2012 Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

I'm no NYY expert and hope they don't win another game ;-), but I have to disagree that they don't develop players. Jeter, Mariano, Cano, Chamberlain (ugh), Hughes, Petitte. Recent past, Posada and Bernie (I think).

I'm no NYY expert and hope they don't win another game ;-), but I have to disagree that they don't develop players. Jeter, Mariano, Cano, Chamberlain (ugh), Hughes, Petitte. Recent past, Posada and Bernie (I think).

You are correct sir! People are always bitching and moaning about the Yankees. They don't even bitch about the Red Sox having almost the payroll (before they traded them all), the Angels and Rangers spending like there is no tomorrow, etc. Just the Yankees! Hey, if you got it - spend it. It is not against the rules in MLB, for better or worse!

Plus Baltimore has a former YANKEE manager that FINALLY got them to the playoffs again! Oh, the hypocrisy of it all!!!

;)

I'm not a sir, but trust me, the Sox fans hear it constantly. The last two years have been horrible because they did have the 4th highest payroll in the league and still failed to make the playoffs. I think the MLB salary structure sucks, but it is not the fault of the teams who have it to spend, and certainly not the fault of the fans. The Player's Association will probably never let it change.

You are correct sir! People are always bitching and moaning about the Yankees. They don't even bitch about the Red Sox having almost the payroll (before they traded them all), the Angels and Rangers spending like there is no tomorrow, etc. Just the Yankees! Hey, if you got it - spend it. It is not against the rules in MLB, for better or worse!

Plus Baltimore has a former YANKEE manager that FINALLY got them to the playoffs again! Oh, the hypocrisy of it all!!!

;)

Back in the 70's the teams that were able to have strong farm systems were the teams that succeeded. Baltimore and the LA Dodgers were the best in the business. When free agency rules changed the game changed and teams like Kansas City and Pittsburgh who were once powerhouse's, now have no chance to get back to where they were. Kansas City is doing a remarkable job, just like the A's did this year and perhaps next year they will be in the race? Buck is a smart guy and makes great choices chosing players, but he doesnt spend the money. I could never cheer for the Yankees and all the dirty pool they have played over the years.

Back to the game and the series, Baltimore won every series in NY this year. Yeah, 2 of 3. And the last one in convincing fashion. Gonzalez may be our best pitcher. I like the matchup tomorrow big time. This Orioles team some may say defied the odds and all. But they are not going away any time soon. Win or lose this series they will be good next year, their young pitching staff will be even better.

I'm not a sir, but trust me, the Sox fans hear it constantly. The last two years have been horrible because they did have the 4th highest payroll in the league and still failed to make the playoffs. I think the MLB salary structure sucks, but it is not the fault of the teams who have it to spend, and certainly not the fault of the fans. The Player's Association will probably never let it change.

You are correct, ma'am! ;)

:)

Back in the 70's the teams that were able to have strong farm systems were the teams that succeeded. Baltimore and the LA Dodgers were the best in the business. When free agency rules changed the game changed and teams like Kansas City and Pittsburgh who were once powerhouse's, now have no chance to get back to where they were. Kansas City is doing a remarkable job, just like the A's did this year and perhaps next year they will be in the race? Buck is a smart guy and makes great choices chosing players, but he doesnt spend the money. I could never cheer for the Yankees and all the dirty pool they have played over the years.

.....and who won two titles and played in 3 World Series in the 70's? You guessed it! Actually, the Royals and Yankees ruled the AL pretty much through '81. Then the Yankees never won again until what '96 when they came back with a bunch of home grown players! Your argument doesn't hold much water. Baseball has changed since the 60's - a lot! Yes, teams in smaller markets with smaller payrolls do have a chance - they just have to be smart about how they conduct their business. Money does not = championships. Biggest contract paid out this year in the history of the sport and guess what, they didn't make the playoffs - even with an extra "Wild Card" team! Enjoy your win last night, you guys earned it and I'm glad for you. Just stop whining already!

.....and who won two titles and played in 3 World Series in the 70's? You guessed it! Actually, the Royals and Yankees ruled the AL pretty much through '81. Then the Yankees never won again until what '96 when they came back with a bunch of home grown players! Your argument doesn't hold much water. Baseball has changed since the 60's - a lot! Yes, teams in smaller markets with smaller payrolls do have a chance - they just have to be smart about how they conduct their business. Money does not = championships. Biggest contract paid out this year in the history of the sport and guess what, they didn't make the playoffs - even with an extra "Wild Card" team! Enjoy your win last night, you guys earned it and I'm glad for you. Just stop whining already!

Walter, the Orioles went to four world series. Make it five if you want to count 66. But 69, 71, and two others in early seventies. Lost to the miracle Mets in 69, my first series that I watched the entire thing. Paul Blair hit the first pitch over the center field wall. Then the big win over Cincy when Brooks starred in that one. Then the two losses to the Pirates and we were up 3-1 in both. But we were a powerhouse and the Yankees sucked in those years. The A's and Reds were great too. And the Dodgers were great. Minnesota was good with Rod Carew but never could beat the Orioles.

I know your Oriole history Rick. Just pointing out that when the Yankees win titles it's due to home grown talent at the core. A-Roid has only won one there because he's truly a loser, they won inspite of his choke jobs and I will NEVER accept him as a Yankee - just like Clemens!

I know your Oriole history Rick. Just pointing out that when the Yankees win titles it's due to home grown talent at the core. A-Roid has only won one there because he's truly a loser, they won inspite of his choke jobs and I will NEVER accept him as a Yankee - just like Clemens!

Funny you should say that. A friend of mine who is a die hard Yankee fan hates A Rod. He says "we are stuck with him 3 more years". Yet the guy has incredible talent. I think his problem is he just does not care. He has his money and cares more about who he is going to bang after the game.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/20516852/alds-orioles-yankees-game-3-preview-miguel-gonzalez-vs-hiroki-kuroda

Gonzalez was 2-0 with a 2.63 ERA vs Yankees. I say this is the game we have a decided edge in the starting pitchers. We need Jones and Weiters to get their bats going. And it would be nice to see Reynolds return to his form vs Yankees. I do not worry about Davis. He has been our most reliable RBI man. I would use Hunter if Buck goes to the pen. He is as rested as possible.

My money is on Oakland tonight to avoid the sweep. Maybe Bongman can tell us how this pitching matchup looks? Verlander and Fizer will be waiting in the wings if they fail tonight. I just cant see Oakland being swept after playing so well. The Giants also but I am not as confident on that one.

I would be very suprised if the Reds don't finish off the Giants today and I think Oakland survives for at least one more day but Detroit wins the series.

baseball-3979.gif

If Oakland can beat Verlander they could rally. They will not go quietly. But my main focus is on the Big Apple tomorrow. Go Orioles!!! There is more magic awaiting.

People are always bitching and moaning about the Yankees. They don't even bitch about the Red Sox having almost the payroll (before they traded them all), the Angels and Rangers spending like there is no tomorrow, etc. Just the Yankees!

In fairness, if the Red Sox were in the Play-Offs, I'd want them to lose, too. I'm glad they sucked bad this year

Homer Bailey pitched a beauty but unfortunately for him a baserunning error by Brandon Phillips will cost him a victory and could cost the Reds this game.

The Reds can afford to lose a game. The Giants and A's cannot. My money is down on the A's and I layed a run. Forum fodder.

Now they are showing Reggie Jackson. Another classic example of the Yankees greed. To me he will always be an Oakland A

I remember going to see Reggie at the stadium as a kid in the late 70's, he was my fav yankee growing up. My father,grandfather, and great grandfather hated him...Reggie was just a little too outspoken for some older fans back then.

Back to my current status of baseball anguish .....I just had to get away from TV for a few days...me and the wife took the kids down to San Antonio for a long weekend, putting sports on hold for a bit.

Error? Are you talking about the Reds game, if so Scott Rolen the 3rd baseman got the error. And yes, that was a hell of a catch by Crisp.

Yes you are correct on both,. Reds game the error and Cocoa Crisp's catch. What a name. Maybe his mother poured a gallon of milk on him when he was born.

Archived