2014 NFL Thread...

paul carruthers

Hookers and blow are way more interesting than soft balls...

Hey - who'da thought the NFL might have been aware of "something" and then done "nothing"

http://deadspin.com/report-nfl-was-aware-of-patriots-deflation-allegations-1680914291

just saw that as well. This is really bad for the Pats. And it's just going to give the whole "Pats are Cheaters" so many legs. So OK, they stopped taping after they were caught. How long have they been underinflating footballs? WHAT ELSE have they/are they doing and they just haven't been caught yet?

I had no idea that each offense provides its OWN footballs, so you can do something like this, and no one is the wiser until you are intercepted.

If they did this, I can't imagine BB didn't know.

Ok. So it looks like this story has more bounce than I thought it warranted.

But even if it is true that 11 of the 12 balls were under-inflated, that does not prove intent. It could have been the result of a faulty gauge. Unless they can prove Belichick ordered the balls to be under-inflated it's still a non-issue with me. The Patriots would have beaten the Colts if they were playing with rocks or rugby balls.

Why doesn't the NFL provide the game balls instead of leaving it up to the teams?

Rules committee will be very busy in the off season!

Ok. So it looks like this story has more bounce than I thought it warranted.

But even if it is true that 11 of the 12 balls were under-inflated, that does not prove intent. It could have been the result of a faulty gauge. Unless they can prove Belichick ordered the balls to be under-inflated it's still a non-issue with me. The Patriots would have beaten the Colts if they were playing with rocks or rugby balls.

Why doesn't the NFL provide the game balls instead of leaving it up to the teams?

Self regulation never works.

The team involved was at worst cheating and at best not in the spirit of the game.

Surely there is a minimum standard regarding size and weight etc.?

If they didn't match that criteria then they breached the laws / rules.

I know for a fact that under-inflated balls are easier to handle, yet, harder to get any distance when kicking or punting.

Conversely, over-infalted balls have the opposite effect(s).

Faulty gauges, or valves are no excuse for a multi million dollar franchise whom you'd think would have enough resources to provide due diligence and thus eliminate this sort of thing from happening.

Sad but true, that the winning at all costs mindset takes precedence over fairplay and sportsmanship, however, in this instance I don't think the state of the balls had any influence on the result of the game.

Slightly off topic.

What's with the "gate" thing?

Every time there is a conspiracy or whatever the media automatically adds a "gate" to it.

Watergate was the name of the hotel where that shit went on, so it was apt at the time.

If I hear another "gate" incident I will take offence!?

Ok, so wait... It's okay to beat your wife, kids, bring guns into a locker room, run a dog fighting business, pour bleach on your wife, etc, etc, etc....

But deflating a football is the crime of the century???

God knows what else that son of a bitch Belechik has done with his cheating ass team? Likely have the Bills playbooks going back a decade

You might be on to something Rick. Belichick became the head coach of The Patriots in 2000. The Bills haven't made the playoffs since 1999.

Ok, so wait... It's okay to beat your wife, kids, bring guns into a locker room, run a dog fighting business, pour bleach on your wife, etc, etc, etc....

But deflating a football is the crime of the century???

+1000. But it's The Patriots. Guilty until proven otherwise.

Indy was toast no matter if "deflationgate" was real or unreal.

I dig a coach like Belichick because he knows how to extract excellence from his players.

And thanks, coach, for having Nick Saban as one of your assistant coaches for several years.

Calm down, I'm just bustin' balls!

No pun intended! :lol:

:Thinking::hysterical:

Here is what one Colts player tweeted:

An Indianapolis Colts cornerback weighed in on the debate about whether the New England Patriots' offense benefited from its reported use of deflated footballs by tweeting, "They could have played with soap for balls and beat us."

"Simply the better team," Dwayne Allen tweeted.

Wait til next week and that media circus..... I'm sure the Seahawks are enjoying this!

The Seahawks may be enjoying it now, but they may not enjoy it so much once the Super Bowl begins.

Remember when Spygate happened? Everyone piled on Belichick (that's when the Belicheat name came into vogue) and the Patriots. What happened? The Patriots started destroying everyone, scoring 48, 49, 52, 56 points on teams, and eventually finishing 16-0.

I have a feeling the Patriots are listening to all this bullshit right now and are quietly building up a focused anger which they will then unleash on the unsuspecting Seahawks. Get Belichick and Brady angry and they usually make teams pay.

Like I said before, when you have this much time before the big game, the media needs something to feed the cycle and "Deflate-Gate" is the strong flavor of the week. Even some of the Hawks players talking shit about Gronk couldn't bump the balls off the front page or the lead story on the sports networks...

The Seahawks may be enjoying it now, but they may not enjoy it so much once the Super Bowl begins.

Remember when Spygate happened? Everyone piled on Belichick (that's when the Belicheat name came into vogue) and the Patriots. What happened? The Patriots started destroying everyone, scoring 48, 49, 52, 56 points on teams, and eventually finishing 16-0.

I have a feeling the Patriots are listening to all this bullshit right now and are quietly building up a focused anger which they will then unleash on the unsuspecting Seahawks. Get Belichick and Brady angry and they usually make teams pay.

You mean the year they lost the Super Bowl after being undefeated?

You mean the year they lost the Super Bowl after being undefeated?

Yeah, it only took a one-in-a-million catch to beat them. Plus, New England's defense then wasn't near as good as this year's D...now they have Revis Island.

Interesting factoid: Wes Welker is 0-3 in Super Bowls. Maybe that's another reason New England let him go.

Archived