People who don't spell "Zeppelin" correctly.

BlackDog71

Whether it's Zepplin, Zeplin, Zeppln, or any others I have ever seen. It bothers me more than it really should when their name gets spelled wrong. Heck, I've even seen Lead Zepplin. UGH! American Idol's web site spelled it "Led Zepplin." COME ON! :rolleyes:

My question is: Are there any little things about the group that people say, think, or do that bother you? Things people say or think that you as a fan hate? I have many but usually keep them to myself and share them here. :P

It can be anything really.

Edited by BlackDog71

• 3 weeks later...

The topic is ironic since the band doesn't spell "lead" properly anyway. So if someone drops a letter from zeppelin it seem okay too.

No, it doesn't because they spelled it "Led" on purpose so people wouldn't confuse it with "Lead".

No, it doesn't because they spelled it "Led" on purpose so people wouldn't confuse it with "Lead".

What he said!

Lead...the heavy stuff.

Lead...as in singer as in Robert Plant.

Led Zeppelin... definitely not a mistake.

Edited by MINI_Zoso

So you are saying they spelled it that way too so that people wouldn't screw it up?

Def Leppard spelled it that way to emulate the spelling and look of "Led Zeppelin". If you want to have their names changed to "Lead Zeppelin" and "Deaf Leopard", well, good luck with that...

Led Zeppelin looks much cooler than Lead Zeppelin.

Def Leppard looks cooler than Deaf Leopard too.

Looks had nothing to do with it, purely phonetics.

As for Def Leppard, nothing original there.

Aerosmith ---- Arrowsmith

Lynyrd Synyrd ---- Leonard Skinner...

who I believe was their High School Gym teacher...

Edited by Reggie29

I would bet it had something to do with it...

Jimmy Page didn't play his guitar down around his ankles because it was comfortable.. it looked cool.

Of course it was also so us Americans wouldn't mis-pronounce it as Leed... that's a given.

• 4 weeks later...

You all seem to have strayed from the original topic,where I come from people say know what I mean like, fortunately I am not one of them, but it is annoying when people spell it wrong especially when advertising goods, Christ all they have to do is look it up first. Anyway stop slagging each other off.

Edited by joe (Liverpool)

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't that how some people referred to them in their early days, much like "the Pink Floyd"?

You can blame the English Invasion and lazy reporting for that. When the Invasion hit, it seemed as if all the bands began with "The": The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Animals, The Yardbirds, The Hollies. Even later bands used "the"...The Byrds, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Cream, The Velvet Underground, The Band.

So the media at the time...particularly the UK media...got in the habit of assuming every pop group was "The _____". Hence, THE Pink Floyd, THE Led Zeppelin, and so forth. It stopped being a problem around the early-70s, as more media outlets replaced the "squares" with more in-tune journalists for their pop music coverage.

^ I've never seen them refer to themselves as 'The Cream', but I really don't care because I don't like them.

You're right...I slipped up on that one. Substitute The Moody Blues for Cream, then. :)

Peaches Records And Tapes

729664431_1281835243.jpg

I remember well when the warehouse record store Peaches Records And Tapes opened in Dallas around 1975.

When Zeppelin's double-lp Physical Graffiti came out, Peaches advertised this on an outdoor marquee, but the morons who put the letters up, misspelled Zeppelin as "Zepplin". (Not shown in this picture).

You would think a large chain store that had as it's main business as records and tapes, could get the spelling right, on one of the world's largest bands at the time.

Edited by The Rover