London Riots

2bitnogoodjive

Hero from the old school who took on the looters loses his fight for life

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025079/LONDON-RIOTS-Ealing-hero-Richard-Mannington-Bowes-dies.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

He was never a man to walk away from something he considered wrong.

But the civic pride and old fashioned values of Richard Mannington Bowes, cost him his life.

Detectives have launched a murder investigation following the death of the 68-year-old in hospital late last night after three days on a life support machine.

He sustained serious head injuries after he was set upon by thugs and knocked over as he tried to stamp out a fire at the height of the riots on Monday night.

Police said next of kin have been informed and a post-mortem examination will be held in due course.

Detective Chief Inspector John McFarlane of the Homicide and Serious Crime Command said: ‘This was a brutal incident that resulted in the senseless killing of an innocent man.

‘I still need the assistance of the community who may have witnessed the attack on Richard, to come forward and provide information or images they may have recorded on mobile devices. This information could be crucial in catching his killer.’

Prior to his death, his sister last night spoke of her distress at his plight and Mayor of London Boris Johnson described him as a ‘hero’. In fact, it was the first time in 30 years that Mr Bowes and his sister, mother of three Anne Wilderspin, 73, have been in contact.

Mrs Wilderspin, who lives in Derbyshire, has travelled down to London to see her gravely ill brother.

‘I was shocked,’ she said. ‘It was sort of unreal because you don’t think anything like that happens to a relative of yours.

‘We’ve been horrified by the reports of the riots. I’m very sad that we have to see him like this, but in one way I’m very pleased that we could make contact again.’

Boris Johnson, on a visit to see the riot damage in the West London suburb, said: ‘There are many villains in this story but also many heroes and I want to pay particular tribute to Mr Bowes.

More than 1,000 arrests have been made in London connected to the riots, 1,500 across Britain. What saddens me is the age of some of the offenders, one is just 12. The parents of these kids have to take some responsibility for their actions.

More than a 100,000 people have signed an onlin petition calling for anyone convicted of participation in the riots to lose any welfare benefits they currently receive. While I agree there needs to be some sort of severe penalty that goes beyond being convicted with a criminal record, I think this will only make the situation worse.

As far as I'm aware there were no riots anywhere last night, but then it was raining in most places of Britain.

I don't see any connection whatsoever. The people in the riots were thugs, vandals and thieves. Can't imagine you are trying to say that about the good folk of NY are you?

BTW - have you seen what's been happening in Philly lately? Does that also have any connection to the Osama celebrations?

I don't see any connection whatsoever. The people in the riots were thugs, vandals and thieves. Can't imagine you are trying to say that about the good folk of NY are you?

BTW - have you seen what's been happening in Philly lately? Does that also have any connection to the Osama celebrations?

Wasnt trying to say there is any connection between the two. Just as much as i am sickened by whats going on in London (I love London btw) as i am when it happens in major cities in the US or Canade over a stupid sporting event or over a verdict in a high profile case. NYC always seems to get a bad wrap for anything that happens there whether positive or negative. That is one of the reasons why i took such a strong stance in the Osama thread.

The level of ignorance amongst these kids I find particularly astounding. They don't even know which party is in government, yet by looting they seem to think they're making some sort of political statement about division between the rich and poor. We need to be teaching these kids about civic responsibility. I don't just mean the current citizenship classes which are presently a waste of time. I mean really educating them about politics and how to behave in democratic society.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14458424

The same could be said of teenagers and young adults here. Hell, the same could be said for some adults here, too. I actually work with someone who not only didn't know who Dan Quayle was, but when asked, couldn't tell you who the current VP is.

So fret not, we have our own teeming, ignorant masses to worry about as well.

Fair enough, how about a minimum sentence of 1,000 hours (83 twelve hour days) of supervised community service instead? The remaining final four hours at the end will consist of supervised community retribution (a public ass-whipping).

Unfortunately most of the offenders are too young to go to real prison. We need borstal sytle centres where these kids can be exposed to discipline, and can learn the values of having a work ethic and respect for those in authority.

Martial law would be declared if it ever got like this over here. As far as "shoot to kill" orders go, maybe but I seriously doubt that unless it got totally out of control. The northeastern cities wouldn't allow shoot on sight orders but I'm guessing southern or midwestern cities might.

I hope we don't have to ever find that out.

I have my doubts.

In the US, such rioting could and would get Marshall Law declared, the national Guard called out, and possibly shoot to kill orders to restore peace and tranquility....

I suggested that on You Tube about the London riots and one response was to shoot the police.

Typical thug attitude: Blame the cops!!

<_<

Archived