Coverdale /Page cut short

weslgarlic

The seven Japanese dates in Dec '93 only came about after their North American tour was postponed twice. By the time they occured Jimmy had already known for three months he and Robert were going to begin collaborating in the Spring of '94.

Burrn! magazine ran a interview before the shows, I think the question was "iwiil you be working together in ten years?"

David,,," yes"

Jimmy...laughing "no I will be 59 and retired" or words to that effect....

Because you say you don't think he would be proud of the Coverdale Page album! (which is the most Zep - like thing he has done since 1980, and some would say even since Presence) so, anyone saying that would make me wonder if they thought he woud be proud of anything else. Mybe what you mean, is you don't think he SHOULD be proud of it ? which is a different thing completely.

i think there are at least as many good songs on CP as on anything he has done since Presence , and songs which are also in the style closest to his heart.

Hi Five- I think it is some of his best guitar playing and if he wasn't proud of it :huh: -why would he let it be released to the public.

Also in the Osaka, Japan video(there are 2-I only have one of them) -Jimmy is truly enjoying hisself playing that material live.

:rolleyes: Why don't you?

because I don't have a connection to Jimmy page, real or imagined, plus I'm not the one speculating against all the evidence that he is not proud of C/P, so i suppose I will just have to do the next best thing and call on the ultimate Zep expert:

TO STEVE A JONES

Hi Steve, do you know of any evidence to sugggest Mr Page is not proud of the C/P album? Thanks.

Hey listen, I have no beef with you - you ARE new-ish here right? We have no history, with you under a previous name?

So I'll just say again - I'm not "speculating", and I have no need to "prove" what I've said, I am stating MY opinion, which is based on my experience.

I'm afraid no amount of Zep experts can examine MY personal experience better than me.

Like I said earlier - we disagree, and my beliefs remain my beliefs.

Cheers. :beer:

Hey listen, I have no beef with you - you ARE new-ish here right? We have no history, with you under a previous name?

So I'll just say again - I'm not "speculating", and I have no need to "prove" what I've said, I am stating MY opinion, which is based on my experience.

I'm afraid no amount of Zep experts can examine MY personal experience better than me.

Like I said earlier - we disagree, and my beliefs remain my beliefs.

Cheers. :beer:

yes I am new-sh and no beef with anyone here but when someone makes comments on Jimmy Page's opinions or feelings in a way that is ocntrary to public domain comments made by the man himself about the album and relationship with Coverdale, it does tend to grab peoples attention because it suggests some kind of contact with the inner sanctum, which you may or may not have i really don't care, i am not interested in that just the reason why you would 'believe' that Jimmy is not proud of this project when it kicks the crap out of everytihng he has done since 1976 in my opinion, and by most accounts he appaers to have enjoyed it all being back 'in his element' againafter so many years. Like i said before, maybe you mean you don't think he should be proud of it, which would be fine, but your post comes across like you were passing comment on his own actual feelings about the album, which is kind of presumptuos or even arrogant if it isnt then backed up up in any way.

As far as i can see the only possible sign he was not happy with the CP project was he ditched his first and only really viable post Zep hard-rock creative partnership and instead went running back to Plant, a notoriously fickle and flighty dilettante, to play bizzarely rearranged Zep-lite (in a lineup that was not even the closest available approximation of the band who created that music in the first plpace) and then create a new album under heavily compromised circumstances, where his primal need to rock out appeared to have been kept on a very tight leash by i-think-i-know-who. whereas he could have been having it large all that time, creating new hard rock with another repsected vocalist who could even write songs too, by which i mean music and not just the words. Is all this what you had in mind, if so i agree it does seem to suggest he wasnt truly proud of the album, but it would be wrong to assume this because as we all know he seems to only really be able to get motivated when he is back in an approxmate version of his true love. So i think his heart was ruling his head here which is fair enough but, that doesnt mean he wasn't proud of the album.

and maybe also he was embarrased by coverdales' juvenile onstage potty mouth, but that has nothing to do with the album which is what we are talking about here, anyway if this is what you had in mind as indication that he wasnt proud of C/P then yes it appears to make sense

because I don't have a connection to Jimmy page, real or imagined, plus I'm not the one speculating against all the evidence that he is not proud of C/P, so i suppose I will just have to do the next best thing and call on the ultimate Zep expert:

TO STEVE A JONES

Hi Steve, do you know of any evidence to sugggest Mr Page is not proud of the C/P album? Thanks.

He rated the album and the collaboration quite hightly at the time, yet I must say it is peculiar how little he has discussed either since.

It was rumored there might be a twentieth anniversary reissue with bonus tracks but it never materialized. I can tell you for certain he and David remain friends.

Let me close by saying I am not the ultimate Zep expert. Once you label me, you negate me.

yes I am new-sh and no beef with anyone here but when someone makes comments on Jimmy Page's opinions or feelings in a way that is ocntrary to public domain comments

I enjoy your posts and look forward to many more. Public Domain by its very nature is unworthy of citation without foundation of original conent and access to that content.

Page is fond of his contributions to CP and he knows it ran its course. My take on it is that label and management did not have healthy boundaries and hollowed the collaboration out from within. Dead.

The musical relationship between Page and Coverdale was FANTASTIC. It was their first album, I often wonder and hope that perhaps a 2nd album will happen. One would think that as Page and Coverdale became more comfortable around one another that it would have continued to blossom into something very special.

"As far as i can see the only possible sign he was not happy with the CP project was he ditched his first and only really viable post Zep hard-rock creative partnership and instead went running back to Plant, a notoriously fickle and flighty dilettante, to play bizzarely rearranged Zep-lite (in a lineup that was not even the closest available approximation of the band who created that music in the first plpace) and then create a new album under heavily compromised circumstances, where his primal need to rock out appeared to have been kept on a very tight leash by i-think-i-know-who. whereas he could have been having it large all that time, creating new hard rock with another repsected vocalist who could even write songs too, by which i mean music and not just the words. Is all this what you had in mind, if so i agree it does seem to suggest he wasnt truly proud of the album, but it would be wrong to assume this because as we all know he seems to only really be able to get motivated when he is back in an approxmate version of his true love. So i think his heart was ruling his head here which is fair enough but, that doesnt mean he wasn't proud of the album."

I have to say the above rings true to me in some ways. I mean I was giddy with delight when I heard Jimmy was getting together with Plant and I'm beyond happy that I got to see them play live in 98 in Tampa. But ultimatly what material came out of that partnership beyond the live shows that was substantive musically? When was the last time you listened to No Quarter...Honestly I cant remember but its many years. How about Walking into Clarksdale? Same.

Looking back, at least creatively, I would rather have heard what Jimmy could have done with future C/P albums. The first one still holds up fine to my ears. Even after all these years.

This particular song, "River Song" was a demo which David Coverdale brought into the sessions for the Coverdale Page album, but the plan was to save to maybe save it for Coverdale/Page 2 album which of course never happened. So David finished it by himself without the input of Jimmy and released it on his own solo album in 2000. I often wonder what it would have sounded like had the 2 actually worked on it together for a follow up album:

This thread went south fast, haha.

The clue is in the part "I don't believe".

The only "link" to that is quite obviously MY belief, which comes from my experience.

Not everything in life comes with "written proof".

Excuse me for butting in Ms. Knebby, but you did imply that Page personally gave you the impression that he wasn't proud of the album because you chose not to back up your 'belief' with any kind of public evidence which may have lead you to that conclusion.

This is probably a stupid question and I'm sure everyone else knows the answer to it already, (forgive me I'm new here) but how exactly do you know Mr. Page? Are you a journalist or something? I only ask because this is the second thread in two days that your association with the band member has come up.

Excuse me for butting in Ms. Knebby, but you did imply that Page personally gave you the impression that he wasn't proud of the album

No I didn't. I said "I don't believe". Anything else, YOU read into it.

I don't know you, and I don't have to explain myself to you at all.

^Your part of the reason for that comment.... ;) There seems to be NO end, when someone disagrees........

I think you've said your half/"peace" more than enough times on this topic Knebby, unless you feel you have to answer every single person that goes against your "belief"?

Then I guess that's your business.

Archived