Introduction To LZ Soundboards 101

jabe

I'm addressing this to everyone taking part here: so in light of some of this info Glyn and Ledhed have passed on, is it fair to assume that no Zeppelin soundboard -at least from the '73-'80 era- circulates in anything lower than 1st gen (i.e. not from the master reel or cassettes)?

That appears to be correct. So if the 1st gen tapes sound good, think about what the masters would sound like.

The whole cassette/reel thing gets complicated when the master source is a cassette and then it's copied to a reel. Naturally the lineage only states Master -> Reel (1st gen)

Which is kind of a fucked up way of doing it, when ya think on it...why not just copy cassette to cassette, instead of cassette to reel? I mean, reel to reel is generally better quality than mere cassette tape...not a perfect analogy, but sound quality wise, it would sort of be like converting an mp3 file to WAV...

That appears to be correct. So if the 1st gen tapes sound good, think about what the masters would sound like.

Oh, it doesn't bear thinking about :lol: If the master soundboard tapes still exist, and were kept in pristine condition, they'd sound mighty fine!

Some of the soundboard dubs we've gotten sound flat as a pancake (28/5/77 comes to mind) whereas some of them sound excellent...for copies.

Glyn, many thanks for the SBD sources from RO. I find that kind of trivia utterly fascinating. Drives my wives mad though. Plus it does explain the comparatively poor state of the '73 SDBs. I find the widely variable quality to be astounding, given the stature of the band. I mean, there are soundboards of other bands from the late 60s which are pretty flawless. Funny, innit.

From RO - what the soundboards were recorded on.

73 boards were recorded reel-reel (w/a terrible azimuth problem) and wow-flutter
75-reel-reel (flawless)
77-cassette
80-either put through DBX then played back without (pulsy muted shitful sound.some of the more recent ones are better)

Thanks Nutrocker. As an aside, my first Zep bootleg was a tape copy of Dallas 5 March 1975 (spoiled from the start, see?) and first CD was Brussels '80, so SDBs have always been of interest to me. Hmm one could make money selling "I'm a Soundboard Snob" t-shirt.

heres my 2 cents:

what are the odds that they randomly recorded tapes of their shows ('71-'77) from the soundboard RANDOMLY? I'm talking about odds, since we are speculating.

I think that the odds of them randomly recording shows are low. I am mainly referring to their live shows post '71-'72. (examples: 1973 US tours and 1975) I'd like to think that when showco came aboard, every show was recorded for Jimmy's "diary" as he has said the tapes were. He said these shows were his "Led Zeppelin Live diary", or his diary of how his career as a rock star was going. He said they were never made for public listening, but for his own use. (then I'd steal them too!)

my young, witty, but often naive brain tells me this: they recorded 95% of their shows after an unknown time that fell between 1971-1973, whenever Jimmy decided to have showco record every show they could (tape from the sound board). Meaning that I feel 99% positive that almost every show from 75 and 77 is on sbd if the tapes survived.

Why would they record all Landover 77 shows AND monitor mixes, and not record the 1977 LA GIGS? Their favorite place to play?!?!? Why would they record the houston summit and not NYC? Why the first Cleveland gig and not Pontiac? Logic, to me, but I am young a naive.

They did record LTTE and FBO to sbd tapes, IMO. the LA 77 run is on soundboard, somewhere. I'm using logic here, people. And I'm confident.

my young, witty, but often naive brain tells me this: they recorded 95% of their shows after an unknown time that fell between 1971-1973, whenever Jimmy decided to have showco record every show they could (tape from the sound board). Meaning that I feel 99% positive that almost every show from 75 and 77 is on sbd if the tapes survived.

Why would they record all Landover 77 shows AND monitor mixes, and not record the 1977 LA GIGS? Their favorite place to play?!?!? Why would they record the houston summit and not NYC? Why the first Cleveland gig and not Pontiac? Logic, to me, but I am young a naive.

They did record LTTE and FBO to sbd tapes, IMO. the LA 77 run is on soundboard, somewhere. I'm using logic here, people. And I'm confident.

It's good to be confident, but even if all those shows do exist as soundboards doesn't mean we'll see 'em all released...well, maybe our grandkids might :lol:

heres my 2 cents:

what are the odds that they randomly recorded tapes of their shows ('71-'77) from the soundboard RANDOMLY? I'm talking about odds, since we are speculating.

I think that the odds of them randomly recording shows are low. I am mainly referring to their live shows post '71-'72. (examples: 1973 US tours and 1975) I'd like to think that when showco came aboard, every show was recorded for Jimmy's "diary" as he has said the tapes were. He said these shows were his "Led Zeppelin Live diary", or his diary of how his career as a rock star was going. He said they were never made for public listening, but for his own use. (then I'd steal them too!)

For crying out loud, it's common knowledge that they recorded EVERY CONCERT from 1971 ON when Showco was hired.

I'll swing far out on a kudzu vine and venture that all band members plus the Bonham estate have an extensive collection of the soundboards.

Interesting how some members of the forum aren't touching this thread with a ten foot pole.I pretty much expected that.

I'll swing far out on a kudzu vine and venture that all band members plus the Bonham estate have an extensive collection of the soundboards.

Hard to say...I'd be inclined to say Page is easily the biggest collector of the bunch, I can't see Robert Plant having a large stash of uncirculating LZ soundboards...

Interesting how some members of the forum aren't touching this thread with a ten foot pole.I pretty much expected that.

Even more innaresting is that members you'd expect to be all over a discussion like this aren't participating. Mind ya, over at other LZ sites a discussion such as this would probably already be censored all to shit, if not deleted altogether and all the participants banned :lol:

There's not much to censor here, yet, and the censoring has already been done (re: "Master" -> Reel).

So, about the tapes that were stolen, they were taken from Pages home sometime in the 80's and as the story goes it was someone close to Page (a house sitter, or someone the house sitter let in?) took the recordings while he was away. Page has said, under oath, that "virtually everything was taken."

I would assume most of the stuff taken was the demos/rehearsals/outtakes. I would guess that most of the 75-77 boards come form a Showco employee.

Jason is said to be a collector (and it's been discussed that he's the one leaking to EVSD....which is pretty preposterous). I'm sure Page would let Jason hear/get a copy of whatever he wanted.

We know that they recorded (via SBD) the 1977.06.23 (i.e. Badgeholders) concert, because Jimmy gave a sample of his guitar/noise solo from that night to his laser technician (known online as "Photonbeam") for reference prior to the Knebworth dates, and this sample has been online for a few years now.

I've wondered lately how SBDs from 1972 would sound like...

Jason is said to be a collector (and it's been discussed that he's the one leaking to EVSD....which is pretty preposterous).

Some wanker over at Dime was claiming that they "knew" Jimmy was the one leaking the SBDs -- via a friend-of-a-friend, of course.

Some wanker over at Dime was claiming that they "knew" Jimmy was the one leaking the SBDs -- via a friend-of-a-friend, of course.

Isn't that always the way? "A friend of a friend said so and so said such and such about such and such..." :lol: :lol: :lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: So much (at the very least) second hand information goes round in bootleg collecting -not just when it comes to LZ but their collectors are particularly guilty of the trait, I notice- that's it's not even fuckin' funny. Somebody's always claiming to "know" 'something' but they always seem to pass the buck regarding the source of the info on to somebody else, it's very rare it seems that anyone is willing to cop to it themselves...

Isn't that always the way? "A friend of a friend said so and so said such and such about such and such..." :lol: :lol: :lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: So much (at the very least) second hand information goes round in bootleg collecting -not just when it comes to LZ but their collectors are particularly guilty of the trait, I notice- that's it's not even fuckin' funny. Somebody's always claiming to "know" 'something' but they always seem to pass the buck regarding the source of the info on to somebody else, it's very rare it seems that anyone is willing to cop to it themselves...

It is! And, of course, when you call anyone out for it, they pant and whimper and threaten to go to ground with any info or sources they have...good riddance is what I say!

(I should rectify my statement a bit, though: He claims to be the friend of someone close to the band, who apparently "knows" that Jimmy is the one leaking SBDs...what a load!)

It is! And, of course, when you call anyone out for it, they pant and whimper and threaten to go to ground with any info or sources they have...good riddance is what I say!

No shit, I mean we're not talking state secrets here, investigative reporters meeting covertly in parking garages at 3am with the deputy director of the FBI ala Watergate :lol: Quite frankly the only reason I can see people backtracking after divulging too much 'secret' information when it comes to bootlegs/tape collecting is if there was money involved somewhere along the line, and by blabbing too much they stand the risk of blowing the deal. Or their part/stake in it...

(I should rectify my statement a bit, though: He claims to be the friend of someone close to the band, who apparently "knows" that Jimmy is the one leaking SBDs...what a load!)

"Friend of someone close to the band"...Ross Halfin? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though, these people always seem to "know" this shit, but where's the fucking proof? Once ya ask 'em that they scurry away like rats deserting a sinking ship never to be heard from again. Not that they'd be expected to actually tell the truth about the matter, mind ya, the 'truth' probably being more along the lines of, "I just made up this story outta whole cloth because I thought it would make me look cool and accepted by the elitist collectors crowd" or some such stupid shit...

(Once again, I can think of other sites where a statement like the above would have been deleted as soon as it was posted because it would probably strike too many nerves...It's already been pointed out in this thread that there are people with ample knowledge on this subject who are pretty conspicuous by their absence...I am starting to wonder why that is...could it be that some of things that have beeen mentioned in this discussion cut a little too close to the bone for some people? I'm just sayin'...)

For crying out loud, it's common knowledge that they recorded EVERY CONCERT from 1971 ON when Showco was hired.

And what's your source?

Zep played at least 270 shows after Showco was hired. How many post-71 soundboards have been released?

From RO - what the soundboards were recorded on.

Thanks for posting that list, Glyn. I meant to mark the original post for reference, but forgot. Now I don't have to slog backwards thru time.

But what about the gear used to record shows pre-1973? It's astonishing to hear some of those poor 1973 or 1971 soundboards and then hear some amazing soundboard from 1969. I'm sure Bill Graham/Wolfgang had his own setup at the Fillmore/Winterland venues. But did Led Zeppelin use their own setup to record the shows or just use Bill's machines?

Note to chillumpuffer: Led Zeppelin did release a live album before the 1977 tour: The Song Remains the Same, which came out in 1976.

Archived