Jimmy Page friendship with Richie Sambora

"Exclusevely information of Bon Jovi – New Jersey: The Golden Decade Blog, reports that Richie Sambora will have a really special guest in his live concert in London! The guy who will perform along with King of Swing in London, is a good friend of him, they hang out, they visit concerts together, they go out for dinner together, they even play guitar together sometimes in his friend’s place. They visit each other whenever Richie goes in London & they are in general really close friends! We’re talking about Sambora’s Guitar Hero, the legendary Jimmy Page! Jimmy Page, will perform live in London next to Richie Sambora during Every Road Tour"

http://thegoldendecade.nea24.com/?p=190

???

Ritchie is a fine guitar player with a much better voice than that preening, poodle haired Springteen wannabe he unfortunately hooked up with for most of his career. On his first solo album in 1991, Jimmy Page is thanked in the liner notes. I don't know if their friendship goes back that far or whether he thanking him for being an influence, etc.

Apparently Jimmy is "with" Bon Jovi here, but I can't really hear him:

"Exclusevely information of Bon Jovi – New Jersey: The Golden Decade Blog, reports that Richie Sambora will have a really special guest in his live concert in London! The guy who will perform along with King of Swing in London, is a good friend of him, they hang out, they visit concerts together, they go out for dinner together, they even play guitar together sometimes in his friend’s place. They visit each other whenever Richie goes in London & they are in general really close friends! We’re talking about Sambora’s Guitar Hero, the legendary Jimmy Page! Jimmy Page, will perform live in London next to Richie Sambora during Every Road Tour"

http://thegoldendecade.nea24.com/?p=190

???

Never happened, Richie spreading gossip. No upcoming shows either.

Richie deserves an Academy Award for keeping a straight face on Stern's show given what he was claiming, and whomever is behind that unofficial Bon Jovi blog ought to be ashamed of themselves. Followng the Stern show, they apparently announced on September 30th 2012 that Jimmy would be joining Richie for his October 17, 2012 London concert at Sheperds Bush Empire. However, Jimmy's visit to Tokyo at that time was already confirmed (though details had yet to be announced in the press).

To my knowledge, Jimmy & Richie's paths have only crossed twice. The first was that Music Therapy benefit encore jam with Bon Jovi on 'Good Golly Miss Molly', 'Train Kept A Rollin' & "With A Little Help From My Friends' at the Hammersmith Odeon on January 15, 1990 and the second was at the Kings of Leon concert at Hyde Park in London on June 23, 2011 as depicted in Ross Halfin's photo.

It was obvious he was exaggerating when he said he and Jimmy go out to gigs and to eat alone. Without Ross????? ;)

I know right?! :D

Richie deserves an Academy Award for keeping a straight face on Stern's show given what he was claiming, and whomever is behind that unofficial Bon Jovi blog ought to be ashamed of themselves. Followng the Stern show, they apparently announced on September 30th 2012 that Jimmy would be joining Richie for his October 17, 2012 London concert at Sheperds Bush Empire. However, Jimmy's visit to Tokyo at that time was already confirmed (though details had yet to be announced in the press).

To my knowledge, Jimmy & Richie's paths have only crossed twice. The first was that Music Therapy benefit encore jam with Bon Jovi on 'Good Golly Miss Molly', 'Train Kept A Rollin' & "With A Little Help From My Friends' at the Hammersmith Odeon on January 15, 1990 and the second was at the Kings of Leon concert at Hyde Park in London on June 23, 2011 as depicted in Ross Halfin's photo.

Thanks for this Steve. It was interesting, but questionable.

Ritchie is a fine guitar player with a much better voice than that preening, poodle haired Springteen wannabe he unfortunately hooked up with for most of his career. On his first solo album in 1991, Jimmy Page is thanked in the liner notes. I don't know if their friendship goes back that far or whether he thanking him for being an influence, etc.

Apparently Jimmy is "with" Bon Jovi here, but I can't really hear him:

That's Jimmy soloing around 2:03

Actually guys, I believe Richie was signed to a record before he was ever with Bon Jovi because of Jimmy 30 years ago…

That is false. As a by the way Sambora's official site states he is a "founding Bon Jovi member..." but actually he replaced the original guitarist in the Bon Jovi lineup, Dave Sabo.

That is false. As a by the way Sambora's official site states he is a "founding Bon Jovi member..." but actually he replaced the original guitarist in the Bon Jovi lineup, Dave Sabo.

I would assume that after Ritchie replaced Dave, Dave "Snake" Sabo went on to form or join Skid Row.

I remember reading somewhere that Skid Row were under contract with Jon Bon Jovi and Bon Jovi took a big percentage of Skid Rows earnings (in the early years). Once Skid Row got pretty big, Sebastian Bach was unhappy with the terms of the contract because Jon Bon Jovi was already making millions of dollars and still wanted his share from Skid Row.

Sebastian Bach made a reference to the effect that, "Bon Jovi already had millions of dollars and he still wants millions more from me. I mean, how many houses can he already buy with his own money and he still wants my money." (That was a paraphrase). But I think the point was made.

By the way, I am not a huge fan of either Skid Row (or Bon Jovi) but I do like some songs off of Skid Rows first two albums. "Monkey Business" is probably my favorite Skid Row song.

http://youtu.be/n8_rq7bhbkQ

An impeccable source has informed me that Richie & Jon Bon Jovi were guests in Jimmy's home near (location censored for public post) around the time of their Hammersmith Odeon jam on January 10, 1990. Bon Jovi was touring at the time, performing ten concerts in Greater London that month.

Now that Howard is with Satelight, he is the Led Zeppelin of interviewers. At the 4 min and 20 seconds through 5 minutes and 15 seconds he discusses how he was signed to a record deal with Swan Song. He also mentions Zeppelin a number of times during the interview. He also discusses his relationship in the early days when Kiss asked him to become the guitar player and he tried out for the gig. Not a fan of Richie's music, but he seems like a nice fellow, and it was a very good interview. Would be a cool guy to sit down with over a bottle of water and chat about life and the world in general and Led Zeppelin.

The full interview is here:

That's Jimmy soloing around 2:03

You mean the solo that is preceded by Jon Bon Jovi saying "Ritchie":P there is some guitar that may well be Jimmy after Ritchie's solo (from around 2:23 to 2:26) but I wouldn't say that constitutes a "solo" by any stretch of the imagination; and unless it was pointed out to you that Jimmy was "with" Bon Jovi in this video - you would never have known it.

At the 4 min and 20 seconds through 5 minutes and 15 seconds he discusses how he was signed to a record deal with Swan Song.

I'm aware that Page & Plant were interested in getting Bobby Parker signed to Swan Song in '73, so it's not implausible to think Swan Song's New York office was interested in signing other American artists, but it doesn't sound like Page had direct involvement in Sambora's deal. It must have come up as a topic of conversation when their paths crossed in '90.

At a Def Leppard gig in London, both Page and Sambora showed up and were hanging out backstage. So there is at least 3 occasions that have documented. It seems clear that Richie and Page are pals. Wherever Jimmy goes it ends up being documented somewhere in this day and age with the internet.

Archived