Why Public Transportation Is Not For Me…

Charles J. White

On the rare occasions I have witnessed something like this happening on a bus/train I usually try and keep my head down - the last thing I would do would be to get my phone out and start filming, because there is always that chance they will turn their attentions your way. I'm very surprised that the "cameramen/women" in most of these videos seem to avoid attracting the attention of those they are filming.

I'm very surprised that the "cameramen/women" in most of these videos seem to avoid attracting the attention of those they are filming.

It's very likely that they're staged

True, but I think the staged ones are pretty easy to spot. The clips I have watched on this thread aren't staged, in my opinion.

For example, in this clip at 2:00 in, she realises she's being filmed.

True, but I think the staged ones are pretty easy to spot. The clips I have watched on this thread aren't staged, in my opinion.

For example, in this clip at 2:00 in, she realises she's being filmed.

You'd be amazed at what some people will do to try and claim a few $ out of the bus companys. Hell, a lot of them do it just to show off on Youtube

I have been using public transport for the past nine years, in the main it is quite reliable. Unless you are travelling late at night or early in the morning, because then Stagecoach Merseyside are absolutely useless. I mean, where I live they consider that nobody needs a bus before 9.00am on a Sunday morning. But during the day they are fine.

I used to ride the BART system in the bay area and it was pretty nice because most of the crazies and bums wouldn't ride it. The busses though....different story. You had to be prepared to experience violence, drug use, piss smells, etc. I hated it when they'd pack you in like sardines: 'MOVE TO THE BACK OF THE BUS, PLEASE!!'

But there was also a lot of humor encountered. :^)

I do agree though, to hell with mass transit. :wacko:

I love public transport. When I used to live in Sheffield the public transport system was probably one of the best in the country outside of London. I was particularly fond of the Supertram - cheap, clean and very efficient. I never needed to use a car when I could walk everywhere or hop on a bus or the tram.

Living out in the countryside, the public transport isn't as great, but it has imporved recently with more regular buses running into town. I don't drive, but my other half does so we have a car.

The trouble with public transit is that can't really meet everyones needs but it's being promoted as if it can. To me, if run and funded properly, it can serve the public very well but in too many North American cities, it's being rammed down peoples throats as the "only option" .Not a realistic view imo and a rather costly one ( taxes) for people who, because of poor service , are unable to even access and/or use their public transit system .

This was my reaction, too, Ally. It seems nothing amuses certain people today more than attacking and antagonizing other people and filming it to put up on YouTube.

There are groups that go around picking fights or raping girls and having their buddies film it with their iPhones. Then they spread the footage around to their friends. Apparently cheap notoriety is all you need to be popular these days.

Some of these clips Charles has been posting have the same stench of being 'staged' about them. Let me be clear and add that I'm not saying that Charles himself staged them.

I had an interesting experience on the subway this past Monday. I've been riding the subway in Los Angeles for 20 years since it began in 1993...January 30, 1993 to be exact. Never had one problem in all that time.

Then, on Monday morning, for the first time I was stuck in the tunnel. The subway had just left the station and halfway to the next station, it just died and would not move...forward or backward. For almost 30 minutes we were just sitting there, waiting for a repair tech to come out and fix the problem. It turned out to be a faulty brake on the lead car.

But here's the thing...nobody lost their temper or got angry or excited. We all remained calm and cool and just waited patiently for the problem to be fixed. I was kind of proud of my fellow citizens at that moment.

This was my reaction, too, Ally. It seems nothing amuses certain people today more than attacking and antagonizing other people and filming it to put up on YouTube.

There are groups that go around picking fights or raping girls and having their buddies film it with their iPhones. Then they spread the footage around to their friends. Apparently cheap notoriety is all you need to be popular these days.

Some of these clips Charles has been posting have the same stench of being 'staged' about them. Let me be clear and add that I'm not saying that Charles himself staged them.

I had an interesting experience on the subway this past Monday. I've been riding the subway in Los Angeles for 20 years since it began in 1993...January 30, 1993 to be exact. Never had one problem in all that time.

Then, on Monday morning, for the first time I was stuck in the tunnel. The subway had just left the station and halfway to the next station, it just died and would not move...forward or backward. For almost 30 minutes we were just sitting there, waiting for a repair tech to come out and fix the problem. It turned out to be a faulty brake on the lead car.

But here's the thing...nobody lost their temper or got angry or excited. We all remained calm and cool and just waited patiently for the problem to be fixed. I was kind of proud of my fellow citizens at that moment.

Oh, like you I wasn't suggesting that Charles staged these vids himself either ( sorry Charles if that was the impression I gave you ) but yeah, there are plenty of people out there who get their jollies out of staging bogus and even criminal events. I suppose it makes them feel like the powerful people that they definitely are not !

I'm happy to hear that the people on your train found a way to keep their cool. In Vancouver, we have an elevated system and numerous times when there's been long delays, I've seen people crack open the doors and walk along the structure that houses the tracks ! Crazy F#$ks that they are :wacko:

Things like this are bound to happen when you cram people into confined spaces. I avoid all public transportation during rush hour, and I avoid the bus completely. I've taken the Metolink (train) in California multiple times (40 and 90 minute trips). I've never had any problems. The only incident I have ever had was on B.A.R.T. in San Francisco when a female passenger was too drunk to stand up on her own and fell over on me a couple of times.

Driving can be just as bad, especially in the southern California area. I used to be pretty hot headed behind the wheel, but after a few incidents I decided getting upset wasn't worth the possible consequences.

If you think public transport is bad in the west I urge anyone to take the Manali (Himalaya region) in India to New Delhi "Luxury Bus". 24 Hrs of pure hell. It starts off going down in a spiral direction with the Beas river cascading to your left. It then takes a straight road for hours, interspersed with the chai stop and the driver to check the tyres. If you survive that then the darkness comes and the trip takes on your worst nightmare. The driver, yes he is still the same one, puts his foot down on unlit roads with every type of bus,lorry,bicycle,cow,car, monkey, coming head on in the opposite direction. I heard a man yell with a voice akin to someone begging for his life " Slow down. I have my family with me" After many hours and a weight loss of a few pounds the bus stopped on the outskirts of the Capital. We hobbled off to refresh and pinch ourselves to see if we were actually still alive.

Then the best bit was that the driver, who was the same one who set off 24hrs earlier, jumped up on to the roof as another mad, deranged driver took over. When we arrived in Delhi the driver on the roof was throwing the bags down and the look on his face was that of a psychotic patient straight out of One Flew Over The Cockoos Nest but after 5 grams of amphetamine sulphate.

The CP's sat for about half an hour after the journey, shook our heads and said Never Again !! We then flew back to England after a year away the next morning. I hadn't slept for 2 days and had to take a bus from London back home - but that's another story

If you think public transport is bad in the west I urge anyone to take the Manali (Himalaya region) in India to New Delhi "Luxury Bus". 24 Hrs of pure hell. It starts off going down in a spiral direction with the Beas river cascading to your left. It then takes a straight road for hours, interspersed with the chai stop and the driver to check the tyres. If you survive that then the darkness comes and the trip takes on your worst nightmare. The driver, yes he is still the same one, puts his foot down on unlit roads with every type of bus,lorry,bicycle,cow,car, monkey, coming head on in the opposite direction. I heard a man yell with a voice akin to someone begging for his life " Slow down. I have my family with me" After many hours and a weight loss of a few pounds the bus stopped on the outskirts of the Capital. We hobbled off to refresh and pinch ourselves to see if we were actually still alive.

Then the best bit was that the driver, who was the same one who set off 24hrs earlier, jumped up on to the roof as another mad, deranged driver took over. When we arrived in Delhi the driver on the roof was throwing the bags down and the look on his face was that of a psychotic patient straight out of One Flew Over The Cockoos Nest but after 5 grams of amphetamine sulphate.

The CP's sat for about half an hour after the journey, shook our heads and said Never Again !! We then flew back to England after a year away the next morning. I hadn't slept for 2 days and had to take a bus from London back home - but that's another story

Gawd!! :^(

Things like this are bound to happen when you cram people into confined spaces. I avoid all public transportation during rush hour, and I avoid the bus completely. I've taken the Metolink (train) in California multiple times (40 and 90 minute trips). I've never had any problems. The only incident I have ever had was on B.A.R.T. in San Francisco when a female passenger was too drunk to stand up on her own and fell over on me a couple of times.

Driving can be just as bad, especially in the southern California area. I used to be pretty hot headed behind the wheel, but after a few incidents I decided getting upset wasn't worth the possible consequences.

One time I was on the front car on BART and this black guy comes storming through from the other car yelling: 'WHERE IS THAT MOTHERFUCKER??' He goes up to the operator cab and is banging on the door to open up as 'knows' the operator is smoking weed. He didn't notice a 6 foot 6, 300 lb. security guard sitting there and when he stood up this guy kinda wilted as the guard asked him what the problem was. He went on rambling about how they didn't open the door at his spot and he had helped build BART and he KNEW they were all smoking weed in the master control room. The guard calmly told him to just get off at the next station and catch the train going back the other way. Case closed. Might makes right! :lol:

Archived