Starship 1975

sam_webmaster

This picture is dated 11/5/74. It's not the one I was looking for, but it must have been taken the same day and it's dark from what it looks like. I wonder if the other pictures are the same time.

zep_74a.jpg

This picture is dated 11/5/74. It's not the one I was looking for, but it must have been taken the same day and it's dark from what it looks like. I wonder if the other pictures are the same time.

zep_74a.jpg

...I think you mean this photo...

jimmypagebluescarfPlane.jpg

...Elvis Tour Ribbons used were available from 1971-76 various designs/colors...

http://www.elvisnow....egas_passes.htm

...one in these pictures is from 1974, as they see him concert at The Forum...

No pics have surfaced from the actual gig in Minneapolis 1-18-75 but I have all 4 volumes of Neal Prestons books. There was two pics of them on stage saying it was Minneapolis but turned out to be from the second show in Chicago 1-21-75 and that matches up with the video footage.

But this pic is labeled Minneapolis 1-18-75 and Jimmy is wearing different clothes than the Chicago shows. He is wearing the cowboy stripped shirt and the pants from TSRTS 1973 MSG,NY footage. He wore the cowboy stripped shirt at alot of shows on the 1975 tour though. The 3rd show in Chicago he wore the same shirt but with white pants. So who knows if this pic is labeled right because I have seen that alot of pics by photographers claim to be one date and are others.

This pic is cropped at the bottom -as in my version you can see that Robert is wearing blue jeans and the snakeskin boots and Jimmy is wearing the pants from TSRTS 1973 movie. Robert is wearing the Red lollipop blouse that he wore alot on the 1975 tour.

lz19770603_01.jpg

... SAJ & DavidZoso, according to the article, Minnieapolis Star, Jan. 18/75 Timeline ...writer/Reporter John Beam says that Zeppelin were in town rehearsing for "few days"....

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/january-18-1975

Richard Cole writes "after the European Gigs, we returned to to England for three days before flying to the States" ...Page 247 STH;

"When we finally arrived at JFK airport...Pilot...pointed out the window to the Starship..the Band proceeded...the next hour and half until we took off."

...Richard Cole does not way where they took off to from New York/Starship....

However, Jimmy Page has this photo in his Official Autobio as from London/Heathrow...

Heathrow Airport, London, UK, On The Way to the USA, arrival January 16

"Leaving for America from Heathrow. On arrival we went straight to Minneapolis for a lengthy and spirited sound-check at the Met Centre...

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/planetPage_bucket/zeppelinMNarrive75.jpg]http://zeppelinMNarrive75.jpg

.....that leaves the arrival for Chicago on the Jan 16th'75 in question...straight from NY to Chicago?...there is a Chicago Jersey Fan on Board...

...perhaps they are travelling to Met Centre...?

tks for the details SAJ and DAVIDZoso

Thanks to all for the contributions to this thread thus far as you've given me quite a few leads to look into and follow-up on.

With regard to their arrival in the US I show on Jan 15th they departed Heathrow (substantiated by Page) on a British Airways flight (substantiated by Cole) and upon arrival at JFK Airport in NY were trans-loaded onto the recently repainted Starship (substantiated by Cole). The Starship flight landed at O' Hare Intl in Chicago with JPJ the only band member to disembark wearing a coat (all this substantiated by a writer for Circus magazine covering the tour at the time).

However, I suppose it's plausible they did fly from JFK to Minneapolis for the first of two days rehearsal (as alleged by Bream) and THEN on to Chicago for an extended stay at the Ambassador East Hotel while the tour unfolded. Given it's likely crew/tour staff were already in Chicago in advance of their U.S. arrival that would account for the presence of the Chicago jersey at any time, to include from JFK to Minneapolis (if in fact they did).

I'm still inclined to believe these Starship photos were most likely taken within days of their US arrival.

Thanks to all for the contributions to this thread thus far as you've given me quite a few leads to look into and follow-up on.

With regard to their arrival in the US I show on Jan 15th they departed Heathrow (substantiated by Page) on a British Airways flight (substantiated by Cole) and upon arrival at JFK Airport in NY were trans-loaded onto the recently repainted Starship (substantiated by Cole). The Starship flight landed at O' Hare Intl in Chicago with JPJ the only band member to disembark wearing a coat (all this substantiated by a writer for Circus magazine covering the tour at the time).

However, I suppose it's plausible they did fly from JFK to Minneapolis for the first of two days rehearsal (as alleged by Bream) and THEN on to Chicago for an extended stay at the Ambassador East Hotel while the tour unfolded. Given it's likely crew/tour staff were already in Chicago in advance of their U.S. arrival that would account for the presence of the Chicago jersey at any time, to include from JFK to Minneapolis (if in fact they did).

I'm still inclined to believe these Starship photos were most likely taken within days of their US arrival.

tks. SAJ, I also think that these Starship photos are indeed within just few days of arrival in US...it is highly likely, as Page states in his official autobio, they do go to the Met Centre straight from New York, and it doesn't look like the photos are exactly from that first night..but the photos appear to be from the next couple days of souncheck/rehearsals back and forth from Chicago to Met Centre until the final show of 18th Jan'75...

and AEN, possible Neil Preston took these photos....many famous celebrities are on this Starship, including Danny Goldberg...I don't know the other journalists, Circus Magazine?...Cameron Crowe was also present...in some other photos previously released of course...

I wonder if Stephen Davis of LZ'75 was also present, I don't have this book at the moment...

what I wonder is why there were no Press Photographers present that night of the concert, just reviews (I looked into this, there are no Press photos thus far, but slight possibility of fan concert photos here, but nothing definite yet, (far from it at the moment)...

it is afterall 1975, very modern time; and I do wonder why Neil Preston did not photograph Led Zeppelin this Opening Nite/First Stage..or did he? looking at the reviews, perhaps they were tired and not comfortable being photographed....

what I wonder is why there were no Press Photographers present that night of the concert, just reviews (I looked into this, there are no Press photos thus far, but slight possibility of fan concert photos here, but nothing definite yet, (far from it at the moment)...

Off the top of my head Minneapolis was a small market served by just one major newspaper. They probably had a limited pool of photogs to send on assignment and there may have been bigger events they were focused on covering, in particular the Minnesota Vikings playing in the Super Bowl (down in Louisiana) and The Great Storm of 1975:

http://en.wikipedia....t_Storm_of_1975

All of the following photos were taken on the Starship in Houston, Texas at William P Hobby airport on February 27, 1975. That is the date Led Zeppelin opened the second leg of their US 1975 tour in Houston at the Coliseum.

The Starship parked outside.

36747470.jpg

46581545.jpg

66328861.jpg

Bed at the back of plane

20606065.jpg

Bed at the back of plane

33584721.jpg

Fireplace

19292108.jpg

The Bar

30168106.jpg

The Bar

58721136.jpg

The Stewardesses

94153426.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

...SAJ, Jimmy has indeed provided Chicago Airport Landing Stamp dated Jan. 16, 1975, Page 272 in his Official Autobiography...It can be scanned later, all of the related stamps section..

You are correct as always...sorry for my confusion

...if any photos of the Min'75 concert turns up here in Winnipeg, I will inform.....there remains a possbiilty, but it is up to the attendee to make his photos public at this point, if he chooses to do so...only limited details have been provided by his associate to me and not efficient response...very slow process...

• 7 months later...

WOW Sam! those are stunning shots. Its nice to see the unseen! thank you for posting them.

would love to see the same type of shots but on the 1977 Tour.

they seem pretty sedate for being on the 1975 tour!

i also would love to see the same thing during the 77 tour,has anything surfaced yet?

WOW Sam! those are stunning shots. Its nice to see the unseen! thank you for posting them.

would love to see the same type of shots but on the 1977 Tour.

they seem pretty sedate for being on the 1975 tour!

Terrific photos. I've read about the Starship and it's luxuriousness, but a picture is worth a thousand words as they say. I wonder if someone laying in the bed had to get up and strap into an upright seat upon take-off and landing?

• 1 month later...

Terrific photos. I've read about the Starship and it's luxuriousness, but a picture is worth a thousand words as they say. I wonder if someone laying in the bed had to get up and strap into an upright seat upon take-off and landing?

Flying was much more relaxed then, literally and figuratively.

All of the following photos were taken on the Starship in Houston, Texas at William P Hobby airport on February 27, 1975. That is the date Led Zeppelin opened the second leg of their US 1975 tour in Houston at the Coliseum.

The Starship parked outside.

36747470.jpg

46581545.jpg

66328861.jpg

Bed at the back of plane

20606065.jpg

Bed at the back of plane

33584721.jpg

Fireplace

19292108.jpg

The Bar

30168106.jpg

The Bar

58721136.jpg

The Stewardesses

94153426.jpg

Those look like video stills. I'd like to see the video!

Great photos. It's interesting to see the band in a relaxed setting. It's also fun to play "identify the Zep entourage member" game. Peter Grant, Richard Cole and Magnet make several appearances. I also thought I spotted Danny Goldberg in a couple of shots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Led Zeppelin Live at Met Centre Jan. 18, 1975...Minnesota Daily...Thus far...

http://www.mndaily.com/archives/pdfs

January 24th, 1975 Archive of Minnesota Daily - has the only surfaced photo of Led Zeppelin Live First Date '75 Tour January 18th

Jimmy Page in Moons/Stars Trousers and Western Strip Shirt makes first appearance;

July 13, 1973 Minnesota Daily has the 1973 Tour Photo(s) with LZ Review (Pages 9, 10, and 12); (Livin' Loving Maid...reference set List is once again included, as it was of interest to fans in the '71 tour...

May 18th, 1969 Min. Daily has the advertisement for LZ Concert(Page 23)

April 3, 1970 Min. Daily has ad for LZ Concert (Page 40)

...until the Original Quality is located, this is the only source...

There are no references readily available (perhaps damaged) to the '77 Tour dates, Apr. 12, 13 that I could locate...

...sorry for any inconvenience...

• 1 year later...

CAN SOMEONE tell me WHO is that woman sitting next to that guy in the 8th photo from the top PLEASE!

The photo just after the one of Mr.Cole.

(not urgent ,however i DO need to know,thnx again) ANYONE?

thank you

CAN SOMEONE tell me WHO is that woman sitting next to that guy in the 8th photo from the top PLEASE!

The photo just after the one of Mr.Cole.

(not urgent ,however i DO need to know,thnx again) ANYONE?

thank you

Is it Marsa Hightower? She's on Facebook if you'd like to ask her.

Archived