2012/2013 NFL Playoffs

Anjin-san

I believe that was the game where Riggins mowed over Don Mcneal in the Miami secondary and took it to the house.

That was the first game I ever bet on and I lost my ass!

I go back to the 60's. Saw the entire game between the Jets and Colts. Upset of monumental proportions. It gave way to the merger of the NFL and AFL. If there had been Super Bowls in the early 60's my Bills would have played in two. And they would have been against Jim Brown's Cleveland Browns and Lombardi's mighty Packers. Early 60's Buffalo and San Diego were the best AFL teams. Bart Starr and Lombardi's Packers may have been invincible. But they did lose to the college All Stars in the last game that was played in that old event. for those of you that are too young, the super bowl champion used to play the college all stars in an exhibition game. Great stuff.

I believe that was the game where Riggins mowed over Don Mcneal in the Miami secondary and took it to the house.

That was the first game I ever bet on and I lost my ass!

I was 18 years old at the time and bought my 1st keg of beer!

But a head coach tossing the playbook like that? Something could be true to his story.

Who knows? But, the season statistics don't back up his claim. They were a pass first offense, led the league in completions and 2nd in attempts? Only 24th in rushing.... They went down early due to interceptions. Still think it was sour grapes and I have never really cared for Brown, even back to his days at ND!

Who knows? But, the season statistics don't back up his claim. They were a pass first offense, led the league in completions and 2nd in attempts? Only 24th in rushing.... They went down early due to interceptions. Still think it was sour grapes and I have never really cared for Brown, even back to his days at ND!

They sure were pass first. Rich Gannon did one of the best turn arounds of any QB ever. MVP. When they played Pittsburgh on a night game and beat them, they threw the ball every play but two I think? A record. It was a sight to behold. They just left a naked backfield and said we are going to throw at you all day. Stop us!!!!

The 2003 Super Bowl is an open wound for me...I still don't like talking about. In my mind, the Raiders win over the Titans in the AFC Championship Game is the last game the Raiders played that year. That's how that season ends for me.

The Raiders that played in Super Bowl 37 didn't look at all like the team that I had seen all year. But do I believe Callahan would sabotage his own career just so his buddy Gruden could win? Hell no!

This is just frustration or sour grapes coming from Tim Brown. Rich Gannon has already refuted Brown's charges...and so has Romanowski. It's weird, you rarely heard from Tim Brown during his career...the team had plenty of other more colourful and quotable guys the reporters would focus on. This seems out of character for him, judging from his Raiders career. Like Marcus Allen, he was the quiet guy who just got the job done without histrionics or calling attention to himself.

I always blamed the Raiders loss in that Super Bowl to two things: Barrett Robbins and John Gruden.

Only the Raiders could have a bi-polar center who chooses the day before the Super Bowl to vanish into Tijuana(the Super Bowl was in San Diego that year), meaning the team now had to play the Super Bowl with their backup center. Which would have been hard enough under normal circumstances. But the Raiders never even got a chance to have a practice with Adam Treu playing with the starters.

This was crucial...a quarterback and center develop a chemistry, a rhythm together forged over time and practice. The center learns exactly how the quarterback likes to have the ball snapped. The center is also responsible for calling out blocking schemes at times.

So to go with your Pro Bowl center all season and during the playoffs and thru practices leading up to the Super Bowl(there was only one week before the Super Bowl that year) and then LOSE him the night before the game? That is a huge blow and distraction.

And distracted is how I felt the Raiders were playing.

Then, the other problem was that out of all the opponents for the Raiders, Tampa Bay was the worst...as John Gruden had been the previous coach of the Raiders and knew the Raiders offense inside and out. It was eerie watching the Buccaneers defense anticipate every play like they knew what was being called.

It was the Perfect Storm for the Raiders: an opponent who knew your play calls and losing your starting center.

Sure enough, the Buccaneers got consistent pressure up the middle of the line, overwhelming Adam Treu, and never giving Rich Gannon any time to throw.

Funny thing about the Raiders that year...they played two of the most diametrically opppsed games I have ever seen one team play in the same season. As Rick previously mentioned, against the Steelers that year, they beat Pittsburgh throwing the ball on all but two running plays. Then, in the season finale against Kansas City in tje rain, they hammered the Chiefs by RUNNING ON EVERY PLAY!!! It was diabolical...the Raiders offense that year was amazing with Gannon slinging it to Rice and Brown and Porter and here they come to Kansas City and not one pass!

And Kansas City still couldn't do a damn thing about it.

By the way, about the crackpot suggestion to move the Super Bowl to the middle of the country: Walter is right, who the hell wants to go to Kansas in January?

I'll get to my Super Bowl picks, as well as some of the astounding array of accusations/excuses in this thread, at another time.

The 2003 Super Bowl is an open wound for me...I still don't like talking about. In my mind, the Raiders win over the Titans in the AFC Championship Game is the last game the Raiders played that year. That's how that season ends for me.

The Raiders that played in Super Bowl 37 didn't look at all like the team that I had seen all year. But do I believe Callahan would sabotage his own career just so his buddy Gruden could win? Hell no!

This is just frustration or sour grapes coming from Tim Brown. Rich Gannon has already refuted Brown's charges...and so has Romanowski. It's weird, you rarely heard from Tim Brown during his career...the team had plenty of other more colourful and quotable guys the reporters would focus on. This seems out of character for him, judging from his Raiders career. Like Marcus Allen, he was the quiet guy who just got the job done without histrionics or calling attention to himself.

I always blamed the Raiders loss in that Super Bowl to two things: Barrett Robbins and John Gruden.

Only the Raiders could have a bi-polar center who chooses the day before the Super Bowl to vanish into Tijuana(the Super Bowl was in San Diego that year), meaning the team now had to play the Super Bowl with their backup center. Which would have been hard enough under normal circumstances. But the Raiders never even got a chance to have a practice with Adam Treu playing with the starters.

This was crucial...a quarterback and center develop a chemistry, a rhythm together forged over time and practice. The center learns exactly how the quarterback likes to have the ball snapped. The center is also responsible for calling out blocking schemes at times.

So to go with your Pro Bowl center all season and during the playoffs and thru practices leading up to the Super Bowl(there was only one week before the Super Bowl that year) and then LOSE him the night before the game? That is a huge blow and distraction.

And distracted is how I felt the Raiders were playing.

Then, the other problem was that out of all the opponents for the Raiders, Tampa Bay was the worst...as John Gruden had been the previous coach of the Raiders and knew the Raiders offense inside and out. It was eerie watching the Buccaneers defense anticipate every play like they knew what was being called.

It was the Perfect Storm for the Raiders: an opponent who knew your play calls and losing your starting center.

Sure enough, the Buccaneers got consistent pressure up the middle of the line, overwhelming Adam Treu, and never giving Rich Gannon any time to throw.

Funny thing about the Raiders that year...they played two of the most diametrically opppsed games I have ever seen one team play in the same season. As Rick previously mentioned, against the Steelers that year, they beat Pittsburgh throwing the ball on all but two running plays. Then, in the season finale against Kansas City in tje rain, they hammered the Chiefs by RUNNING ON EVERY PLAY!!! It was diabolical...the Raiders offense that year was amazing with Gannon slinging it to Rice and Brown and Porter and here they come to Kansas City and not one pass!

And Kansas City still couldn't do a damn thing about it.

By the way, about the crackpot suggestion to move the Super Bowl to the middle of the country: Walter is right, who the hell wants to go to Kansas in January?

I'll get to my Super Bowl picks, as well as some of the astounding array of accusations/excuses in this thread, at another time.

Well I sure was cheering for the Raiders in that Super Bowl, cant stand that Sapp and Gruden is overated as a coach. The Raiders should have played better and the score was not a true measure of those teams. But you guys did steal one from the Eagles when the Eagles were the better team. And the same from the Redskins. i will never take any of Kenny Stabler's accomplishments from him. Now that was a great Raiders team.

WHY were the Eagles a better team? They never did anything again....meanwhile the Raiders beat the great Redskins team just a few years later for a 2nd win with that group. I don't know how you can always talk about the better teams losing? They were not - both on the field and in my opinion!

WHY were the Eagles a better team? They never did anything again....meanwhile the Raiders beat the great Redskins team just a few years later for a 2nd win with that group. I don't know how you can always talk about the better teams losing? They were not - both on the field and in my opinion!

In sports the best team does not always win Walter. We all know that. They are called upsets for a reason. The Eagles had Montgomery and had a better season and record and beat better teams including Dallas to get there. The Raiders were a wild card. It was an upset. So too was the Jets over the Colts as they were 19 pt underdogs and a league that had never put up a fight let alone win a SB. Joe Theisman's Redskins were a big favorite to win that game.

But you guys did steal one from the Eagles when the Eagles were the better team. And the same from the Redskins.

:blink: Wow, sometimes you really beggar belief, Rick. The Raiders kicked both the Eagles and the Redskins asses. They didn't squeak by or steal anything...they dominated those teams.

What did the Eagles ever do before or after that year? Those Eagles were a one-and-done team. The Tom Flores-Jim Plunkett Raiders won two Super Bowls...and won them convincingly. That 1983 team was loaded with talent and Hall of Famers.

By contrast, the two times the Redskins won Super Bowls in the 1980s, it was during strike-shortened seasons.

:blink: Wow, sometimes you really beggar belief, Rick. The Raiders kicked both the Eagles and the Redskins asses. They didn't squeak by or steal anything...they dominated those teams.

What did the Eagles ever do before or after that year? Those Eagles were a one-and-done team. The Tom Flores-Jim Plunkett Raiders won two Super Bowls...and won them convincingly. That 1983 team was loaded with talent and Hall of Famers.

By contrast, the two times the Redskins won Super Bowls in the 1980s, it was during strike-shortened seasons.

Hogwash. The Riggens led Redskins team that beat Marino's fish was a good team. And Theisman was far better than that Plunkett. Stablers teams were the best

Actually Rick, it wasn't Marino's fish that got beat by the Skins. David Woodley was the QB for that game, Marino got drafted the next season.

Paul you and a few others can make a living out of scolding me for not being precise in my memory of events that took place over thrity years ago. One thing I am absolutely correct on, I did see Led Zeppelin on May 30th of 1977-Memorial Day and memorable it was.

Tim Brown is claiming Callahan sabotaged the game plan for Superbowl XXXViI, maybe he should have caught he stinking ball.

http://www.usatoday....llahan/1855127/

Brown's talking garbage here. Al Davis was the only person in the Raiders organization who could switch game plans :lol: . Seriously though,sounds like a load of sour grapes coming from Tim.

Paul you and a few others can make a living out of scolding me for not being precise in my memory of events that took place over thrity years ago. One thing I am absolutely correct on, I did see Led Zeppelin on May 30th of 1977-Memorial Day and memorable it was.

No scolding Rick, just reporting the facts. All we want is the facts, maam. :P

jack_webb_dragnet.gif

Brown's talking garbage here. Al Davis was the only person in the Raiders organization who could switch game plans :lol: . Seriously though,sounds like a load of sour grapes coming from Tim.

He must be promoting a book. I think I should've posted this in the Skywatch thread. I just thought it was interesting considering strider wrote a lengthy post on this very game. Strider you are prophetic.

He must be promoting a book. I think I should've posted this in the Skywatch thread. I just thought it was interesting considering strider wrote a lengthy post on this very game. Strider you are prophetic.

Actually, Black Dawg, as much as I get on Rick for fumbling facts and garbling names, I have to give Rick the credit here.

I woke up today and saw the Tim Brown headline when I was checking for the Lakers game. When I came here to post the story I saw that Rick had already posted the Tim Brown story link...you have to go back two or three pages.

But sorry, Rick, you're dead wrong about the Raiders stealing those Super Bowl wins. All the smart money was coming in on the Raiders for both of those Super Bowls...ask anybody who worked the books back then.

The Eagles were favoured because there was still a prejudice against Wild Card teams...nowadays nobody blinks when Vegas makes a Wild Card team a favourite. But I'm sure Washington was not a heavy favourite as you claim. Yes, they were defending Super Bowl champions, but they were favoured by 3, 3.5 points at most.

And if you go back and check the tape, quite a lot of the predictions made in print and on tv for the Super Bowl that year were for the Raiders to beat the Redskins.

I lost my shirt betting on the Dolphins the year before versus the Redskins...still see that Riggins 4th and 1 play in my nightmares. So I was very happy to clean up the next year betting on my Raiders to kick Redskin ass. Lots of Redskins fans/suckers in the Army that year...I made enough money to finance a trip to the Himalayas.

Second greatest Super Bowl memory of my life. The first and Numero Uno being Super Bowl XI at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, when the Raiders finally won their first Super Bowl: Raiders 32, Vikings 14.

Actually, Black Dawg, as much as I get on Rick for fumbling facts and garbling names, I have to give Rick the credit here.

I woke up today and saw the Tim Brown headline when I was checking for the Lakers game. When I came here to post the story I saw that Rick had already posted the Tim Brown story link...you have to go back two or three pages.

Well here I am giving you credit and Rick turns out to be a friggin genius. I bet he did well in primary school before his age diminished his memory.

Guess you should've had a cup of that last week at this time....don't go there unless you want to be called out on it dipshit!

same goes for you ass wipe so drink up..your bitchass comments will get a response...like you say dish and take you clown

Ha,Ha...Nah, weve got shit going on all year long, and nobody knows where the money goes.

Supposedly, not as much revenue from events like this go towards the city as you would think. Im sure the NFL makes a killing. No doubt the bars, clubs , hotels, etc will do well here...But my point is, we have Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, Essence Fest, French Quarter Fest, Voodoo Fest, Local Irish/Italian parades and countless other festivals and events ALL year around. Katrina was 7 years ago. Sadly, some areas still look like WW3. I highly doubt anything will change after the SB.

BTW, I think it's due back here again in 2018.

Well, I heard where Nagin is up for indictment. Guess he was dipping into the fund himself 'a little bit'.

http://www.nola.com/...rst_new_or.html

Archived