories for all of us who are fans.

Heard this this morning. He will be missed so much. RIP Big Man!

Saw him with the E Street Band twice at Giants and Shea Stadiums around 2003-04. What a show they put on. Certainly won't be the same. Danny Federici was a big loss a few years ago, but the Big Man has the heart of the band. Can't just replace him. We'll see.

Here's one some of you may remember.

when i heard this news just minutes after bruce announced it, the night of june 18, i was so upset and heartbroken. i really believed clarence was going to recover after his stroke. i dreamed of taking my daughter to a bruce and e street band show

in the near future.

as mentioned, they are amazing live. as much as i hope and expect bruce will continue to record and tour, without clarence it will never be the same. my two favorite bruce songs, among so many, new york city serenade and jungleland, have such

beautiful saxophone. give them a listen, studio or live.

i have grown up listening to the amazing music created by this group of extraordinary talent. thirty four years a fan and forever one.

when clarence played you felt your soul. his music will always live in my heart. rip clarence clemons.

Still one of the best live bands I've ever seen as far as sheer power...something so raw and pure and beautiful about their music. Clarence's presence on stage was incredible and his joie de vivre was infectious.

My favorite is Jungleland but Thunder Road is a close second: "The door's open but the ride it ain't free."

Jungleland is one of my faves, if not THE favourite, and possibly Clarence Clemons' finest solo...but you had already posted the song. So that's why I went with two other songs from the same great show in Pasaic, NJ 1978. In fact, 1978 is the year for me when he truly became The Boss.

I first saw Bruce in 1973 when he opened for Blood, Sweat & Tears at the Santa Monica Civic. This was pre-Max Weinberg, Miami Steve and Roy Bittan. I can't say they knocked me out. I had no idea who he was and hadn't bought any of his records. All I remember was this scruffy, rock n roll gypsy looking dude with a big sax player in his band. And I remember the scruffy dude liked to tell lots of stories between songs. They also played a lot longer than opening acts usually did...more than an hour for sure. But IMO they weren't better than B,S & T that night.

My next Bruce show was in 1974, just before my birthday...again at the Santa Monica Civic. This time he was opening for Dr. John and again it wasn't sold out. In fact, it wasn't even close to being sold out, maybe 2/3 full. But THIS time, Bruce stole the show and definitely made an impression on me. The 3 songs I remember most vividly from that night are Spirit in the Night, Jungleland, and Rosalita. After my birthday, I went out and bought the only two albums Bruce had released by then, "Greetings from Asbury Park" and "The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle".

Then came "Born to Run" in 1975, and now Springsteen was a name and his band had a name...the E Street Band. This was also the classic line-up with Bruce, Clarence, Miami Steve, Gary, Danny, Roy and Mighty Max. I saw them at the Roxy that October...BEFORE he appeared on the covers of Time and Newsweek simultaneously. The show was good and the band was hot, and you could definitely get a sense of the band's chemistry, especially the by-play between Bruce and Clarence. But there were some ragged moments and sometimes Bruce's stage patter came off a little too disjointed and nervous. But the show was still good enough to where I immediately put him down as someone whose concerts were worth checking out no matter what.

Then came 1978, and the Darkness tour...I saw him at the Forum and the Roxy and both shows were PHENOMENAL! Visually, Bruce and the band were much more striking and the setlist was KILLER! The nerves were gone, and Bruce seemed more in control of his persona and the crowd in 78. He truly was THE BOSS. In 78, Bruce became one of those acts you would see at the drop of a hat, and as often as you could.

It was during the 1978 tour, in Phoenix, that the most famous Bruce Springsteen clip was filmed. It's "Rosalita", and it was shown on ABC's "History of Rock and Roll" TV special in the late-70's. It has all the aspects of a Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band concert: passion, energy, fire, joie de vivre, band chemistry, spirituality and sex. It's a barnburner of a performance and the ending is chaotic delirium. Watch and enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qFdcHo7Z7w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jungleland is one of my faves, if not THE favourite, and possibly Clarence Clemons' finest solo...but you had already posted the song. So that's why I went with two other songs from the same great show in Pasaic, NJ 1978. In fact, 1978 is the year for me when he truly became The Boss.

I first saw Bruce in 1973 when he opened for Blood, Sweat & Tears at the Santa Monica Civic. This was pre-Max Weinberg, Miami Steve and Roy Bittan. I can't say they knocked me out. I had no idea who he was and hadn't bought any of his records. All I remember was this scruffy, rock n roll gypsy looking dude with a big sax player in his band. And I remember the scruffy dude liked to tell lots of stories between songs. They also played a lot longer than opening acts usually did...more than an hour for sure. But IMO they weren't better than B,S & T that night.

My next Bruce show was in 1974, just before my birthday...again at the Santa Monica Civic. This time he was opening for Dr. John and again it wasn't sold out. In fact, it wasn't even close to being sold out, maybe 2/3 full. But THIS time, Bruce stole the show and definitely made an impression on me. The 3 songs I remember most vividly from that night are Spirit in the Night, Jungleland, and Rosalita. After my birthday, I went out and bought the only two albums Bruce had released by then, "Greetings from Asbury Park" and "The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle".

Then came "Born to Run" in 1975, and now Springsteen was a name and his band had a name...the E Street Band. This was also the classic line-up with Bruce, Clarence, Miami Steve, Gary, Danny, Roy and Mighty Max. I saw them at the Roxy that October...BEFORE he appeared on the covers of Time and Newsweek simultaneously. The show was good and the band was hot, and you could definitely get a sense of the band's chemistry, especially the by-play between Bruce and Clarence. But there were some ragged moments and sometimes Bruce's stage patter came off a little too disjointed and nervous. But the show was still good enough to where I immediately put him down as someone whose concerts were worth checking out no matter what.

Then came 1978, and the Darkness tour...I saw him at the Forum and the Roxy and both shows were PHENOMENAL! Visually, Bruce and the band were much more striking and the setlist was KILLER! The nerves were gone, and Bruce seemed more in control of his persona and the crowd in 78. He truly was THE BOSS. In 78, Bruce became one of those acts you would see at the drop of a hat, and as often as you could.

It was during the 1978 tour, in Phoenix, that the most famous Bruce Springsteen clip was filmed. It's "Rosalita", and it was shown on ABC's "History of Rock and Roll" TV special in the late-70's. It has all the aspects of a Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band concert: passion, energy, fire, joie de vivre, band chemistry, spirituality and sex. It's a barnburner of a performance and the ending is chaotic delirium. Watch and enjoy...

Hi Strider, no problem...it's all great, everything from the Passaic shows, the live shows the band played during those years - Kitty's Back, Rosalita, Candy's Room, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, 4th of July...., Spirit in the Night, Thunder Road, etc. Of all of them, though, Jungleland is my favorite song and has my favorite solo by Clarence...so incredibly evocative of a time and place. Coltrane is one of my favorite musicians of all time and Clarence comes the closest, for me, to evoking those same feelings....Love the Rosalita clip, of course - quintessential E Street performance that brings back sweet, exuberant memories of my youth. "Ah, I ain't here on business, baby, I'm only here for fun."

I also saw the band for the first time in '73 at a small club out on L.I. during their Greetings from Asbury Park years and afterwards I wondered what had taken me so long... By local standards, I was "late" in discovering the band as they had already played dozens of regional shows in the years before. There was so much great live music then, so many legendary bands and musicians playing live, it was sometimes hard to keep up with everything that was going on. From then on though, after that first show, I saw the E Street Band as many times as I could, almost always in smaller venues - including many college campus shows. I loved that the band could fill arenas and coliseums yet they would still play smaller clubs and venues. For my friends and me, having attended those pre-Time Magazine Bruce/Clarence shows is a marker or benchmark akin to our having attended the pre-Dragon suit Zep shows.

^ yes, apparently she called him up and the next day he was on his way up from S. Florida. He said he was on a three day high after recording with her for a couple of days. That was earlier this year. What a great musician he is/was!!

SPRINGSTEEN SPEAKS AT MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR CLEMONS

Brought To You By VH1’s Dave Basner

A memorial service was held for E Street Band saxophone great Clarence Clemons in Palm Beach, Florida on Tuesday. According to The Palm Beach Daily News, Bruce Springsteen delivered an emotional eulogy at the gathering after performing a “softened” solo version of “Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out,” moving many to tears. The Boss even reportedly broke down at one point when he spoke about meeting Clarence 40 years ago. Jackson Browne and fellow E Street Band members Max Weinberg and Garry Tallent were also in attendance.

• 2 months later...

In the paper today...

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band Deciding Future Without Clarence Clemons

September 23, 2011 By John Carucci, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) -Steve Van Zandt says Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band will get together over the next couple of weeks to discuss how the band will proceed without Clarence Clemons. The saxophonist died in June following complications from a stroke.

Van Zandt said the band, which has periodically toured and recorded with Springsteen since 1972, will never be the same without Clemons. But then he added it wasn't the same after keyboard player Danny Federici died in 2008.

Clemons provided the band with its trademark horn sound apparent on such hits as "Blinded By the Light," ''Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Jungleland."

"That's a void we will never replace," Van Zandt said. But the E-Street band guitarist feels they will still play music until the end because he says: "That's what we do."

Van Zandt made the comments while attending "Ocean's Kingdom," in New York, a new ballet with music by Paul McCartney.

I'm not even a fan but those are some mighty large (pun intended) shoes to fill. While I understand their desire to carry on (Springsteen has always been most successful, at least from a sales point of view, with the E Street Band), finding a new sax player would seem somewhat disrespectful to the Big Man. I certainly don't envy their current dilemma.

I wouldn't mind if they did a tribute concert kind of thing, where they got a group of really great saxophonists to come on stage and perform with them, but only if it's a one-off. I would not want to see them tour/record as the E Street Band without him. Aside from the situation I brought up above, do you really want to see someone else doing the solo in Jungleland? I think not.

Archived