The nineties

Janvier

The nineties were a golden era. The economy was in full swing, Greenspan kept inflation tight and to quote Billy Joel, "I wore a younger man's clothes". Radio stations were beaming very pleasant rock music from the alternative bands.

Of course some troubling signs (Martha Stewart, Enron, the financial bubble) were looming on the horizon, but in general they were the best and the happiest of times. I thrived...

I made the most money ever as a laborer in the construction trade. But it's also the decade I had to give it up due to injury.

I suffered a career ending injury then too. But when I think of the nineties as being so long past, it makes me feel that much older. Because I grew up in the sixties and seventies. To me the seventies will always have the magic, musically at least. The days of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, and so many great bands. The nineties would have been much better had my Bills won one of those Super Bowls.

The nineties were a golden era. The economy was in full swing, Greenspan kept inflation tight and to quote Billy Joel, "I wore a younger man's clothes". Radio stations were beaming very pleasant rock music from the alternative bands.

Of course some troubling signs (Martha Stewart, Enron, the financial bubble) were looming on the horizon, but in general they were the best and the happiest of times. I thrived...

Zemun, are you the former "spidersandsnakes" back in disguise?

Probably not, as your post displays a shocking lack of EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!

I always find it inexplicable and too soon for "Nineties nostalgia"...until I realize the decade began over 20 years ago. Good grief, I'm getting old.

The best thing about Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" is the film's theme of how every generation pines for a time before they were born. Owen Wilson thinks Paris of the 20s-30s was the greatest; Marion Cotillard thinks it was the Paris of La Belle Époque, and when they both go back to that era, the artists they meet pine for the Renaissance.

^^^I have always been "Strider"...even going back to the daze of Sam's Electric Magic site, and shall remain Strider.

I've noticed a new member here that has my JimmyPage.com member name...which was a little disconcerting at first.

Hahahahaha. This place is loaded with retuned banned exiles. Myself included except I have a get out of jail free card. For now. Fingers crossed I will stay in their good graces. Ha. :lol:

Rick, I remember your profile under the Silvermedalist title, but never saw you as a problem, nor do I see you as one now-your fine in my book.

^^^I have always been "Strider"...even going back to the daze of Sam's Electric Magic site, and shall remain Strider.

I've noticed a new member here that has my JimmyPage.com member name...which was a little disconcerting at first.

At least you cant copy a name on this site. I was on another site and someone used my name to post all kinds of garbage obviously to get me in trouble and put me in a very bad place as far as reputation is concerned. They have this set up very well. I hope they do not mistake this guy for you.

At least you cant copy a name on this site. I was on another site and someone used my name to post all kinds of garbage obviously to get me in trouble and put me in a very bad place as far as reputation is concerned. They have this set up very well. I hope they do not mistake this guy for you.

It would only be a problem if JP.com had a message board...since it doesn't, no worries.

Ok, it's official...this thread has been JACKED! :lol:

Rick, I remember your profile under the Silvermedalist title, but never saw you as a problem, nor do I see you as one now-your fine in my book.

Thanks Rock Historian. If only everyone felt that way. Some people are always going to dislike others. Human nature

I really loved the 90's. Being born in 1987, I was just a kid in the 90's. From my perspective, things seemed a lot simpler those days. I did not have a care in the world and I couldn't be bothered about the things worrying the grown-ups. Frankly, I really miss those days because I really miss my childhood. Plain and simple. But I have come to realise that in life, change is inevitable and we all grow up eventually and move on. Looking back, I don't have any regrets and I would go back and do it all again! :)

There's also a 90s thread here if you want to check it out.

Oh and I forgot to add, I associate the 90's with things like:

Seinfeld

Friends

Classic Cartoon Network

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Grunge

:)

all of the above plus Pottery Barn and Jakob Dylan. And Jeff Magnum.

And I think Starbucks wasn't as ubiquitous as it was in the 2000s?

Married the misses.

All my pups were born in the 90's.

$5 for gasoline lasted all week.

Had a house payment of only $700 year . I hate to tell you what i am paying now for the same pad.

Switched career to teaching in the 90's.

Saw Page and Plant.

Browns moved to Baltimore.

Last time O's made the playoffs.

I would say the 90's were a pivotal time in my life, if that's just a few things I can remember.

Married the misses.

All my pups were born in the 90's.

$5 for gasoline lasted all week.

Had a house payment of only $700 year . I hate to tell you what i am paying now for the same pad.

Switched career to teaching in the 90's.

Saw Page and Plant.

Browns moved to Baltimore.

Last time O's made the playoffs.

I would say the 90's were a pivotal time in my life, if that's just a few things I can remember.

Black Dawg, I am an O's fan and it still seems like 1983 was the last relevant time for us. I do not know about the gas thing? I would have to say maybe a bit exaggerated as to $5 lasting a week, what were you driving for Gods sake? Ill take the 70s thank you. Did not know my ex wife. Saw Led Zeppelin. Dreams were limitless.

Ill take the 70s thank you. Did not know my ex wife. Saw Led Zeppelin. Dreams were limitless.

I agree. Although the 70's had its' own problems it's like a different universe when compared to modern life.

I did like the 90's though, my kids grew up and came of age..............plenty of good memories there.

I was born in 1987 and although I probably would have loved growing up in the 60s or 70s, I really enjoyed growing up in the 90s. It was very carefree and I think kids were still innocent back then not like how they are today. I loved playing outside after school, playing kickball and jump rope. Going to visit family in the countryside, walking through apple orchards and playing hide and seek.

The tv shows and cartoons(Doug, Hey Arnold!, Bug Juice and Frasier) were great and to me as a teenage girl who had yet to discover Zeppelin the music was great too! I embarrassingly loved Nsync and the Back Street Boys. I loved Nirvana and Pearl Jam and I adored(and still do) the Spice Girls and the whole "Girl Power!" I did not start listening to Zeppelin and other amazing bands until the very late 90s.

Black Dawg, I am an O's fan and it still seems like 1983 was the last relevant time for us. I do not know about the gas thing? I would have to say maybe a bit exaggerated as to $5 lasting a week, what were you driving for Gods sake? Ill take the 70s thank you. Did not know my ex wife. Saw Led Zeppelin. Dreams were limitless.

1983 was the year of Magic

I drove a Golf my commute was 2 .5 miles.

1983 was the year of Magic

I drove a Golf my commute was 2 .5 miles.

Yeah Ripkens rookie year and Joe Altobelli, a local from here, that still shows at the local race track now and then, was the manager. He managed those great Red Wings teams of 1970 and 71 and tood over for Earl Weaver. Still say the 71 O's were better by far though. I guess one great thing about the 90's is it was pre 911.

Archived