Metallica and Led Zeppelin

Metallica and Led Zeppelin are obviously the two biggest pioneers in hard rock and metal. Metallica has the live concert "energy" just like Led Zep. I would say "yes" go for it. As a huge fan of both of those bands, I've always wanted to see Led Zeppelin and Metallica share the stage and the bands never shared the stage before ever. And we know the guys in Metallica are obviously huge fans of Led Zep.

Since the successful "Reunion O2" show worked and was a big success, last night's O2 show changed music history forever. I also think Metallica and Led Zeppelin sharing the stage would also be the next big history change, the music industry would be all over this if a show like this happened.

Metallica and Led Zeppelin may not share the stage at Bonnaroo but there's always a possibility elsewhere. :D

What are your thoughts?

I think it would be a great idea. It worked well when Metallica opened for the Rolling Stones in 2005. And not only are Metallica huge Zeppelin fans, but apparently Jimmy is a bit of a Metallica fan. Well, at least he went to their show in London this past summer. I think both bands would definitely be interested to try it out for one or two shows if Zep do decide to tour more. (Remember, they have confirmed nothing, a lot of people are assuming they will.) Both bands would probably find newfound respect by playing in front of the other band's audience as well.

There isn't a band that could follow Zep onstage, so Metallica would have to be support, and as much as I like metallica as a band and they do some good gigs, There just isn,t a hope in hell that they could even be worthy of sharing a stage with Zep!!

Shitallica does not deserve to be put on the same bill as Led Zepplin, the only opening they should be doing is for the Spice Girlz.

Nobody sets foot on a stage Led Zepplin is on ....... Nobody !!!!

RjK

I don't think Led Zeppelin would do it because they don't like to be associated as or with a heavy metal band.

They constantly deny any direct connections to trying to influence heavy metal and the world often labels them as heavy metal and they don't like it.

So if I were them, I'd see this marriage as only adding fuel to the fire.

But hells yeah, I would go ;)

I think it would be a great idea. It worked well when Metallica opened for the Rolling Stones in 2005. And not only are Metallica huge Zeppelin fans, but apparently Jimmy is a bit of a Metallica fan. Well, at least he went to their show in London this past summer. I think both bands would definitely be interested to try it out for one or two shows if Zep do decide to tour more. (Remember, they have confirmed nothing, a lot of people are assuming they will.) Both bands would probably find newfound respect by playing in front of the other band's audience as well.

I'm glad to see a positive response in this thread, as I agree with that.

As for the negative people in this thread saying they don't want to it happen, they probably aren't Metallica fans. Metallica gets a lot of haters. And I had a feeling this topic was going to get a lot of mixed opinions so to each their own.

Led Zeppelin sharing the stage with Foreigner was also a major success, the audience at the O2 seemed to like Foreigner. So Zeppelin sharing the stage with other bands wouldn't be a problem.

Page is a fan of Metallica, I agree with that so that's why I see something like this happening.

As for the negative people in this thread saying they don't want to it happen, they probably aren't Metallica fans. Metallica gets a lot of haters. And I had a feeling this topic was going to get a lot of mixed opinions so to each their own.

First off, I think it's been well established that if given a choice most of us don't want ANY opening act. They simply don't need one.

Second, I like Metallica so that has nothing to do with me not wanting them playing at a Zeppelin show. Metallica could pose additional problems that perhaps you aren't considering, mainly ticket demand.

It's going to be hard enough to score tickets to any Zep show without adding hardcore Metallica fans to the mix. I know some Metallica fans who don't like Led Zeppelin at all, but would eat their young to be at a Metallica show. Is that what we need? I don't think so... If they tour I want as many die hard Zeppelin fans as possible to get in.

Led Zeppelin sharing the stage with Foreigner was also a major success, the audience at the O2 seemed to like Foreigner. So Zeppelin sharing the stage with other bands wouldn't be a problem.

Foreigner is a contemporary of Led Zeppelin, and only appeared because it was a benefit show. Nobody was there to see Foreigner....

Page is a fan of Metallica, I agree with that so that's why I see something like this happening.

You keep saying that, but I've never heard this before. Regardless, I'm sure Page has been to a shitload of concerts and 99% of them were never considered for an opening act for Zeppelin. He's a fan of Les Paul too, is Les in the mix?

I don't think Led Zeppelin would do it because they don't like to be associated as or with a heavy metal band.

They constantly deny any direct connections to trying to influence heavy metal and the world often labels them as heavy metal and they don't like it.

I agree and not only!

If LZ will play live again and do a two hours set ... why a supporting act??

Isn't it enough?

Metallica and Zep are not related and fans are, mostly, really different. It makes no sense only one of the rumors of these days.

Please, stop it!

I agree and not only!

If LZ will play live again and do a two hours set ... why a supporting act??

Isn't it enough?

Metallica and Zep are not related and fans are, mostly, really different. It makes no sense only one of the rumors of these days.

Please, stop it!

The fan crossover between Metallica and Led Zeppelin is not as strong as you would think.My impression is much stronger crossover between Pink Floyd and Zeppelin even though their music is totally different. The only thing the two share with eachother is they were to the two giants of rock in 70s,both have strong catalog sales and huge fan bases worldwide

If, and it's a big if, they do decide to tour. They will only be playing two/two and a half hour sets. Page has made it very clear in interviews he is no longer capible(sp?) of playing 3-4 hour sets but two/two and a half is do able. I suspect that this is also true for Mr Plant who would be putting an emense amount of pressure on his voice.

As a result of this I suspect there would be support bands in order that Zep felt they were giving fans true value for money. If the rumours are true that they have reserved Wembley do you really think that they would only do a short (for them) set and not have a full supporting bill..

As for what I think about Metallica doing it, dunno. Foo Fighters might be a better choice..

Wow... I am actually torn here. I happen to love both Zep and Metallica, but I think it would be tough to sit through an entire set of Metallica and then have the energy that I would want to devote to enjoying Zep for two hours. I have seen Metallica 4 or 5 times and loved it, but also wouldn't want to have to smell the people for two hours during a Zep set that just poured all their energy and sweat into a pit for Metallica.

Now the big question of course... Would I(or anyone) be there? Damn right!

I suspect there would be support bands in order that Zep felt they were giving fans true value for money.

Are you serious? If they only played 5 songs there would be a stampede at the box office. I'll bet there were people outside the O2 who would have paid face value just to see the encores.

A tour at this point is speculation anyway, an opening act is even more speculation. It's possible that there could be an opening act but they certainly don't need one.

There was no support on the Over Europe' tour but obviously there was a whole bill at Knebworth. If it happens I think it will be just them. If there was a support act I don't think it would be a heavy metal/ hard rock act.

That's true... Look at the opening acts when Page and Plant toured. Rusted Root was hardly heavy metal... I'll never forget seeing them for the first time thinking,"WTF is this crap and why the hell isn't that guy wearing any shoes???"

Now, of course, I do have a better appreciation for a wider variety of music...

I'd never heard of Rusted Root until I saw them - pretty cool band though. I think it's far more likley to be a band like that though. Or maybe some of JPJ's bluegrass buddies. Alison Krauss's band even.

None at all would still be my idea - who'd want to warm up people despearte for LZ to come on - it would be a really thankless task.

I'd never heard of Rusted Root until I saw them - pretty cool band though. I think it's far more likley to be a band like that though. Or maybe some of JPJ's bluegrass buddies. Alison Krauss's band even.

None at all would still be my idea - who'd want to warm up people despearte for LZ to come on - it would be a really thankless task.

True... but think of the exposure! That would be thanks enough for an act on the cusp of breaking out.

First off, I think it's been well established that if given a choice most of us don't want ANY opening

It's going to be hard enough to score tickets to any Zep show without adding hardcore Metallica fans to the mix. I know some Metallica fans who don't like Led Zeppelin at all, but would eat their young to be at a Metallica show. Is that what we need? I don't think so... If they tour I want as many die hard Zeppelin fans as possible to get in.

That's an important point I had never considered.

You are so right. We don't want Metallica!

or anyone for that matter.

Tickets only for Zeppelin fans!!

Archived