2012 Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

22 strikeouts in two wins in a 5 game series....dominate and record-setting. He could have pitched 15 innings last night. Well Rick.....the way I've got it figured, if we play the Orioles, America roots for you guys. If we play the Yanks...they cheer for us. I'll just be glad to play an east coast team. These late games are killing me !

22 strikeouts in two wins in a 5 game series....dominate and record-setting. He could have pitched 15 innings last night. Well Rick.....the way I've got it figured, if we play the Orioles, America roots for you guys. If we play the Yanks...they cheer for us. I'll just be glad to play an east coast team. These late games are killing me !

I have been up watching marathon games. What Detroit did was not easy. They beat a very good A's team and in my mind right now they are the clear favorites over either my O's or the Yankees. Verlander and Fizer give you an edge and Cabrera. I am not impressed with how the Orioles and Yankees both have really not been able to hit. I know the pitching is good but not when you go that deep in the rotation and you still cant hit. And A Rod? Does not deserve the money he gets. He is only worried about who he is going to be banging after the game, whether its Madonna or whoever. I really want to win this game. i know Sabathia makes them the clear favorite. But can he pitch two gems back to back? I am not quite sure. if they dont hit, we beat them. We find a way.

back to Detroit. The only thing that I find to be their weakness is the fact, number one their record was not great and the Whte Sox almost had them. I do not think they are deep. I think the Orioles and Yankees are deeper at the back end. But they have a few stars that can make a difference. Cabrera and Verlander is enough said.

Was thinking that Verlander wont get to pitch until game three at the earliest?

Yep....Fister starts game 1, Sanchez, Verlander, and Sherzer. That sets up Verlander for a game 7. Kind of surprised they didn't throw a day off in there and start Sunday. If we play Baltimore, we're the home team, so I guess I'm an Oriole fan today. I sure would like the chance to kick some more Yankee butt though.

You're right about A-Rod. He's playing like an old man....oh wait, he is ! Kind of like that Cabrera was silent in the Oakland series. That won't last. Last night was the hardest I've ever cheered for a guy being hit by a pitch !

Yep....Fister starts game 1, Sanchez, Verlander, and Sherzer. That sets up Verlander for a game 7. Kind of surprised they didn't throw a day off in there and start Sunday. If we play Baltimore, we're the home team, so I guess I'm an Oriole fan today. I sure would like the chance to kick some more Yankee butt though.

You're right about A-Rod. He's playing like an old man....oh wait, he is ! Kind of like that Cabrera was silent in the Oakland series. That won't last. Last night was the hardest I've ever cheered for a guy being hit by a pitch !

I think you should fear the Orioles more than the Yankees and I will tell you why. We have a very well rested Tillman who has been one of our best pitchers. He would no doubt start game one and then you would have to face Gonzalez before Verlander ever got the ball. Gonzalez would be a huge advantage for us against your third best pitcher. So I would think we escape Detroit with a tie at worst. But that is a long way off. First these damn Yankees. If the Yankees win today, Sabathia is on the shelf, leaving you a huge advantage on the mound. Fizer is far better than anyone they can put up in game one. And its just as well Verlander be saved for NY> If we go down, and I hope to God we dont, I cheer for the Tigers as you know. I am surely hoping Hammel brings his best. I would think he would be even sharper today as he was returning from a long injury the first time he pitched. Our bullpen is better. I can only pray our hitters find their way back before its too late. Weiters, Jones, Reynolds (the Yankee killer) all need to find their bats. Reynolds hit 7 honers vs these Yankees in 3 games. If he can hit one it might be enough. The Tigers are in good shape tomorrow with a days rest and the likes of Fizer. Game two, it all depends. If its my O's you are in for a hell of a fight vs Gonzalez. This kid is going to be a real good one. He had the Yankees beat. Buck should have left him in. He could have pitched 9. It was good to see them shut down ibanez last night. When any game goes that deep in extra innings, the Orioles must feel invincible.

Whoever thought we would be sad to see A Rod benched. Well, he is. And its the talk of NY. I was happy to see him come to the plate with two runners on in extra innings and only one out. I was very confident that ODay would KO him, and he did. 7 st KO's was all Girardi needed to sit him. We know its the right move. But think of how much money this guy makes?

Ah, Schadenfreude is a wonderful thing.

And no player in recent memory do fans love to hate more than Alex Rodriguez...A-Rod, A-Roid, A-Choke, and countless other sobriquets and epithets. Sure, there was Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, but those players at least played half their careers before becoming villians. In football, people rooted for Ryan Leaf and Brian Bosworth to fail...and they did, barely lasting long enough in the NFL for fans to work up a good hate. They were gone and forgotten within a few years of their being drafted.

Alex Rodriguez, on the other hand, has been an object of the fans(and other players) scorn and derision almost from the beginning. When he fails, it's like the sky is a little bluer, your step is a little lighter, food tastes better and the stock market is up. He's a national panacea.

So, how ironic would it be if his failure is the spark that leads the Yankees to victory over the Orioles? I can't be the only one cheering for Baltimore that wishes Yankee manager didn't have the guts to sit A-Rod down and pinch-hit for him. If he hadn't, Raul Ibanez doesn't win the game for the Yankees and Baltimore is getting ready to host the Detroit Tigers for Game One of the ALCS.

But Joe "Hit the pine A-Rod" Girardi did have the minerals. Now, instead of a sure out in his spot in the lineup, the Orioles will have to contend with someone that can hit...that won't choke. Making this game 5 a little tougher without A Rod in there flailing away.

But I still have faith the Orioles can do it...slay the Yankee beast in Yankee Stadium!

Two of my picks have come thru(Detroit and San Francisco)...time for the other two. GO BALTIMORE! GO WASHINGTON!

On another note...isn't it refreshing to watch baseball in the day? Isn't it fun to sneak a peek at work or during school? Baseball is a summer game, a game for daylight. Not the chill of night with players in ski masks and icicles dripping from their nose.

I'm not the only one who feels this way...Bill Plaschke wrote this piece in today's L.A. Times:

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-72851559/

I told my wife when it was 0-2 to Jones, here comes a ball down in the dirt and he will swing and strike out. I would not let Jones bat again. If he gets another at bat. He is so out of touch right now its pretty sad. He looks like a bush leaguer. Pinch hit him if he even gets a shot. That ball knicked the foul pole. should be 2-1 but no balls by the umps.

Archived