Lance Armstrong Stripped of Wins

Charles J. White

I never wish bad times on anyone and Lance could always redeem himself (America loves a redemption tale) by being truthful but ...I don't think he has it in him.

The doping is one thing but how he treated others - especially Greg LeMond who is/was a model athlete with class, grace, and integrity- was just as terrible.

I'll admit I'm a bit biased about LeMond because I followed the TdF around France in 1989 when he beat "Le Prof" by 8 seconds. He was a sweetheart- very humble and genuinely thrilled Americans were there to cheer him on - asking where we were from, why were in France, how long we'd be following cycling, etc. He had so much love and respect for the race and its history that he and his wife learned to speak French.

In any case, I thought this brief Zeppelin reference in this article about Floyd Landis was interesting. I can't help but wonder which lyrics...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/sports/how-armstrongs-wall-fell-one-rider-at-a-time.html?ref=cycling

Is anyone really surprised by this Lance Armstrong thing. I mean this doping stuff has been going on for so long now. I always think about the people who played it clean and either lost, or, never made it to "the show" because some doper beat them out...Those athletes are the real victims along with the kids and adults who have had their hearts broken when their "inspirational idols" have done wrong with this shite. I felt it when Ben Johnson was stripped of his Gold medal in the 90something Olympics.....since then I try not to get emotionally connected. Just saying......but the real question is "Does anyone remember laughter?"

Is anyone really surprised by this Lance Armstrong thing. I mean this doping stuff has been going on for so long now. I always think about the people who played it clean and either lost, or, never made it to "the show" because some doper beat them out...Those athletes are the real victims along with the kids and adults who have had their hearts broken when their "inspirational idols" have done wrong with this shite. I felt it when Ben Johnson was stripped of his Gold medal in the 90something Olympics.....since then I try not to get emotionally connected. Just saying......but the real question is "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"And it makes me wonder". How many used, and did not use and who are they? its a mess. And poor Pete Rose cant get in because of gambling? You know less than a year after Pete dies he will be in. He is just being punished while he is alive.

"And it makes me wonder". How many used, and did not use and who are they? its a mess. And poor Pete Rose cant get in because of gambling? You know less than a year after Pete dies he will be in. He is just being punished while he is alive.

I think Pete has paid and should be in but it still bugs me when I watch that replay of him going into that catcher in the All-Star game......I know he was Charlie Hustle, but phuck, it was an All Star game and i think that guys career was over after that.....just saying

What I have trouble understanding, is the TDF says that there will be no winner listed for those years...why not? Why not the person who came in second?

Because the runners-up were doping, too. Total dysfunction at every level of the system.

I wonder what she knows?

There has been some press about the involvement on the wives' part - particularly Kristin Armstrong. In her own words, she says that people would be disappointed if they knew everything. It's one big mess. (And, he dumped Kristin cold, too.)

The pitiful truth here is like him or hate him, Lance Armstrong just like Pete Rose, Mark McGuire, and Sammy Sosa were persecuted not for doping or gambling, but for pissing off someone powerful within the industry. It is like this with anything, in any profession. No one cares as long as the people doing it are also in the pocket of the owners or controllers, they only "care" when the person goes rogue, usually due to inflated ego syndrome (not a real syndrome, made it up) and pisses off the big boys. When that happens, all of a sudden all hell breaks loose and they throw these clowns to the wolves and make themselves look like they have integrity in the process, the whole while they are simply cleaning house and removing those who will not tow the party line. The fact is in the athletic community doping is encouraged and always has been since it was discovered an advantage could be had over other athletes through doping. However there has always been the caveat, you get caught, you are on your own and we will disown you. Kinda like when spies get busted on foreign soil and the spies country says, "...uh him, nope, don't know him, was not acting on our orders. We suggest you kill him."

BS,thanks SR!

Has anyone ever said how kind and generous a soul you are? You are probably the first person to help old ladies across the street and donate your time to homeless shelters and cancer wards. Your mother must have your picture placed in a shrine, surrounded by candles and incense as you are truly a saint. Thank you so much Anjin for pointing out the error of my obviously misguided comment, I have been brought to my senses with your kind remark and am ashamed a slug like me was created along perfection the likes of you. Excuse me while I pray to God and thank him for your generosity and wisdom which shows us troglodites the true measure of a real man.

Not sure I agree, SR, but I'm glad the truth finally saw the light of day. They've been after Armstrong for a loong time. I'm just surprised they could keep so many peolpe's mouths shut. You always hear that about incredulous scenarios/conspiracy theories - "Not possible. Too many mouths to keep quiet. It'll leak." I guess the moral is that it just takes longer to leak. It's just shoking so many people would put up with it for so long. What did they think would happen if they were discovered? How can the risk of losing everything you've worked your whole career for be worth it?? Just amazing.

Slightly OT, but speaking of using, anyone notice Wade's or LeBron's jaws lately? These players are huge cash cows so I'd be surprised if the NBA does anything too strict too soon, although there's been talk of implementing random HGH testing.

No, I'm not suprised but one would have thought that the athletic and competition commitees that be, would have had a handle on this shit...ages ago. It's been 24 yrs since Ben Johnson was stripped yet, we as fans of sport, are still being subjected to athletes who are constantly being found guilty of using performance enhancement methods to manipulate results. It's bad enough that athletes at their peak are using them but what upsets me more than anything is that it seems there is a culture out there that is encouraging young, up and coming athletes to do the same. I guess money talks and cheating is accepted until you're caught. What a wonderful example :thumbdown:

Part of the trouble too, though, is that the science in doping is advancing so quickly that governing bodies are almost always playing catch up. Armstrong never failed a drug test. Think about that. So if it weren't for the code of secrecy around him crumbling, he'd still be GOAT cycling hero. I'm glad he got caught. It's a long fall.

Archived