BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

We had a wonderful Thai Lunch for Mrs CP's birthday. We had a selection of plates as follows

Tom Yam Soup King Prawn

Tempura Tiger Prawns with a Hot Chilli Dip

Pork Satay with a sweet Chilli dip

Chicken Satay with a Peanut Sauce

Penang Curry with Jasmine Rice

Pad Krapow Chicken with Jasmine Rice

Lime and Soda for drinks

£30 for everything and it was delish. 

Edited by chillumpuffer

• 3 weeks later...

Indian for us this evening. Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala. The recipe for this is from The Curry Bible by Dan Toombs. It takes a long time to make, Spice Mixes, Curry Base Sauce, Marinating Chicken and then grilling it. Roti for the bread. It has taken me the best part of 2 days, but it will be eaten in 15 minutes. Something like this:

Chicken Tikka Masala - Restaurant Style Tikka Masala - THE CURRY GUY (greatcurryrecipes.net)

3 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

I recognise Bacon and maybe an omelette at the front? What is the yellow stuff with a knobette of butter? Creamed Corn or the elusive Grits? Plastic cutlery? Oh dear :(

What about that plate? Don't warm that thing up!! 

33 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

I recognise Bacon and maybe an omelette at the front? What is the yellow stuff with a knobette of butter? Creamed Corn or the elusive Grits? Plastic cutlery? Oh dear :(

Cheese grits is the yellow stuff. As for the plastic forks, it is what it is--sometimes I need a break from the Waffle House...  :D

13 hours ago, Strider said:

No. Not the Bitter. This...

1f51adbd43bace94aecfe7bf97e750c7.thumb.jpg.311eb28a22f0bdb2aaddbf01a308c9ef.jpg

Sorry Sean, I meant you are drinking Boddies Ice Cold. It's not served cold here. As a bit of history, when I went to a lot of gigs in the 70's at Manchester's Free Trade Hall, there was a pub next door to the venue called Cox's Bar. It was a real Manchester pub not a bar in the literal sense. Boddies was the house beer and lovely it was too. I don't drink beer now but there were many a times we would have a few before shows at the most iconic of venues.

On 10/13/2022 at 11:47 PM, chillumpuffer said:

Sorry Sean, I meant you are drinking Boddies Ice Cold. It's not served cold here. As a bit of history, when I went to a lot of gigs in the 70's at Manchester's Free Trade Hall, there was a pub next door to the venue called Cox's Bar. It was a real Manchester pub not a bar in the literal sense. Boddies was the house beer and lovely it was too. I don't drink beer now but there were many a times we would have a few before shows at the most iconic of venues.

Oh, I know all about you Brits and your taste for warm beer. I was in a pub in Bath and saw an old codger send his beer back to have the barkeep stick a hot iron in it to warm it up.

When I say "ice cold" I don't literally mean 32° F. But I'm American...I like a little chill to my beer. Especially when it's hot outside. When it is 80° F. or more, the last thing I want is room temperature beer. In general, I drink my beers at 45° - 50° F. A few types of lagers and pilsners I might chill down to 42° or even 40° F. The only beers I will drink warmer than 50° F. are stouts and dunkels. Don't forget that once you pour the beer into the glass, the beer gradually gets warmer.

Now, about the concept of room temperature beer. With modern living conditions having improved over the centuries, the definition of "room temperature" has also changed. Normal room temperatures today are around 70°-72° F. That is at least 10° higher than what it was a century or two ago, when drafty old houses were the norm.

So yes, when "room temperature" meant 50° or 60°, a room temperature beer was drinkable. But I balk at anyone finding a beer at 70° refreshing. You certainly would never drink a wine at that temperature.

• 2 weeks later...