Why I'm an Unhip Music Listener

Charles J. White

I don't worry too much about whether or not the music I enjoy is or was hip or cool, although there are probably a few things I enjoy but I can't fathom why.

Mostly I'm just happy if I don't break a hip while I pretend to "... dance like no one else is in the room..." (and trust me, no one else IS).

Maybe this belongs in the What Made You Happy... thread.... hmmm

^ Agreed. I don't care if I don't fit in with the 'hip' group. I know what I like & I stick to it. Whether it be certain magazines or various artists. I have good memories of all genre's of music. Actually, I was raised on country. Used to sing with The Judd's, Shania & Reba. Hell, I could belt until my mom would tell me to be quiet. So I can't say I detest country, it's just not my forte...anymore.

As for Bruce Springsteen, I really don't get him. I like Simon & Garfunkel but not enough to go see them live or anything. Everybody is different & individuality is what's hip if you ask me. :)

I don't, either

Never have, never will

Rolling Stone magazine...I remember back in the day when they were in San Francisco and they reviewed Santana's first album and they ripped it to shreds while at the same time they ran a huge ad on another page advertising the album. Hypocrites. They rail against smoking but have no qualms about placing ads for tobacco and booze. Dipshit New Yorkers, what can you say? Do you own a gun Wenner?

I recently started to enjoy listening to folk, jazz, classical, and Motown music. I was sad at all I was missing out on, this doesn't make me "unhip" does it?

You know what, Tori, the whole concept of hip and unhip is unnecessary...and a pain in the ass, to boot. Just trust your instincts and like what you like. Please yourself...don't worry about listening to something to please someone else or to fit into some 'clique'.

Ya, but Barry delivered those lyrics. :P

Sigh....

Amen, sister!

You know what, Tori, the whole concept of hip and unhip is unnecessary...and a pain in the ass, to boot. Just trust your instincts and like what you like. Please yourself...don't worry about listening to something to please someone else or to fit into some 'clique'.

Thanks! :) I think the type of music is part of who you are, it's kind of part of your personality IMO.

I have a very good friend who is a HUGE fan of DMB. Never really got into their music but from what I have heard, it's pretty good.

:) They are our in state homeboys; they also do some pretty enthusiastic Zeppelin covers :) (Dave and Jimmy also share a birthday!)

Archived