New News from Jimmy Page?

Black-Dog

Chris Squire is well known as the only person who has performed on every album put out by Yes, but the bassist almost became even more famous for a band that ended up never happening. Squire recently revealed that he and Yes drummer Alan White almost became the rhythm section of a Led Zeppelin offshoot following the tragic death of drummer John Bonham in 1980.

“One day [Jimmy Page] rang me up and said that he really couldn’t sit around not doing anything anymore and would Alan and I go over and have a play with him — just sort of like so he could get back into playing music again,” Squire explained to Classic Rock Magazine.

“Obviously he was a bit devastated over what happened to John. We went on [playing] like that for a while, and the theory was that [Zeppelin singer] Robert [Plant] was going to come join us and do some singing. But it was all too early for him. He didn’t really wanna get back into thinking about forming another band … if Robert had come down we’d have got on with it and it would have happened.”

So, there you have it. Had this unnamed supergroup taken off, Plant and Page may have never formed the post-Zeppelin outfit the Honeydrippers, turned in a shambolic Zeppelin reunion performance in front of 1.9 billion TV viewers at Live Aid, or embarked on their mid-’90s UnLedded tour.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-led-zeppelin-supergroup/

This is not news to me, though perhaps it is for casual or newer fans. This project began in February 1981. Robert wasn't interested as he was already plotting a course with a band of his own, who began touring the following month as The Honeydrippers. Some of the musical ideas the Squire/White/Page lineup recorded were recycled by Jimmy for The Firm.

It was indeed called XYZ and has been discussed on this board many times. Do not search for XYZ though as it is too short a term and will yield no results. Search for Chris Squire. The music sounds interesting. Jimmy uses the B-bender a lot. And yes, Alan White (while being an exceptionally good drummer) is utterly unlike Bonham's. Which is interesting. It is interesting to see Jimmy adapt to such a radically different rhythm section. In many of the threads here there are links to tunes from this lineup.

Alan White is no John Bonham.

A more interesting mix would have been Carl Palmer, Chris Squire, JP and a singer.

I don't know about that. Alan White is pretty amazing. Much more simliar to Bonham's style then Carl Palmer. Palmer is flashier no doubt.

This is not news to me, though perhaps it is for casual or newer fans. This project began in February 1981. Robert wasn't interested as he was already plotting a course with a band of his own, who began touring the following month as The Honeydrippers. Some of the musical ideas the Squire/White/Page lineup recorded were recycled by Jimmy for The Firm.

Fortune Hunter off of The Firm's second LP was one of those tracks and another one appeared on Yes' Maginification CD released on Sept 11, 2001.

Alan White is no John Bonham.

A more interesting mix would have been Carl Palmer, Chris Squire, JP and a singer.

And who is? :-)

I thought Carl Palmer's drumming off of ASIA (around 1980) would have been an interesting mix with Page, Plant and Jones under a new band name.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived