Wolfman's Zeppelin/London review.....

First off….I FUCKING LOVE LONDON….I always thought NYC was the best city in the world…WRONG….London blows NYC away….it’s beautiful, majestic, and clean plus the women, who I were told weren’t that great (bad teeth,etc.), were some of the most beautiful in the world…just blew me away how hot the “birds” were there (and in every flavor too)….even mediocre girls looked better because they all dress with style….the big look right now is short skirts, black tights, tight sweaters, and knee boots….YUM YUM……the style of the buildings is just incredible…movies do it no justice….you have to be there to realize just how great of a scene it really is… I stayed a nice place in Convent Garden (Strand Palace Hotel)..everyone is very friendly too...Example/ I was looking for the Hatton fight 3am there….wound up meeting a crew of very cool blokes who took me to a underground club to see it (and paid for all my drinks too)….BTW, they have the coolest thing there on certain street corners….PISSERS….that’s right, just walk up to urinal in front of everyone and relive yourself…the USA is too anal for this, eh?…the only thing I didn’t like about London was that the food wasn’t very good at a lot of joints…I had to spend a lot to get any sort of decent food…..I also saw the play “Swimming With Sharks” starring Christian Slater….good show that was updated to current events….now to the reason of this journey….LED ZEPPELIN….pulled a fanboy and went to Jimmy Page’s house on the day of the show….the Tower House it’s called….stands out in the neighborhood because it looks like a castle (with gargoyles on top too)….then it was off to the show….first off, I can’t describe the excitement going into this show…the last time I was this excited was when I went to the Superbowl to see my Eagles play…..meeting people from all over the world who were Zep freaks like me is truly a fantastic experience (lots of strangers hugging, etc.)….supposedly, people from 50 countries around the world were there…I met blokes from Iceland, New Zealand, Canada, USA, Brazil, Ireland, and France…..got in while the first band started and got about halfway up (had standing seats on the floor)…the opening acts were good (Paul Rogers, Bill Wyman, etc.) but they were just fillers to be honest…well, then it was almost time…ran to the john and when I came back, some girl was arguing with security how she was up front and they couldn’t stop her from going back (they were not letting people go past a certain point to stop over crowding near the stage)…they let her go and then looked at me and said “you need to calm her down”….I said “you are right” and scooted past them…now, thanks to this angry girl, I was standing EIGHT ROWS from the stage….on the right was the celeb section (Marilyn Manson, Brian May, David Gilmour, James Dio, Kate Moss,etc.)…could care less though……I was here for one reason only…then the lights dimmed and we could see Jimmy standing in the wing with sunglasses on…they showed that Tampa video on the new TSRTS DVD (where they broke the Beatles record)…. and THEN…..

MY LED ZEPPELIN REUNION REVIEW

Jason starts the infamous drum beats of Good Times, Bad Times and we are off…band looks and sounds great….they are tight……real tight…was kinda hard to hear Jimmy’s guitar for the first minute or so….crowd is going nuts…. adrenaline is pumping through me…some girl next to me gives me a hug…..that was it’s like….just a great pilgrimage for Led Heads…PERFECT opener for all the ups and downs the boys have been through the years and most recently with this reunion….next Ramble On…..one of their best songs lyrically…crowd sings with Plant….then before you could stop them, Zep decides to move it up a notch and goes into Black Dog…..the crowd erupts and you really can feel the energy now…Plant teases the crowd with the mic and we sing “Ohhhh…Ohhhh…..Ohhhhh” with him….I can’t stop laughing….is this really happening…..then the churning In My Time Of Dying….a song that has become one of my faves the last year or so….to see Jimmy play the slide up close is scary….fast and furious….I played air drums on the drugged out guy’s back in front of me (he passed out standing up…IDIOT)….next For Your Life…second song off the very underrated Presence album…very cool live….Jimmy’s solo is tight….then my all time fave Zep song….TRAMPLED UNDER FOOT….Wow….just blew me away…Jimmy basically punched me in the face here…one of the many highlights…Nobody’s Fault But Mine….good harmonica jamming by Plant here….good be wrong but it seemed they got lost for a second or two before Jimmy’s solo….Jason gets them right back on track….then No Quarter….and that’s what they gave us here….JPJ goes off and Page follows….best part is after the middle jam….where Plant goes “ the dogs of doom howl and moan” and Jimmy waves his arm to the Theremin…everybody up front did the wave action like in TSRTS….Jimmy smiled on that….he was having such a good time….then Since I’ve Been Loving You….king of all their blues songs….solo was going a little bit slower then I would have liked and then as though Page heard me, he goes off….raised the hairs on my arm….next DAZED and CONFUSED….as Plant says before this epic, one of the songs they had to play…and it didn’t disappoint…more like the album then the infamous 30 minute version….JPJ bass makes my insides hurt…so low and mean sounding…BTW…JPJ is a warrior..while Page and Plant were smiling…JPJ had a stone cold look on his face…reminded me off Michael Jordan…he was not going to be denied…….the ultimate professional….then Jimmy pulls out the bow and they put a green laser pyramid over him…very cool…then the jam…they go off…it’s 1969 again…song let me winded and before you could recover, the double neck comes out…it’s time for Stairway To Heaven.....hate to say it but this one let me down just a little…it’s well-known that Plant has been burned out on this song but he sounded great…the solo, which is my all-time fave, is way too short (50 seconds) and Jimmy doesn’t seem to have the emotion he has the other times I’ve seen him do this live…..no short intro before the solo either….not bad at all but not what I expected….here is one of the fave parts of the show…after STH, crowd cheers and gets quiet (in awe for hearing this one live I guess) and then Jimmy kicks my teeth in and they go into my second fave song by Zep…The Song Remains The Same….just breathless…Page is so damn fast here…then Misty Mountain Hop….another good song live….fun and lots of dancing by the crowd….then they end with Kashmir…….Page uses a Les Paul instead of a Danelectro…made the songs sound so epic…TWO ENCORES…Whole Lotta Love includes the Theremin solo and a jab at the Elvis jam from TSRTS (someone throws a beach ball on stage and Plant playfully kicks it into the crowd…I grabbed it and kept it)….they bow and leave…after a few minutes…they return and end with Rock and Roll (while a cool video of bootlegs, home movies, etc. of Zep in the 70’s plays in the background)…Jason ends the show with a Bonzo like solo…crossing his arms and all….his dad would be so proud (BTW, during the dress rehearsal, someone told me Jason put his kid on the kit just like his dad did at the Knebworth rehearsals and in TSRTS movie)….after they leave…we just stand there….in awe…a dream has come true for the very lucky ones there….I look around and there are 20,000 SMILES….people are crying and hugging…are heroes not only delivered…they blew us away……even the harshest critics had nothing to say….no, they didn’t go into long jams but they are older and wiser now (the scary part is that if they tour…they could be even better…the jams could be back)….knowing they needed to fit 16 songs into 2 hours….this is how it needed to be….they seemed to have a lot of fun but you could tell they were tired (more from stress then anything I’m guessing)…I didn’t want to leave……to quote someone on another thread…it was like leaving the best girl of your life (it’s been four days now and I’m still missing the show)….I’ve been to over 200 concerts in my life and this one was the best by far…even if they tour…which I hope they do….nothing will compare to this one…the night I saw LED ZEPPELIN….thanks boys…one of the greatest days of my life….Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

First off….I FUCKING LOVE LONDON….I always thought NYC was the best city in the world…WRONG….London blows NYC away….it’s beautiful, majestic, and clean plus the women, who I were told weren’t that great (bad teeth,etc.), were some of the most beautiful in the world…just blew me away how hot the “birds” were there (and in every flavor too)….even mediocre girls looked better because they all dress with style….the big look right now is short skirts, black tights, tight sweaters, and knee boots….YUM YUM……the style of the buildings is just incredible…movies do it no justice….you have to be there to realize just how great of a scene it really is… I stayed a nice place in Convent Garden (Strand Palace Hotel)..everyone is very friendly too...Example/ I was looking for the Hatton fight 3am there….wound up meeting a crew of very cool blokes who took me to a underground club to see it (and paid for all my drinks too)….BTW, they have the coolest thing there on certain street corners….PISSERS….that’s right, just walk up to urinal in front of everyone and relive yourself…the USA is too anal for this, eh?…the only thing I didn’t like about London was that the food wasn’t very good at a lot of joints…I had to spend a lot to get any sort of decent food…..I also saw the play “Swimming With Sharks” starring Christian Slater….good show that was updated to current events….now to the reason of this journey….LED ZEPPELIN….pulled a fanboy and went to Jimmy Page’s house on the day of the show….the Tower House it’s called….stands out in the neighborhood because it looks like a castle (with gargoyles on top too)….then it was off to the show….first off, I can’t describe the excitement going into this show…the last time I was this excited was when I went to the Superbowl to see my Eagles play…..meeting people from all over the world who were Zep freaks like me is truly a fantastic experience (lots of strangers hugging, etc.)….supposedly, people from 50 countries around the world were there…I met blokes from Iceland, New Zealand, Canada, USA, Brazil, Ireland, and France…..got in while the first band started and got about halfway up (had standing seats on the floor)…the opening acts were good (Paul Rogers, Bill Wyman, etc.) but they were just fillers to be honest…well, then it was almost time…ran to the john and when I came back, some girl was arguing with security how she was up front and they couldn’t stop her from going back (they were not letting people go past a certain point to stop over crowding near the stage)…they let her go and then looked at me and said “you need to calm her down”….I said “you are right” and scooted past them…now, thanks to this angry girl, I was standing EIGHT ROWS from the stage….on the right was the celeb section (Marilyn Manson, Brian May, David Gilmour, James Dio, Kate Moss,etc.)…could care less though……I was here for one reason only…then the lights dimmed and we could see Jimmy standing in the wing with sunglasses on…they showed that Tampa video on the new TSRTS DVD (where they broke the Beatles record)…. and THEN…..

Jason starts the infamous drum beats of Good Times, Bad Times and we are off…band looks and sounds great….they are tight……real tight…was kinda hard to hear Jimmy’s guitar for the first minute or so….crowd is going nuts…. adrenaline is pumping through me…some girl next to me gives me a hug…..that was it’s like….just a great pilgrimage for Led Heads…PERFECT opener for all the ups and downs the boys have been through the years and most recently with this reunion….next Ramble On…..one of their best songs lyrically…crowd sings with Plant….then before you could stop them, Zep decides to move it up a notch and goes into Black Dog…..the crowd erupts and you really can feel the energy now…Plant teases the crowd with the mic and we sing “Ohhhh…Ohhhh…..Ohhhhh” with him….I can’t stop laughing….is this really happening…..then the churning In My Time Of Dying….a song that has become one of my faves the last year or so….to see Jimmy play the slide up close is scary….fast and furious….I played air drums on the drugged out guy’s back in front of me (he passed out standing up…IDIOT)….next For Your Life…second song off the very underrated Presence album…very cool live….Jimmy’s solo is tight….then my all time fave Zep song….TRAMPLED UNDER FOOT….Wow….just blew me away…Jimmy basically punched me in the face here…one of the many highlights…Nobody’s Fault But Mine….good harmonica jamming by Plant here….good be wrong but it seemed they got lost for a second or two before Jimmy’s solo….Jason gets them right back on track….then No Quarter….and that’s what they gave us here….JPJ goes off and Page follows….best part is after the middle jam….where Plant goes “ the dogs of doom howl and moan” and Jimmy waves his arm to the Theremin…everybody up front did the wave action like in TSRTS….Jimmy smiled on that….he was having such a good time….then Since I’ve Been Loving You….king of all their blues songs….solo was going a little bit slower then I would have liked and then as though Page heard me, he goes off….raised the hairs on my arm….next DAZED and CONFUSED….as Plant says before this epic, one of the songs they had to play…and it didn’t disappoint…more like the album then the infamous 30 minute version….JPJ bass makes my insides hurt…so low and mean sounding…BTW…JPJ is a warrior..while Page and Plant were smiling…JPJ had a stone cold look on his face…reminded me off Michael Jordan…he was not going to be denied…….the ultimate professional….then Jimmy pulls out the bow and they put a green laser pyramid over him…very cool…then the jam…they go off…it’s 1969 again…song let me winded and before you could recover, the double neck comes out…it’s time for Stairway To Heaven.....hate to say it but this one let me down just a little…it’s well-known that Plant has been burned out on this song but he sounded great…the solo, which is my all-time fave, is way too short (50 seconds) and Jimmy doesn’t seem to have the emotion he has the other times I’ve seen him do this live…..no short intro before the solo either….not bad at all but not what I expected….here is one of the fave parts of the show…after STH, crowd cheers and gets quiet (in awe for hearing this one live I guess) and then Jimmy kicks my teeth in and they go into my second fave song by Zep…The Song Remains The Same….just breathless…Page is so damn fast here…then Misty Mountain Hop….another good song live….fun and lots of dancing by the crowd….then they end with Kashmir…….Page uses a Les Paul instead of a Danelectro…made the songs sound so epic…TWO ENCORES…Whole Lotta Love includes the Theremin solo and a jab at the Elvis jam from TSRTS (someone throws a beach ball on stage and Plant playfully kicks it into the crowd…I grabbed it and kept it)….they bow and leave…after a few minutes…they return and end with Rock and Roll (while a cool video of bootlegs, home movies, etc. of Zep in the 70’s plays in the background)…Jason ends the show with a Bonzo like solo…crossing his arms and all….his dad would be so proud (BTW, during the dress rehearsal, someone told me Jason put his kid on the kit just like his dad did at the Knebworth rehearsals and in TSRTS movie)….after they leave…we just stand there….in awe…a dream has come true for the very lucky ones there….I look around and there are 20,000 SMILES….people are crying and hugging…are heroes not only delivered…they blew us away……even the harshest critics had nothing to say….no, they didn’t go into long jams but they are older and wiser now (the scary part is that if they tour…they could be even better…the jams could be back)….knowing they needed to fit 16 songs into 2 hours….this is how it needed to be….they seemed to have a lot of fun but you could tell they were tired (more from stress then anything I’m guessing)…I didn’t want to leave……to quote someone on another thread…it was like leaving the best girl of your life (it’s been four days now and I’m still missing the show)….I’ve been to over 200 concerts in my life and this one was the best by far…even if they tour…which I hope they do….nothing will compare to this one…the night I saw LED ZEPPELIN….thanks boys…one of the greatest days of my life….Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

great great review wolfman....I lived in new york city also, and thought the same thing when I was in London,

anyways, did jimmy really use his theramin?

I posted a thread about this after the show but got no reply

great great review wolfman....I lived in new york city also, and thought the same thing when I was in London,

anyways, did jimmy really use his theramin?

I posted a thread about this after the show but got no reply

Oh yeah!!!

Hey Wolfman, this NJ guy says good for you! I was in the lottery and my wife was ready to drop everything and go with me if we won, but alas no such luck. In lieu of that, I love hearing these stories from the people who did go. I'm genuinely happy for all of the members of this board who attended, and thanks for sharing your stories with us!

:beer:

….on the right was the celeb section (Marilyn Manson, Brian May, David Gilmour, James Dio, Kate Moss,etc.)…could care less though……

That's kind of how I felt although thanks to my wife, we got seats in the midst of the 'celeb section.' Since she is about 7 months pregnant the O2 gave us an upgrade from the floor, which worked out perfect. We saw Marilyn Manson, Juliette Lewis, and I believe members from the band Led Zeppagain or something. Didn't notice anyone else but then again, the only stargazing that really interested us was directed toward the stage...and how brilliant it was!

Thanks for that review Wolfman(is that your real name?),

London is indeed a grand city (not as good as Edinburgh, but then I am biased being Scottish), however I don't wany to be hearing that it is not as good as New York seeing as I will be visiting it for the first time in March!

Any recommendations for a good pub/bar/club with a good jukebox with lots of Zeppelin on, or a good house band specialising in our kind of music?

Glad you enjoyed our wee country and the show, from what I've seen on video clips it was amazing, especially Plant's roaring on Kashmir (sent shivers down my spine). Very jealous at not getting a ticket, have to console myself with the two Page and Plant shows I went to way back in the 90's man, and the hope that they are playing Madison Square Garden,next March!

Cheers,

THE BIG MAN

I don't wany to be hearing that it is not as good as New York seeing as I will be visiting it for the first time in March!

Any recommendations for a good pub/bar/club with a good jukebox with lots of Zeppelin on, or a good house band specialising in our kind of music?

Don't worry, New York has plenty of its own charms. For instance, most bars, particularly down in the East and West Villages, will have a few Zep songs in the jukebox. I definitively recommend that area, for hanging out. Plenty of live music. Some cool places around Washington Square Park in particular. Have a great trip!

just blew me away how hot the “birds” were there (and in every flavor too)….even mediocre girls looked better because they all dress with style….YUM YUM

Errrrrrrrr Wolfie, are you sure you were in London? LOL. I must have been living in a different city since 1991...... British women (must have been tourists, ha ha), have "style," ummmmmmmm thinks hard and flicks through Yellow Pages to get Wolfie a good pychoanalyst and optometerist, heh heh heh heh. Damn my wicked side broke free of the chains again!!

Indi.

P.S. thanks for the cracking review!!!

Don't worry, New York has plenty of its own charms. For instance, most bars, particularly down in the East and West Villages, will have a few Zep songs in the jukebox. I definitively recommend that area, for hanging out. Plenty of live music. Some cool places around Washington Square Park in particular. Have a great trip!

Thanks a lot for that, the guide books don't give you that kind of info. Can't wait to go,

Archived