Top Ten Letterman Moments

Jahfin

Where's Drew Barrymore flashing him on his birthday? Where's Teri Garr taking a shower? Where's the Wall of Velcro? Where's the stuff they would drop from the top of their building? Where's Brother Theodore? Where's Larry 'Bud' Melman?

And I wish people would stop forgetting his MORNING show that he had before the Late Night show...there was some funny stuff on that show and I wish NBC would put it out on DVD.

One of my favorite lists (some of the references are pretty dated - MCI??? lulz):

Top 10 Mafia euphemisms for death:

10. Checked into the Wooden Waldorf.

9. No longer eligible for the census.

8. Dropping both AT&T and MCI.

7. Your highway taxes at work.

6. Upcoming guest on 20/20.

5. He's fallen and he can't get up.

4. Resting his organs.

3. McRibs (for a limited time only).

2. Kicked the oxygen habit.

And the No. 1 euphemism...

1. Bought a Yugo.

The Crispin Glover one is the only one worthy of being on that list. Letterman's interview with a very drunken Oliver Reed was also great. And ANY time Chris Elliott came out as his bizarre rendition of Marlon Brando was the funniest moments that TV had to offer in 1987-1988... bananas!!!

^^^Yeah, loved the Chris Elliott bits, Kaiser. Also loved when he would call that girl who worked in the building across the street. Or Rupert's Deli.

Miss Melanie...thanks for posting those alka-seltzer suit and sponge-suit bits...if you could find and post the rice krispy-suit bit that would be awesome!

The Crispin Glover one is the only one worthy of being on that list. Letterman's interview with a very drunken Oliver Reed was also great. And ANY time Chris Elliott came out as his bizarre rendition of Marlon Brando was the funniest moments that TV had to offer in 1987-1988... bananas!!!

Never was a huge fan of Elliott or his Brando impersonations but I did like The Man Under the Seats sketch he did. I also liked the thing Strider mentioned, when Dave would call Meg who worked in the same building. There was even one instance were he lowered a phone out of the window of his building down to the office where she worked so she could talk to him on the air. All of the man in the street stuff was great, as was throwing stuff off of the top of the building. I also really like when he sent Larry "Bud" Melman on that trip to South America on a RV. I'm sure a great deal (if not all) of that was staged, I just don't know how much. By the end, Melman's phone calls were full of absolute rage as he begged Letterman to have him flown back to the U.S. I haven't tuned into his show in a while but I'd say the NBC years easily trump the CBS years because he could get away with so much more during that time slot. Then, there were all of the musical moments like Warren Zevon's last performances and seeing R.E.M. on network television for the very first time.

• 3 years later...

Just finished watching the last late show with David Letterman, man does he go back a long way, since I was a teen he was still sitting behind that late show desk in that chair, what a long career he has had. So many memories.

My favorite Letterman moment was when Sandra Bernhard got bit by "Zippy the chimp"....who was zipping around the stage on roller blades. Zippy eventually bit her on the hand...and she started to cry.

Dave: Are you alright ?

Sandra : (thru tears) I think so

Dave: That's good, or we'd have to get Zippy a tetenus shot.

Worked Afternoons in the early 80's, and Dave was the only thing on at 1:00am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSjL4u7u4x4

I thought the show last night was practically perfect. Not too sentimental, lots of laughs, tons of clips, and some heartfelt emotion. And the Foo Fighters, fighting foo!

Good bye and thanks Dave. I'll miss you!!

End of an era. I watched the final Letterman show at the Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip, where Dave performed when he was starting out in stand-up. The Comedy Store hosted a Letterman watching party last night.

ebk is correct...practically a perfect send-off. Never got too maudlin and it was nice to see Regina and his son. It is sad that Robin Williams wasn't alive for the last show, for like Bill Murray, he had many memorable appearances on Letterman.

Too bad Brother Theodore, Larry 'Bud' Melman, Bill Wendell, Chris Elliott, and others were no longer around to pay a final visit.

The musical performances have been terrific the past week or so, but if you know the circumstances of Dave's quadruple-bypass heart surgery, then you understand why the Foo Fighters were the perfect choice...and why "Everlong" the perfect song for the end.

Adios Dave!

My favorite Letterman moment was when Sandra Bernhard got bit by "Zippy the chimp"....who was zipping around the stage on roller blades. Zippy eventually bit her on the hand...and she started to cry.

Dave: Are you alright ?

Sandra : (thru tears) I think so

Dave: That's good, or we'd have to get Zippy a tetenus shot.

Worked Afternoons in the early 80's, and Dave was the only thing on at 1:00am.

FIFY :)

End of an era. I watched the final Letterman show at the Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip, where Dave performed when he was starting out in stand-up. The Comedy Store hosted a Letterman watching party last night.

ebk is correct...practically a perfect send-off. Never got too maudlin and it was nice to see Regina and his son. It is sad that Robin Williams wasn't alive for the last show, for like Bill Murray, he had many memorable appearances on Letterman.

Too bad Brother Theodore, Larry 'Bud' Melman, Bill Wendell, Chris Elliott, and others were no longer around to pay a final visit.

The musical performances have been terrific the past week or so, but if you know the circumstances of Dave's quadruple-bypass heart surgery, then you understand why the Foo Fighters were the perfect choice...and why "Everlong" the perfect song for the end.

Adios Dave!

I was wondering what the Foo Fighter connection is......didn't Dave say they quite literally saved his life? Am more curious now and will go look for this story when done here. And I agree it was an excellent final show.

Archived