Jimmy Page - Locked and Loaded

nirvana

I wouldn't say that "Calling To You" is a message to Jimmy - it has an environmental message. And yes, I know he sings "Oh Jimmy!" in the fade-out.

However, the song "Memory Song" on that same album is definitely sung to Jimmy.

Yes Knebby! Memory Song - I love that one too and I do believe that it also had its message for Jimmy. Forgot that one! Oh, the Irony (memory song :-)

You hate people because they disagree with you or prove you wrong? I'm sorry for you.

No, the people I hate are the ones that have somehow turned my all time favorite band into a fucking MSNBC cable news program.

You got your'e fucking Democrats and your fucking Republican House of Zeppelin partisan politics going on here.

No middle ground possible.

It really is pathetic and sad.

I freakin' know that but Plant is 64 and has been dealing writers block for about 7 years now.

If he has writer's block, this is the first I've heard of it. Dreamland was meant to be a collection comprised mainly of covers; as for the Raising Sand and Band of Joy records, I always figured they were both made up largely of covers because the project (mostly older music) naturally lent itself to that. Either way, that doesn't disparage the fact that writer's block can affect anyone of any age, not just someone who's 64.

If he has writer's block, this is the first I've heard of it. [

You are correct Jahfin, this is the first you've heard of it. Is there really nobody on this forum that can back me up on a fact or two thats based in reality?

Or better yet, anyone with some balls? I seriously don't get it. I'm not making this stuff up people!

Plant hasn't been doing covers for the better part of the last decade because he is a prolific songwriter.

I'd really like to know what I've said here that could possibly be misinterpreted or disputed.

You are correct Jahfin, this is the first you've heard of it. Is there really nobody on this forum that can back me up on a fact or two thats based in reality?

Or better yet, anyone with some balls? I seriously don't get it. I'm not making this stuff up people!

Plant hasn't been doing covers for the better part of the last decade because he is a prolific songwriter.

I'd really like to know what I've said here that could possibly be misinterpreted or disputed.

Hi Snapper,

There's not a songwriter that sometime or other that doesnt have writers block, i personaly have heard Plant in an 90s interview admit to having to "Lift" something when he couldnt think of anything that would fit, and if i remember rightly he was having a torid time in the 90s when he thought he would never write again, this is all from memory so times and dates would be sketchy.

Now as far as your recent disagreements? leave them at that, disagreements, Knebby and Jahfin can be very arguementative at times, i've had my run ins with both of them but they both know their stuff where Led Zeppelin and its members are concerned, so put it down to a bad day at the office and move on, i know that i've had to do that scores of times, now i think i'll just keep to trying to be funny and let the others do their thing. ;)

Regards, Danny

If he has writer's block, this is the first I've heard of it. Dreamland was meant to be a collection comprised mainly of covers; as for the Raising Sand and Band of Joy records, I always figured they were both made up largely of covers because the project (mostly older music) naturally lent itself to that. Either way, that doesn't disparage the fact that writer's block can affect anyone of any age, not just someone who's 64.

Well anyway, Plant is 62 and will be 63 in August.

Seems like if he was suffering from writer's block, it would have been mentioned in the Rolling Stone article where he specifically states that he wants to start performing new, original material with the Band of Joy that he's been working on already with Buddy Miller.

Like I previously mentioned, Dreamland was meant to be a project comprised mostly of covers. Was this borne out of writer's block? If so, I honestly don't recall ever hearing or reading that anywhere. If so, please enlighten me. Since Raising Sand and Band of Joy are both steeped largely in Americana-style music, I thought the lack of original material was an effort on Plant's part to shine a light on the works of the artists who's works make up those albums. Again, if it was because of writer's block, that is news to me.

For one, I'd never heard of Plant having writer's block. For another, there's been plenty of other artists (young and old) who have suffered from it. I've never known of it to just be true of older artists. While you may see this as me being "argumentative", it's actually an attempt on my part to understand as I'm totally unaware of Plant ever suffering from writer's block.

For one, I'd never heard of Plant having writer's block. For another, there's been plenty of other artists (young and old) who have suffered from it. I've never known of it to just be true of older artists. While you may see this as me being "argumentative", it's actually an attempt on my part to understand as I'm totally unaware of Plant ever suffering from writer's block.

Well now you have.

"For a few years he suffered from writer's block, much of it brought on by worrying about doing "anything false". But now, he says, he has loads of ideas. "We've been writing bits and pieces as we go along, but at this point we have to think quite hard whether to stay in the same vein or take it into something very minimal, very beautiful and stark. The more I do that goes left or right of centre, the more I get an audience where there's nobody in the crowd any more shouting for anything other than 'Give it to me.'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2005/oct/14/ledzeppelin

Regards, Danny

"But before you go thinking that Plant has finally released a follow-up to his career defining "Fate of Nations" album, he hasn't. The album contains 11 tracks, 8 of which are cover versions. This is Plant returning to the music that influenced him to find inspBut before you go thinking that Plant has finally released a follow-up to his career defining "Fate of Nations" album, he hasn't. The album contains 11 tracks, 8 of which are cover versions. This is Plant returning to the music that influenced him to find inspiration (he has admitted to suffering writer's block, for the first time in his career, after penning "heart in your hand" for the Page/Plant album "Walking into Clarksdale").iration (he has admitted to suffering writer's block, for the first time in his career, after penning "heart in your hand" for the Page/Plant album "Walking into Clarksdale")."

http://www.imarocker.com/reviews/Plant/site/DREAMLAND.htm

I'm still waiting for pussy ass "Walter" to reply. No, your not judge and jury here Walter, despite your attempt to be.

Hold on just a minute, let me get the facts straight. You come on a LED ZEPPELIN forum and completely fuck up the whole premise of your argument by incorrectly identifying one of Robert Plants' SOLO songs for a P/P song that has no bearing on your argument and I'M pussy ass whatever? Go back to whatever rock you crawled out from under, study the history of the band and it's members, and come back when you have some knowledge you can share instead of spewing your nonsensical bullshit!

Otherwise, go hang out in the "newbie" section. Mr. Head!

Well now you have.

"For a few years he suffered from writer's block, much of it brought on by worrying about doing "anything false". But now, he says, he has loads of ideas. "We've been writing bits and pieces as we go along, but at this point we have to think quite hard whether to stay in the same vein or take it into something very minimal, very beautiful and stark. The more I do that goes left or right of centre, the more I get an audience where there's nobody in the crowd any more shouting for anything other than 'Give it to me.'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2005/oct/14/ledzeppelin

Regards, Danny

"But before you go thinking that Plant has finally released a follow-up to his career defining "Fate of Nations" album, he hasn't. The album contains 11 tracks, 8 of which are cover versions. This is Plant returning to the music that influenced him to find inspBut before you go thinking that Plant has finally released a follow-up to his career defining "Fate of Nations" album, he hasn't. The album contains 11 tracks, 8 of which are cover versions. This is Plant returning to the music that influenced him to find inspiration (he has admitted to suffering writer's block, for the first time in his career, after penning "heart in your hand" for the Page/Plant album "Walking into Clarksdale").iration (he has admitted to suffering writer's block, for the first time in his career, after penning "heart in your hand" for the Page/Plant album "Walking into Clarksdale")."

http://www.imarocker.com/reviews/Plant/site/DREAMLAND.htm

Thanks, but those are both in reference to Dreamland which was followed up by an album of all original material (Mighty Rearranger) once he'd overcome his writer's block. Neither article addresses the Raising Sand or Band of Joy records. Was the lack of new, original material on both of those albums attributable to writer's block as well or was it because he deliberately meant to focus on material by other songwriters? And, if he continues to suffer from writer's block, wouldn't that belie the Rolling Stone report that he has started composing new material for the Band of Joy to perform?

quote name='Jahfin' timestamp='1310519413' post='529814']

Thanks, but those are both in reference to Dreamland which was followed up by an album of all original material (Mighty Rearranger) once he'd overcome his writer's block. Neither article addresses the Raising Sand or Band of Joy records. Was the lack of new, original material on both of those albums attributable to writer's block as well or was it because he deliberately meant to focus on material by other songwriters? And, if he continues to suffer from writer's block, wouldn't that belie the Rolling Stone report that he has started composing new material for the Band of Joy to perform?

I didn't start any swearing around here, just responding to what has been dished into my lap.

I agree. For those people who haven't been around for Zeppelin releases before, this has all of the mystique as anything that has come around since the ole "brown paper bag"! ;)

I didn't start any swearing around here, just responding to what has been dished into my lap.

I agree. For those people who haven't been around for Zeppelin releases before, this has all of the mystique as anything that has come around since the ole "brown paper bag"! ;)

Walter, I understand your pov. I know you didn't start it and the name-calling in your direction was totally un-called for. There is no place for that here or on any forum.

And you are so right! The mystery on Jimmy's site has all that excitement and wonder of the old "brown-bag" days! As well as the Obelisk on Presence, and the famous "runes"....

Man, this is so great! Let's enjoy these moments!

Agreed, just seeking some clarification on the "writer's block" thing.

Agreed again. Just goes to show you can still create some mystery even in the age of the internet when "news" is considered old almost instantly these days.

Hi Jahfin,

My posts were in responce to your post no 88, where you stated that you had never heard of Plant having writer's block, well He says He has had it and I have heard him say it in interviews. As to when he got over it i dont know but i never gave it much thought as i believe all writers are prone to getting it at sometime in their career. In my opinion as people age they have less to write songs about, most of their prolific stuff comes with youth, although that isnt always the case but seems to be the standard for Rock and Pop artists but not so much for Authors.

Regards, Danny

No, the people I hate are the ones that have somehow turned my all time favorite band into a fucking MSNBC cable news program.You got your'e fucking Democrats and your fucking Republican House of Zeppelin partisan politics going on here. No middle ground possible. It really is pathetic and sad.

I know what you mean. In my own words, Led Zeppelin fandom has not become politicized so much as it is has become polarized. Should they or shouldn't they...? Robert vs Jimmy? Is Jimmy's book great or not? etc. etc. etc. One of the great things about online forums are they allow us to consider other viewpoints. On the hand, oftentimes we find views may vary from our own, and indeed they do. All I can say is this phenomenom isn't unique to Led Zeppelin and at the end of the day sometimes it's best to just log off and enjoy the music on your terms.

Archived