Best Plant vocal performance

godzilla777

I'm sure I'll catch hell for this, but I prefer his voice in '77 over anything else. He could still sustain longer notes, his range was good, and damn if it wasn't powerful.

You prefer 1977 even over the early days? If I'm looking for a show with a great vocal performance, more often than not it's a 1969/1970 show.

But yes, Robert's voice in 1977 was much, much better than his voice in 1973-1975 (I, personally, am not a big fan of his 1973 voice). He could fuckin' belt it, and his voice started to get back to sounding (for lack of a better word) manly like it did in the early days.

Ha Ha Sue's original post and then her Tempe GTC post really amends her original comment to now read: Plant's excellent 1977 vocals...on the first two legs of the 1977 tour only!

I would vote for US tour 1972 as well, probably from Seattle on (saying that as I haven't heard any shows from before that date, and I heard Plant's in great form at both Long Island, NY shows a few days earlier).

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Sue about 1977 Plant had regained his power and range, but more importantly he finally learned how to use it. Way too much over the top screaming and howling in 69&70.

It's a shame his voice kinda crashed again after that tour and evolved into the voice we know and love today.

The timbre of his voice changed completely from 77 to 79

• 2 months later...

The two that stand out the most to me are the shows in Newcastle 11/11/71 and the L.A. Forum 8/21/71. The performance of Rock and Roll from the Forum show is probably the most powerful performance he's ever done of that song. I think the '71 tour Plant was at the peak of his range and power, and it was all downhill from there. Although I would agree that he improves considerably in many of the '77 shows over what the '73 and '75 performances sounded like.

Archived