Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Strider said:

^^^A moment of silence.

That's the sound of the current level of popularity of the sport.... ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PGA Championship is slow moving with the rain delays.

Baltusrol is a special place for us.  Lots of memories.  One being a birdie Mrs Walter made at the legendary par three 4th hole during a rare time playing with her father in a pro-am there in '94.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/07/2016 at 8:16 PM, Walter said:

PGA Championship is slow moving with the rain delays.

Baltusrol is a special place for us.  Lots of memories.  One being a birdie Mrs Walter made at the legendary par three 4th hole during a rare time playing with her father in a pro-am there in '94.

Sweet Walt. Watched the highlights this morning. Well done Jimmy, very unlucky Jason Day - what an eagle on the last?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justin Rose and Sergio neck and neck. This with Speith and Ricki close behind should be a great final day.

Glorious weather here so am doing a 3 ball "Texas Scramble" this morning in readiness for the action to start. Mrs CP is getting the fried chicken in and wines will be cooling and papers rolling. Can't get better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Speith shoots a 65 and wins it all today.

Not sure about that BM. Rooting for Rosie of course but would love to see Sergio claim the jacket. Anyway had a great round myself today and am really looking forward to the action. Pass me the papers Mrs CP:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Sergio. Epic final day. As the saying goes " driving for show, putting for dough" Rosie just didn't get his short game right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Congrats Sergio. Epic final day. As the saying goes " driving for show, putting for dough" Rosie just didn't get his short game right. 

Yes, that was a great ending.  Congrats to Sergio for finally getting over the hump in a major.  Thought he was going to pull his usual choke job with those horrible drives, etc on 10-12.  Glad you had a good day, CP!  How'd the fried chicken turn out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer, this years British Open starting this week is being shown live only on Sky sports, an overpriced subscription channel. The BBC will only have highlights..

Edited by JTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JTM said:

Bummer, this years British Open starting this week is being shown live only on Sky sports, an overpriced subscription channel. The BBC will only have highlights..

Same as last year JTM. At least that fat bore Alliss will not be broadcasting on my box !!

Sky promised only to have 1 ad every half hour or so. They lied of course. Look, the BBC had the chance to keep it but wouldn't cough up the dosh. Too busy making absolute shit programmes like Poldark and Dr who etc  and paying top executives and presenters ( that awful Bruce woman) obscene amounts of money. Our money. Just how many times does it consider necessary to have some nobody to make a travel/food show in Asia? Or pack off some has been actor to swim in the tropics? Or worse some "bake off" winner to make home cooked food? The BBC can go swing anyway. I mean man, you remember when the BBC had Cricket, Football, Golf, Rugby Union, The boat Race, The Grand National, The Derby. Need I go on? 

My predictions for this years Open? Anyone who can master the awful conditions facing them. Rickie Fowler could, Sergio could or an outside bet the local favourite and hair stylist Tommy Fleetwood. A local lad who is playing really well and he knows this course well and was brought up playing in filthy conditions. 

Can't see the big hitters doing well unless they can use irons and hit it straight. That counts Rory out ! I for one am really glad i will still be asleep for the 6.30 am start on day one but as a matter of schadenfreude will be having a sneek peek as they battle the wind and rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Same as last year JTM. At least that fat bore Alliss will not be broadcasting on my box !!

Sky promised only to have 1 ad every half hour or so. They lied of course. Look, the BBC had the chance to keep it but wouldn't cough up the dosh. Too busy making absolute shit programmes like Poldark and Dr who etc  and paying top executives and presenters ( that awful Bruce woman) obscene amounts of money. Our money. Just how many times does it consider necessary to have some nobody to make a travel/food show in Asia? Or pack off some has been actor to swim in the tropics? Or worse some "bake off" winner to make home cooked food? The BBC can go swing anyway. I mean man, you remember when the BBC had Cricket, Football, Golf, Rugby Union, The boat Race, The Grand National, The Derby. Need I go on? 

My predictions for this years Open? Anyone who can master the awful conditions facing them. Rickie Fowler could, Sergio could or an outside bet the local favourite and hair stylist Tommy Fleetwood. A local lad who is playing really well and he knows this course well and was brought up playing in filthy conditions. 

Can't see the big hitters doing well unless they can use irons and hit it straight. That counts Rory out ! I for one am really glad i will still be asleep for the 6.30 am start on day one but as a matter of schadenfreude will be having a sneek peek as they battle the wind and rain.

I remember the days when people complained because The BBC showed too much sport, they did so because it was cheap, only the cost of sending out a camera crew and "A" commentator. As for todays news about BBC salaries, fucking outrageous, part time "workers" paid tens of hundreds of £££, for what, talking..

Edited by JTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JTM said:

I remember the days when people complained because The BBC showed too much sport, they did so because it was cheap, only the cost of sending out a camera crew and "A" commentator. As for todays news about BBC salaries, fucking outrageous, part time "workers" paid tens of hundreds of £££, for what, talking..

You will not believe that some halfwit complained in "The Sunday Times" that the BBC had blanket coverage of Wimbledon ! 

£1.75 million sheets for presenting Match of the Day and that balding Geordie £400.000 for being a "punter", and they only work in the football season.

Worse still Chris Evens 2 million !! Fuck me. Says all you need to know about this country?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2013 at 4:51 AM, Strider said:

I forget who said it...maybe it was Dan Jenkins or Frank Deford..."Golf is a good walk spoiled."

I thought it was oscar Wilde? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

You will not believe that some halfwit complained in "The Sunday Times" that the BBC had blanket coverage of Wimbledon ! 

£1.75 million sheets for presenting Match of the Day and that balding Geordie £400.000 for being a "punter", and they only work in the football season.

Worse still Chris Evens 2 million !! Fuck me. Says all you need to know about this country?

Things need to change, I don't care who the presenters are,  as long as they report in a coherent manner, no need to shell out ridiculous money on so called "well knowns"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

I thought it was oscar Wilde? 

 

I think it was Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ebk said:

 

I think it was Mark Twain

Samuel Langhorne Clemens or as Esther said Mark Twain - Give the girl a bottle of her choosing.

Well as I have said. It's winter golf folks. This is what we put up with all year. Cold and windy and grey and this is the best day of the 4. Just wait until the rain comes tomorrow until Sunday. After an hour and a half there had only been 2 birdies!! It makes me feel great about my game to see the professionals hit a drive out of bounds.

It will improve today and the course will get easier so if you hit it straight you will do well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful afternoon across the pond, CP. I tried to watch, but it just couldn't keep my interest going today.  Hopefully the weekend will bring more traditional playing conditions and so sweaty palms will result. The local you were referring to was playing well when I first turned it on - don't know how his round finished though.  What's your opinion of the course? They said it had been dry there, so the deep stuff wasn't as green and thick as it usually is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/07/2017 at 6:05 AM, ebk said:

 

I think it was Mark Twain

Well between me, you and Stryder we have four to choose from! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Walter said:

Beautiful afternoon across the pond, CP. I tried to watch, but it just couldn't keep my interest going today.  Hopefully the weekend will bring more traditional playing conditions and so sweaty palms will result. The local you were referring to was playing well when I first turned it on - don't know how his round finished though.  What's your opinion of the course? They said it had been dry there, so the deep stuff wasn't as green and thick as it usually is?

Appearances can be very deceptive Chuck. The sun will not be making a showing for the rest of the tourney. It will be brutal today. Windy and wet. 

The local lad Fleetewood - I think expectations were too much for him 6 over I think

The course is magnificent. They have kept the rough fair. I reckon the best links course in England. It's not that far from me actually. About an hours drive.

I was supposed to play the course next door "Hillside" this year but we couldn't arrange it. It is too expensive to play Birkdale and hard to get a tee anyway.

Today will be a real test of skills. As always with a links it will be the weather who wins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Appearances can be very deceptive Chuck. The sun will not be making a showing for the rest of the tourney. It will be brutal today. Windy and wet. 

The local lad Fleetewood - I think expectations were too much for him 6 over I think

The course is magnificent. They have kept the rough fair. I reckon the best links course in England. It's not that far from me actually. About an hours drive.

I was supposed to play the course next door "Hillside" this year but we couldn't arrange it. It is too expensive to play Birkdale and hard to get a tee anyway.

Today will be a real test of skills. As always with a links it will be the weather who wins

I'm not far away from Royal Birkdale either, in fact I could use my free local bus/train travel pass to get there, oh the joys of being sixty. Now if the tourney was at Royal Liverpool Hoylake I could drive there in just over five minutes.

Anyway I'd forgotten that last year I watched the Open via a bad Fire Stick/Kodi stream, couldn't get it to work yesterday so the two hours of highlights on BBC Two last night had to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Appearances can be very deceptive Chuck. The sun will not be making a showing for the rest of the tourney. It will be brutal today. Windy and wet. 

The local lad Fleetewood - I think expectations were too much for him 6 over I think

The course is magnificent. They have kept the rough fair. I reckon the best links course in England. It's not that far from me actually. About an hours drive.

I was supposed to play the course next door "Hillside" this year but we couldn't arrange it. It is too expensive to play Birkdale and hard to get a tee anyway.

Today will be a real test of skills. As always with a links it will be the weather who wins

Yeah I saw that the course is near Manchester. The weather has definitely taken a turn today and the golf has been fun! We watched a story how some locals work on Birkdale in exchange for some cheaper playing time. 

How far is the drive to London (your fav city, I know) for you out there CP?

Edited by Walter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JTM said:

I'm not far away from Royal Birkdale either, in fact I could use my free local bus/train travel pass to get there, oh the joys of being sixty. Now if the tourney was at Royal Liverpool Hoylake I could drive there in just over five minutes.

Anyway I'd forgotten that last year I watched the Open via a bad Fire Stick/Kodi stream, couldn't get it to work yesterday so the two hours of highlights on BBC Two last night had to do.

Is Royal Liverpool Hoylake part of the Open rotation? I don't think I've heard of that course. Very cool that you guys have a travel pass that allows you to get around for free, without adding to traffic, etc.

Luckily with Directv over here (satellite) we have 5 extra channels for the Open. One spotlights a featured group exclusively, one shows a couple of high interest holes exclusively, one does an international broadcast. 

Spieth is up to a 2-shot lead with the weather letting up a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New favorite amateur:  Alfie Plant

Made the cut! Now he needs to belt out the battle cry from Immigrant Song! ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Walter said:

Is Royal Liverpool Hoylake part of the Open rotation? I don't think I've heard of that course. Very cool that you guys have a travel pass that allows you to get around for free, without adding to traffic, etc.

Luckily with Directv over here (satellite) we have 5 extra channels for the Open. One spotlights a featured group exclusively, one shows a couple of high interest holes exclusively, one does an international broadcast. 

Spieth is up to a 2-shot lead with the weather letting up a bit.

The Open was last at Hoylake in I think 2014 and previous to that in 2006 then before that along way back in about 1967. Birkdale though not far from Manchester is  closer to Liverpool, there's not much in it though, fifteen to twenty miles difference maybe.  I'm slightly envious that you have five channels for the Open, I'm stuck with the nightly two hours of BBC highlights..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...