What is Zep's second weakest album?

Old Shep

What is Zep's second weakest album?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What is Zep's second weakest album, and why?

Go on then, get it out of your systems first - 'Troll!' 'Oh, vile calumny!!' 'Zep never made a weak album!!!'

Ok, now calm down, and try to be mature about this.

I think it's LZII. That's not to say that it's a bad album, but IMO it's their second-least substantial outing. Of course, this is attributable in part to the unavoidable circumstances of its gestation, and yes it was a massive breakthrough for them and added enormously to their live repertoire...but for me, the album itself just doesn't have the balls, panache or gravitas of their other albums - apart from ITTOD, which is clearly their weakest effort by some considerable distance. IMO.

Three votes in, and already a vote for ITTOD? Hmm.

I was going to leave ITTOD off the options, for what are (to me, at least) obvious reasons...but then I thought, no, let's play this one straight.

Having said that, I think anyone who votes for ITTOD should at least pay us all the courtesy of telling us which album they consider to be even weaker. Thank you.

Physical Graffiti. To me PG and Presence are their two weakest. Presence is their weakest because Achilles and NFBM are their only really great songs. Tea For One is good but it drags a bit. The other songs are eh. As far as Physical Graffiti, it's a mixed batch with some decent songs (Especially Trampled Underfoot, In My Time of Dying and Black Country Woman) and several not so good songs (Mainly talking The Rover, Night Flight and Sick Again). Physical Graffiti imo has the two worst Led Zeppelin songs, Night Flight and The Rover but the other good to great songs make up for it. Neither are bad albums, far from it, but they're not as good as the other 6.

Old Sheep... 1) you suggest that we all think ITTOD is their weakest. Yet look at the comments above and in other threads. There are so many that would not agree... hence your whole poll gets a flaw right here. 2) you even wanted to omit ITTOD for this reason, but kept it at last. When there came a person stating that you omited CODA for that reason, so he voted ITTOD (very reasonable since you, yourself, wanted to do that anyway), you didnt quite recognize your own mistake ;).

Anyway, having said that, I agree that ITTOD is the weakest and as for second, I would HAVE TO go with Presence. I just like their earlier stuff more then these two albums. It doesnt mean I dislike those though, they would still be on top of a list of any other band had they invented something as spectacular as Presnece/ITTOD ;).

So I voted Presence.

• 5 months later...

I voted for "III". The third album, while far from being bad, has never really been a top album from them for me. I feel it has too much "filler" on it. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just a personal thing. There's a few songs on there that are gems, but I have never been able to get into the whole album like I have with other Zep albums. ITTOD is still the weakest to me, but I would have to put "III" as second in my book. Funny thing is, I have trouble even picking albums for polls like this, but it's always interesting when I make myself come to a decision.

although Presence is a cool album (in my opinion) i voted that album in the poll because of the overall success it made. People thought it was a disappointment although it went to #1 on the US charts. Some fans thought the band just rushed on making this album since it was done in 18 days. And so, the outlook made me vote for it.

I think Night Flight is a great song, but that's just my two cents! The Rover is not a bad song, but uses the word "yeah" way too much and the end of the song always irritated me a little.

Physical Graffiti. To me PG and Presence are their two weakest. Presence is their weakest because Achilles and NFBM are their only really great songs. Tea For One is good but it drags a bit. The other songs are eh. As far as Physical Graffiti, it's a mixed batch with some decent songs (Especially Trampled Underfoot, In My Time of Dying and Black Country Woman) and several not so good songs (Mainly talking The Rover, Night Flight and Sick Again). Physical Graffiti imo has the two worst Led Zeppelin songs, Night Flight and The Rover but the other good to great songs make up for it. Neither are bad albums, far from it, but they're not as good as the other 6.

• 1 month later...

Archived