Jimmy's 1961 Stratocaster Up For Sale

kenog

According to the undernoted website, Jimmy's 1961 Stratocaster is up for sale. I am a bit sceptical because I would have thought that it would go for a much higher price.

http://ld1.r.mailjet.com/3dez.html?a=5dBm0Q&b=252dc451&email=rickhenry68@gmail.com

"Jimmy Page is undoubtedly one of the world's most iconic and inspirational artists of the 20th century,
with classic hits as Whole Lotta Love, Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir...
His guitar tone is legendary, we are happy and honored to offer the following instrument that is a piece of
"ROCK N ROLL HISTORY" as it is synonymous to Jimmy's tone.
We are happy to offer the following instrument,
full details and documentation as follows:
Fender Stratocaster
Sunburst
Rosewood Neck
Internally - Externally Original
Condition 7/10
Verification
The instrument comes with the following written and photographic verification
IT MAY GET LOUD FILM - VIDEO FOOTAGE
Instrument is shown in the Rock Documentary It May Get Loud stating it is Jimmy Page's Fender Stratocaster
and is featured twice in the film, during the opening credits and again at 00.51.

Click Here to watch It Might Get Loud!

Original Purchase Receipt
Instrument was purchased in 1979 in a London music store and comes with original purchase receipt
that states Fender Stratocaster S.no xxxxx Ex-Led Zeppelin.
Jimmy Page - Fender Stratocaster
Although most famously known for using a Les Paul and a Telecaster, Jimmy can be seen with a Stratocaster
on several classic tracks including IN THE EVENING where he has developed his own tone - style with using tremolo
Comments
The above will appeal to those investors and collectors who have interest in the purchase of an instrument
from one of the world's most iconic and inspirational artists"
Price: £30,000

Approx - €35,357- $47,971

LD,

I agree. When I first saw it, I thought I would bring it here for the sake of members who are really interested in guitars.

Hmm. I smell a rat. Why on earth would Jimmy sell this? He doesn't need the money, and it doesn't sound like this is for charity.

Yes, they use the word "honored" - that is US spelling, and yet they put the price in UK Pounds before the Dollar equivalent.

I found the item on the myLesPaul.com forums, so they are obviously targeting collectors.

I smell a rat here as well....not because I'm an expert on guitars, but because the English in this "ad" is abysmal.

Yes, they use the word "honored" - that is US spelling, and yet they put the price in UK Pounds before the Dollar equivalent. I found the item on the myLesPaul.com forums, so they are obviously targeting collectors.

The grammar is atrocious; the line "he has developed his own tone - style with using tremolo" is a blatant example. I wish I could use one of those LOL smileys from my iPad but alas I can't....but you get the idea!

Yes, they use the word "honored" - that is US spelling, and yet they put the price in UK Pounds before the Dollar equivalent.

I found the item on the myLesPaul.com forums, so they are obviously targeting collectors.

Hi Dropsie. Maybe Jimmy, or one of his people, will come out and proclaim this ad as false (fraud).

Yes. An auction house would be the appropriate site for an electric guitar which Jimmy had owned. Unless proven otherwise, I fear this could be a horrible scam.

I hope so. If JP were to sell any of his guitars I'm sure he'd entrust the whole operation to an auction house like he did with the Martin he used for the Roy Harper concert.

Their documentation is that it's visible in the film "It Might Get Loud" and during the part they tell you to watch Page says "The sunburst, tobacco sunburst. My first electric." Now....why would the receipt say 1979 if it was his first electric?

Jeff,

Would you let us know if you receive a response. I am not sure if they mean that JPP owned it at one time, but may not have been the most recent owner. Failing that it could be, as I have said above in post 10, a scam.

I sent an email to the address at the bottom of the page. I'm rather curious about this one....

Jeff

Hope all is well , i appreciate the mail and can advise as follows

1.Fender 61 ST , Im afraid i cannot confirm that this was jimmys first fender although it as purchased from PAN MUSIC LONDON in 1974 , that states serial number and EX Led Zeppelin

2.It may Gt Loud , The guitar was loaned to the producers of the documentary IT MAY GET LOUD and was featured some footage within the film (can send link)

3.Other Interest , Do have an instrument that i feel 99.9% that did belong to JIMMY and was in fact his first ever electric guitar , details as follows

Graziozo Futurama

Sunburst

Maple Neck

100% As Specification as Jimmy Pss original (these are unusual features and the instrument itself is very rare)

History , The guitar was purchased around 10KM from where Jimmy Sold his original back in 62 -63

History - Reasons , Think it may be better to call - discuss the reasons why i feel it is 99.9% Jimmy First guitar (it has certain markings - identifications) so if the above is of interest please advise best contact number

Keep well and look forward to your feedback - response re above

Best Regards

JUSTIN

The most I can decipher from this gibberish is that this guitar was lent to Jimmy for It Might Get Loud.

Thanks for posting this Jeff. I can't see why they are depicting it in their main advert as having a strong connection with Jimmy (and hence justifying the asking price).

As for the Graziozo, he "feels" it is JPP's first electric guitar - you couldn't make this up!!! What about some documentary evidence instead.

The most I can decipher from this gibberish is that this guitar was lent to Jimmy for It Might Get Loud.

Cecil,

ITA with you. The response that Jeff got above was not giving any concrete documentary evidence that JPP owned it. I get the feeling that the sale is benefitting from the use of Jimmys name. I put the Ebay link on here so that we can see what price it finally reaches.

It does seem rather vague as to details linking the guitar to Jimmy, I would have thought it would have a far more high profile sale.

Did Jimmy own several 61 model strats, maybe it was some standby.

Cecil,

ITA with you. The response that Jeff got above was not giving any concrete documentary evidence that JPP owned it. I get the feeling that the sale is benefitting from the use of Jimmys name. I put the Ebay link on here so that we can see what price it finally reaches.

Seems the auction has ended, due to a listing error, whatever that means?

It could be that this sale has come to the attention of Jimmy's 'people' and the guitar doesn't have a sufficient connection to him to justify using his name in the listing. Maybe somebody who was viewing the listing raised concerns with Ebay - there is a facility on the right hand side of the page for people to report an item if they are not happy. Just my opinion.

It'll be interesting to see if it gets offered again with a revised description.

Seems the auction has ended, due to a listing error, whatever that means?

Archived