After all of my time exploring the studio albums and live shows of Led Zeppelin, I have discovered many outtakes and unreleased/unfinished numbers that I think would have enhanced so many albums. What I want to know is, what are your favorite outtakes and what do you like about them?

Personally, my top five in no particular order would be Take Me Home, Fire, Swan Song, I Wanna Be Her Man, and Feel So Bad/Fixin To Die/Thats Alright Mama.

Shoot!

I love the alternative In The Light, cannot remember what it is called but the intro has harpsichord and completely different lyrics. I personally wold have preferred the song with the harpsichord but I figure if it was on the album that way and the synth / bowing intro was on an alt take I would be preferring that instead. Human nature I guess.

I like Fire too, that was a great song.

I love the alternative In The Light, cannot remember what it is called but the intro has harpsichord and completely different lyrics. I personally wold have preferred the song with the harpsichord but I figure if it was on the album that way and the synth / bowing intro was on an alt take I would be preferring that instead. Human nature I guess.

I like Fire too, that was a great song.

Is this what you are referring too?

Led Zeppelin "In the Morning":

http://youtu.be/O4OXbiWtArw

Fire is a tremendously good song I really don't get why it didn't get released!!

+1

It doesn't qualify as an outtake though. Obviously Fire isn't finished yet. Until now nothing else but a cassette recording surfaced...but I loved to hear a finished version.

+1

It doesn't qualify as an outtake though. Obviously Fire isn't finished yet. Until now nothing else but a cassette recording surfaced...but I loved to hear a finished version.

What era is it from ?

It sounds like ITTOD era but doesn't resemble to the sound of any of the other of jimmys tapes from that time. Could this be the last song Zepp ever composed?

"Fire" dates to c.1978 -- it's from the Clearwell Castle rehearsal tape.

Doubtful that it was the last Zeppelin composition -- others appear to have more spontaneously come together when they were at Polar Studios in Stockholm.

Fire is a tremendously good song I really don't get why it didn't get released!!

The riff was released in a song by The Firm, though the name escapes me. That song, however, was disappointing. The feeling of tension wasn't there as the piece was more of a pop song.

Here are some of my favorites...

In The Light (In The Morning) Early Studio Take/Mix. This one retains the "In The Morning" intro and has different verses than the final version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egOT58Tj1SQ&feature=youtu.be

No Quarter Jazzy Early Demo. An early run though of "No Quarter," interesting to hear a more upbeat version of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IAYRRpD6J4&feature=youtu.be

All of My Love Complete Early Mix. This is my favorite version of my favorite song off of ITTOD. Plant's vocals towards the end "I get a little bit lonely" just tug at my heartstrings. I also enjoy the extra bits of music here and there as well as Bonzo's statement at the end. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUMWqRG09Xk&feature=youtu.be

• 3 weeks later...

the outtakes are great,but I always wondered why jimmy never put out the chronological live box set/album he has always wanted to do!? starting from their first tour up until the last show in berlin on 7/71980. and why not release a remastered version on dvds and cdsand even vinyl of the knebworth 1979 shows and the earl's court shows in 1975?

• 4 months later...

Archived