BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Sounds like some great cuisine CP!  You're quite the gourmet chef!  Perhaps, you'll be the next Food Network Star?  I'm very much a foodie as well.  I'm a decent cook, but not great, but what I do cook always comes out good!  I really enjoy my cuisine and take advantage of it when I go away and seek out haute cuisine eateries! Just my liking!

Thanks Dave. I am in the "eat to live" category. I love to cook and I do it all the time. It's very difficult for us to eat out as we live in the country so I cook from scratch every day and love it. This weekend's delights could not have got any better. The chicken and peanut sauce starter was incredible, followed by the Rendang, which was historic. When our friends arrived and we had a few drinks and a smoke, I completely forgot the cucumber salad to go with the curry !!

If anyone has access to the ingredients for the Rendang I urge all of you to try it. Best made the day before so the flavours really develop. It can be made as hot with chillies to suit your taste. It is quite possibly the finest tucker to come out of Asia I have ever done.

Beef tenderloin, latkes with applesauce, creamed spinach, and garlic bread.  Champagne-bourbon cocktail.  For dessert, white chocolate bread pudding.  Tonight was our family Christmas dinner, a tradition we started 15+ years ago when my oldest brought home a recipe for latkes from elementary school.  Each person in the family makes one of the food items, and we make it a semi-formal affair.  It has been great fun, not to mention the food is faaaaabulous!  ;) 

image.thumb.jpeg.b079313b54c26dc87f3afc3

image.thumb.jpeg.de7c912089cb00215a4e428

Beef tenderloin, latkes with applesauce, creamed spinach, and garlic bread.  Champagne-bourbon cocktail.  For dessert, white chocolate bread pudding.  Tonight was our family Christmas dinner, a tradition we started 15+ years ago when my oldest brought home a recipe for latkes from elementary school.  Each person in the family makes one of the food items, and we make it a semi-formal affair.  It has been great fun, not to mention the food is faaaaabulous!  ;) 

What are Latkes DD? 

As it is a Spring day outside, I am having a smoked mackerel  salad for lunch. 

What are Latkes DD? 

As it is a Spring day outside, I am having a smoked mackerel  salad for lunch. 

Latkes are made from grated potato, onion and eggs.  The recipe we have (which we have altered slightly) is a complement to the book The Miracle of the Potato Latkes - A Hanukkah Story.  

image.thumb.jpeg.ee97ea9fc625604bd711654

Latkes are made from grated potato, onion and eggs.  The recipe we have (which we have altered slightly) is a complement to the book The Miracle of the Potato Latkes - A Hanukkah Story.  

image.thumb.jpeg.ee97ea9fc625604bd711654

Ah I see Potato cakes. eeemmm tasty.

Thai Red Curry Chicken this evening with Rice. Chicken in a rich coconut and spicy Thai sauce with baby sweetcorn and sugar snap peas:veryhot:

'Whisky tasting is an event in itself and must be enjoyed in moderation, in order to truly appreciate the various intriguing flavours and intricate 'notes', bundled into this intriguing concoction. The seemingly thrilling aspect of 'getting drunk', is nothing but a norm, under intense societal pressure and must be the last thing on any serious whisky lover's mind, if the immediate goal, is the sampling of good whisky, the way it's meant to be'. - The Old Wise Man of the Distillery 

Sounds like a delicious Christmas dinner...with a little Chanukah flavour added. I love latkes! Sometimes wish I was Jewish...not for the jokes, but for the food.

Bonus points Dd for having your Christmas dinner early. Now you can relax on Christmas and not have to worry about cooking and cleaning up the dishes.

Bonus points Dd for having your Christmas dinner early. Now you can relax on Christmas and not have to worry about cooking and cleaning up the dishes.

Thanks, Strider! This dinner sort of kicks off our holiday cooking.  There will be another round on Christmas Eve with in-laws and another round on Christmas Day with my side of the family. No worries, it's the most wonderful time of the year, no better way to celebrate than with lots of cooking! :) 

Yummy chocolate-peanut butter Christmas treats from a dear friend. Thanks E! 

20151219_120305.thumb.jpg.f41b32ee63e68b

Looks very yummy!  You cannot go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter!!  :thumbsup: 

That looks like some exquisite crockery and cutlery! Very festive, Ddladner! :)  

Just made some hot Sausage Rolls and having a cup of Assam Tea

Christmas Eve dinner:

Home made Gazpacho Soup with croutons

Pan fried Halibut steak with a creamy Tarragon sauce. Crisp Mini Roast Potatoes, Heritage Carrots. A bottle of Pouilly Fume 2012.

Champagne truffles.

May I wish all contributors to our foodie page, a wonderful gastronomic festive season:D

Home made Gazpacho Soup with croutons

Hi CP! Would love your recipe for gazpacho soup if you don't mind sharing!  I've looked up several online but they just don't seem like how I remember eating this overseas.  I have a feeling yours is spot on!

Merry Christmas to you!

:toast: 

Hmmm...the foodies around here, seem unusually quiet this time of year, so since I set the ball rolling as far as New Year treats are concerned, I might as well, continue! :P 

A Slice of Lemon Tea Cake, with a Layer of Vanilla Custard, this New Year's Day

98fba45d-ce20-436d-9cb6-65e5fd437e05_zps

The desserts that I enjoyed this New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, are courtesy of a beautiful (but severely underrated) little bakery, that is located pretty close to my neighbourhood. It is one of those places that you can miss, in the blink of an eye, as it's located in the middle of a busy traffic intersection. This hidden gem, sells desserts like apple pie, apple crumble, lemon tea cake, blueberry cheese cake, red velvet cake, mud pie, chocolate truffle, strawberry short cake, pineapple upside down cake and so much more!

One of my favourite sweet treats to eat on New Year's Eve:

A Slice of Apple Pie Drenched in Vanilla Custard

d88f211d-9bc3-4469-b7fb-f5fc665c1053_zps

Hmmm...the foodies around here, seem unusually quiet this time of year, so since I set the ball rolling as far as New Year treats are concerned, I might as well, continue! :P 

A Slice of Lemon Tea Cake, with a Layer of Vanilla Custard, this New Year's Day

98fba45d-ce20-436d-9cb6-65e5fd437e05_zps

The desserts that I enjoyed this New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, are courtesy of a beautiful (but severely underrated) little bakery, that is located pretty close to my neighbourhood. It is one of those places that you can miss, in the blink of an eye, as it's located in the middle of a busy traffic intersection. This hidden gem, sells desserts like apple pie, apple crumble, lemon tea cake, blueberry cheese cake, red velvet cake, mud pie, chocolate truffle, strawberry short cake, pineapple upside down cake and so much more!

Your New Year's desserts look heavenly, Kiwi!  I've seen desserts served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of cream, but not vanilla custard.  However, I am a big fan of vanilla custard and think it's a great idea!! I do love a dessert called cottage pudding that is served with a vanilla custard, and now I will consider that topping for other desserts as well! :)  We have so many desserts at Thanksgiving and Christmas that I am trying to lay low on the desserts for New Year's.  With that said, I have been enjoying some tasty treats from a super generous forum member, and I will be eating birthday cake today for my niece's birthday!  Guess I'll have to start slowing down tomorrow! ;) 

Happy New Year to you, Kiwi!

:toast: