First Pressings of In Through the Out Door

Jahfin

310008899776.jpg

For hardcore collectors I'm sure this is nothing new but today when I was perusing old vinyl at a local antiques shop I noticed a copy of In Through the Out Door for sale that made note on the cover of the word "Strawberry" being etched into the run off groove. Just from my little bit of research I've discovered that means it's a first pressing. They were only asking $10 for it so it's not like it's a rarity or anything but when I got home I had to check my copy as well and it also has "Strawberry" etched into the dead wax. Again, not a huge surprise but still cool to know. Believe it or not, when In Through the Out Door first came out I bought it on cassette first. Since I have a first pressing I'm guessing it wasn't all that much longer that I got around to purchasing it on vinyl.

Wondering if there's a link between strawberries and Crowley...

I'm not sure but I long ago checked my copy of Led Zeppelin III to see if it was a first pressing. Lo and behold, it is. That's really strange because I'm sure I didn't purchase it when that album was new.

According to this: "copies of Led III contained the phrase The "Do what thou wilt/so mote be it" was a famous quote from a hero of Page, Aleister Crowley. It was only inscribed in the run-off areas of early pressings of the album."

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Led-Zeppelin-501/2010/8/LZ-matrix.htm

Sadly, my original LP is long gone. I vaguely recall it had some bizarre thing written on the run off and I'll bet that was it.

The inner sleeve thing is something I never knew anything about until I joined this board. I may have heard about it way back when In Through the Out Door first came out but I probably forgot about it. By the way, I've never tried it (though I'm sure it works).

The inner sleeve thing is something I never knew anything about until I joined this board. I may have heard about it way back when In Through the Out Door first came out but I probably forgot about it. By the way, I've never tried it (though I'm sure it works).

I touched the inner sleave with a wet finger, the ashtray changed colour so I licked my finger and found the nuts changed colour too.

I really could have phrased that better.....

For me it was just by chance...

Edited by Cecil.

For me it was just by chance...

It was for me too. I was listening to the album one hot afternoon and had a glass of iced tea... and you know how anything cold in a glass "sweats" in the summer... well, I picked the glass up to take a drink and a droplet fell on the album sleeve. I freaked out! Grabbed a towel and tried to gently dab it away and lo and behold... it was changing colors!

Now... for the hint about this... on the cover under the brown paper bag, there's the various photos of "John" at the bar... and the front cover has a swipe over the black and white photo and everything within that swipe is in color. So... Zeppelin were hinting at it and it was quite a cool idea. Definitely freaked some friends out back in the day under the right influence! :)

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/16/2012 at 12:09 AM, Jahfin said:

310008899776.jpg

For hardcore collectors I'm sure this is nothing new but today when I was perusing old vinyl at a local antiques shop I noticed a copy of In Through the Out Door for sale that made note on the cover of the word "Strawberry" being etched into the run off groove. Just from my little bit of research I've discovered that means it's a first pressing. They were only asking $10 for it so it's not like it's a rarity or anything but when I got home I had to check my copy as well and it also has "Strawberry" etched into the dead wax. Again, not a huge surprise but still cool to know. Believe it or not, when In Through the Out Door first came out I bought it on cassette first. Since I have a first pressing I'm guessing it wasn't all that much longer that I got around to purchasing it on vinyl.

Not a 1st issue pictured, yours has the Warner logo in the rim text.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:48 PM, The Only Way To Fly said:

Maybe Strawberry was a reference to the wonderful strain of weed called "Strawberry Cough"? I do love some good Strawberry. 

Strawberry was  mastering lab located in the UK.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:45 PM, Zeppered said:

Not a 1st issue pictured, yours has the Warner logo in the rim text.

Pictured here is a first-press US release, with "Strawberry" in the run-off (upper right-hand corner of picture).

ITTOD strawb.jpg

Edited by dpat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/4/2019 at 10:58 PM, Pb! said:

I was recently told the copies that had brown print on the outer bag are 1st pressings, and the ones with blue came out later. I don't know if that's true.

I bought all 4 available covers on 20/8/79 (day of release) and mine are all blue so that’s not true.

Edited by Fat Albert 72

• 1 year later...

help me please. I'm new and learning still. I have a Led Zeppelin in though the out door Sleeve "A" vinyl record . I need to know if it is first pressing, or what I actually have? matrix reads ST-SS-794345-L STRAWBERRY (PR) (SP) 0-5SM2-

I have looked all over discogs.com ebay, popsike and I don't understand how to know if its a first pressing or not and what pressing it even is. Please send me some knowledge.  Thanks amanda