Ebola

cryingbluerain

They're catching it early. Hopefully, with the appropriate successful treatment, she'll be able to make a complete recovery.

Hopefully, but the mystery still remains why she and others have caught it even though they were wearing full protective clothing.

Africa is a very large continent. The Ebola epidemic is confined to a segment of West Africa so intensive screening of persons arriving from other parts of Africa would be waste of finite resources.

Correct, so the better solution would be to ban all flights coming from West Africa until the disease has subsided.

Hopefully, but the mystery still remains why she and others have caught it even though they were wearing full protective clothing.

Correct, so the better solution would be to ban all flights coming from West Africa until the disease has subsided.

The reason why these people are catching it is because they are not following containment protocol. The doctors in Africa became complacent and removed protective gear due to heat. The nurse is believed to have caught it as well due to a similar situation, that is she removed protective gear yet still handled potentially contaminated material.

The devil is ALWAYS in the details.

Investigators have not determined how Pham specifically contracted the disease from Duncan, who died on his 10th day of intensive care at Texas Health Presbyterian.
"If this one individual was infected and we don't know how — within the isolation unit — then it is possible that other individuals could have been infected as well," Frieden said during a press conference. "We consider them to be at risk and we are doing an in-depth review and investigation."

A day earlier, Frieden characterized the transmission from Duncan to Pham as a possible breach in safety protocols. On Monday he apologized for those remarks.

"Some interpreted that as finding fault with the hospital or the health care worker, and I'm sorry if that was the impression given, that was certainly not my intention," Frieden said. "What we need to do, is all take responsibility for improving the safety of those on the front lines. I feel awful that a health care worker became infected in the care of an Ebola patient. She was there trying to help the first patient survive."

The reason why these people are catching it is because they are not following containment protocol. The doctors in Africa became complacent and removed protective gear due to heat. The nurse is believed to have caught it as well due to a similar situation, that is she removed protective gear yet still handled potentially contaminated material.

The devil is ALWAYS in the details.

Hi IpMan, how's it goin?

Please site your souces on the certainty of how the nurse removed her gown, or is this just conjecture?
Please site your sorces that 348 health care workers all had removed their protective gear as well.

Africa is a very large continent. The Ebola epidemic is confined to a segment of West Africa so intensive screening of persons arriving from other parts of Africa would be waste of finite resources.

Except the US forces and that it was contained in Africa.Body bags?

Investigators have not determined how Pham specifically contracted the disease from Duncan, who died on his 10th day of intensive care at Texas Health Presbyterian.

"If this one individual was infected and we don't know how — within the isolation unit — then it is possible that other individuals could have been infected as well," Frieden said during a press conference. "We consider them to be at risk and we are doing an in-depth review and investigation."

A day earlier, Frieden characterized the transmission from Duncan to Pham as a possible breach in safety protocols. On Monday he apologized for those remarks.

"Some interpreted that as finding fault with the hospital or the health care worker, and I'm sorry if that was the impression given, that was certainly not my intention," Frieden said. "What we need to do, is all take responsibility for improving the safety of those on the front lines. I feel awful that a health care worker became infected in the care of an Ebola patient. She was there trying to help the first patient survive."

Hi IpMan, how's it goin?

Please site your souces on the certainty of how the nurse removed her gown, or is this just conjecture?

Please site your sorces that 348 health care workers all had removed their protective gear as well.

What up G...

You know my sources, they are unimpeachable, that is my ass :wizard:

No just kidding... The nurse which is currently sick was from the announcement I recently learned they retracted. The African worker info was from the some of the doctors themselves who claimed the containment procedures are very difficult to follow in third world conditions. Also, even in first world conditions the procedures are difficult, especially disrobing and disposal, this is suspected to be the most likely cause of transmission since these procedures are all new to the American based workers at this time.

I figure as long as the vector does not change (airborne that is), and the virus does not mutate to a strain which can survive for hours or days outside of a host we should be ok. I am more worried about an outbreak of the Spanish Flu than I am of Ebola TBH.

I figure as long as the vector does not change (airborne that is), and the virus does not mutate to a strain which can survive for hours or days outside of a host we should be ok. I am more worried about an outbreak of the Spanish Flu than I am of Ebola TBH.

That is the biggest concern (it becoming airborne) of scientists and doctors who have studied the disease.

Latest developments in the Ebola crisis:

WHO: 10,000 New Ebola Cases Per Week Could Be Seen

Interesting comments in the last article:
“Some of our nurses are asking worst-case-scenario questions,” Ms. Byrd said, for example about short-term life insurance. “What if you get infected and you don’t make it?”
Nurses are also wondering if their hospitals will be held responsible and care for them if they get sick. Others have been asking if caring for an Ebola patient is voluntary work or if they can opt to just care for other patients instead. Nurses also want to know if caring for an Ebola patient would come with higher compensation to match the risk.

Nurses at a Texas hospital where a Liberian man died of Ebola described a confused and chaotic response to his arrival in the emergency room, alleging in a statement Tuesday that he languished for hours in a room with other patients and that hospital authorities resisted isolating him..

In addition, they said, the nurses tending him had flimsy protective gear and no proper training from hospital administrators in handling such a patient.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-dallas-20141014-story.html#page=1

“There was no advanced preparedness on what to do with the patient. There was no protocol. There was no system. The nurses were asked to call the infectious disease department” if they had questions, but that department didn't have answers either, the statement said. So nurses were essentially left to figure things out on their own as they dealt with “copious amounts” of highly contagious bodily fluids from the dying Duncan while they wore gloves with no wrist tape, flimsy gowns that did not cover their necks, and no surgical booties, the statement alleged.

“Hospital officials allowed nurses who interacted with Mr. Duncan to then continue normal patient-care duties,” potentially exposing others, it said.

What up G...

You know my sources, they are unimpeachable, that is my ass :wizard:

No just kidding... The nurse which is currently sick was from the announcement I recently learned they retracted. The African worker info was from the some of the doctors themselves who claimed the containment procedures are very difficult to follow in third world conditions. I figure as long as the vector does not change (airborne that is), and the virus does not mutate to a strain which can survive for hours or days outside of a host we should be ok.

If your sources are doctors maybe you should read this: It's from doctors as well as scientists as well as the CDC: Los Angeles Times: CDC Forced to Admit that Ebola Might Be Spread to Healthcare Workers through Coughing and Sneezing

http://youtu.be/8uT_3-O-84A

http://youtu.be/U0PfKD0edco?t=20s

The incubation cycle of this strain of Ebola is 21 days. And with this being airborne, that would mean we should be hearing more about staff who worked with Patient Zero (Duncan) to become infected within the next 5 days, besides this one nurse.

The airport screenings of temperature taking are stupid and costly. Duncan arrived in the airport with no fever or signs. And for people with legitimate cases of the flu will now be subjected to unnecessary tests and/or quarantines. Plus even with a fever, a test can be easily masked with Ibuprofen.

This administration in conjunction with the CDC have already been proven wrong in assurances, and are doing what it takes to make sure Ebola has gotten into the country and are continuing to do so. You can't disprove it. It's a stand down mixed with disinfo.

Why is it Americans (far more than others) always feel compelled to live in fear of a boogie man? One week it's Charlie Manson, the next it's radon gas, then it's cellphones cause brain cancer and now it's ebola. Thus far it's affected THREE people in a country of over 300 MILLION. Of course government and medical union incompetence ensures that number will rise, but for cripes sake to sound the alarm at this point seems a bit...alarmist!

On the contrary Jonesy. The negligence and indifference pertaining to the original protocols of the U.S. in regards to this deadly contagion has proven ignorance and blatant violation of security are in effect. Our default position of not bringing people with Ebola into the United States has been violated. Why? Why, when countries in Europe like Britain and France have banned flights do we in the US abstain from a ban? If you can get this from being in full Hazmat gear, how much easier it is to contract it in ordinary public. Ebola has no prejudice of race, color, creed, or age. Duncan actually died on Tuesday, not Wednesday. The CDC needed a day to come up with a story and an excuse. Panic wouldn't help any more than ignorance of the disease. All due respect Jonesy, there's plenty of reason for concern. And it's not alarmist to ask why default protocol by the government has been breached.

Look at history Jonesy of what pandemics can do? If no containment is done about a highly contagious disease what do you see from history will happen? I didn't even know a 2nd nurse contracted this from Duncan until I read Anjin san's post. But I'm not surprised.

^^

I for one would feel much safer if they would secure the border and ban flights from West Africa until they get this thing under control.

+1 CBR

http://youtu.be/aFKwQt2KaOU

Why is it Americans (far more than others) always feel compelled to live in fear of a boogie man? One week it's Charlie Manson, the next it's radon gas, then it's cellphones cause brain cancer and now it's ebola. Thus far it's affected THREE people in a country of over 300 MILLION. Of course government and medical union incompetence ensures that number will rise, but for cripes sake to sound the alarm at this point seems a bit...alarmist!

It's part of the national DNA. What role do you think medical unions play in this situation?

On the contrary Jonesy. The negligence and indifference pertaining to the original protocols of the U.S. in regards to this deadly contagion has proven ignorance and blatant violation of security are in effect. Our default position of not bringing people with Ebola into the United States has been violated. Why? Why, when countries in Europe like Britain and France have banned flights do we in the US abstain from a ban? If you can get this from being in full Hazmat gear, how much easier it is to contract it in ordinary public. Ebola has no prejudice of race, color, creed, or age. Duncan actually died on Tuesday, not Wednesday. The CDC needed a day to come up with a story and an excuse. Panic wouldn't help any more than ignorance of the disease. All due respect Jonesy, there's plenty of reason for concern. And it's not alarmist to ask why default protocol by the government has been breached.

Look at history Jonesy of what pandemics can do? If no containment is done about a highly contagious disease what do you see from history will happen? I didn't even know a 2nd nurse contracted this from Duncan until I read Anjin san's post. But I'm not surprised.

+1 CBR

http://youtu.be/aFKwQt2KaOU

Apart from banning incoming flights (which I agree should be done), there is not much more we can do besides follow containment protocol for incoming cases. I think of greater concern are the 600,000+ deaths each year from heart disease and another 500,000+ dead from smoking related illnesses. 1,100,000 million dead in the US alone EACH YEAR from extremely preventable disease and no one lifts a finger, however three people get Ebola and the world is coming to an end. I don't know why but this is what America has become, ignore the elephant in the room while focusing and freaking out over the one solitary ant crawling on the floor.

^^

I for one would feel much safer if they would secure the border and ban flights from West Africa until they get this thing under control.

For once I agree with you. I live in New York City, always the epicenter of any epidemic. I take public transport in extremely crowded conditions. I believe this disease is far more transmissible than HIV/AIDS, because it rapidly causes hemorrhage and diarrhea, unlike HIV with which people are infected typically for a long time before they get really sick and even then they die from opportunistic infections that no one else gets, not the disease itself. I don't have the benefit of wearing "protective gear" on the New York City subway. Our government is ignoring this threat. Someone from W. Africa could feel fine getting on the plane, have a low-grade fever by the time he or she gets off, and two days later be hemorrhaging and vomiting on the New York City subway. It's insane.

Yes, the government policy/procedures and response thus far has been idiotic but I fully expect that from the Obama administration. Those clowns can't manage an ant farm let alone formulate and execute a disease containment strategy. Unfortunately more will die as a result of it, however the death toll at the moment is 3, not 3,000, 30,000 or 300,000. There has to be a sense of proportion applied to this threat.

They're in full ass covering mode as their overriding concern is to come out of this blameless.

Really? I'm not seeing that. I see concern that medical personnel aren't receiving appropriate training and protective gear but I don't consider this "ass covering".

Really? I'm not seeing that. I see concern that medical personnel aren't receiving appropriate training and protective gear but I don't consider this "ass covering".

A 'lawyer' for Ebola czar?

If the shit really hits the fan in the U.S., O's hands are clean in the low info public's eyes, and in the eyes of of some highly intelligent leftist progressive liberals.

Jones' post makes succinct sense to me.

Why, you ask?

I believe most of the panic and hysteria is more a product of distrust in our current administration.

When you can't believe what the government has said on so many different issues, it is easy to jump to the conclusion that you are being lied to about the impact and severity of a highly contagious disease.

And unlike the other issues, sickness and death are highly personal.........

A 'lawyer' for Ebola czar? If the shit really hits the fan in the U.S., O's hands are clean in the low info public's eyes, and in the eyes of of some highly intelligent leftist progressive liberals.

http://youtu.be/BG4nWx-Y9-Y

To more directly address your question, what we were looking for is not an Ebola expert but rather an implementation expert, and thats exactly what Ron Klain is, Earnest told the reporter.

In other words, the federal official heading up the federal response to Ebola knows nothing about the disease.

Earlier today, President Obama appointed Klain, a Democratic Party insider and former Chief of Staff to Vice President Joe Biden, to lead the nations Ebola response.

Klain does not have a medical or a health care background, CBS DC reported.

The appointment brought nearly universal condemnation.

Worst Ebola epidemic in world history and President Obama puts a government bureaucrat with no healthcare experience in charge, Rep. Andy Harris (R-Md.) wrote on Twitter. Is he serious?

Why, you ask?

I believe most of the panic and hysteria is more a product of distrust in our current administration.

When you can't believe what the government has said on so many different issues, it is easy to jump to the conclusion that you are being lied to about the impact and severity of a highly contagious disease.

And unlike the other issues, sickness and death are highly personal.........

President+obola+obama+and+the+cdc+lied+t

Obama Crisis Management:

1.) Its very, very unlikely to be a problem.

2.) Its just the JV team, nothing to worry about.

3.) My advisors depended on inadequate, inaccurate intelligence.

4.) There could be a problem, but the chance if very low it will spread.

5.) We understand the problem now and have protocols in place.

6.) We are carefully monitoring the situation.

7.) I have full confidence in Director _______________.

8.) I am announcing the resignation of _______________ as Dept. Director.

9.) The problem became a crisis due to Republican underfunding the Department.

10.) It was Bushs fault.

Thomas Michael Duncan's fiancee and her family are officially Ebola-free. So are the other people who came into contact with Duncan on his flight to Liberia and up until the time he was admitted to the hospital. Their quarantine orders were lifted yesterday.

Archived