2015 NFL Thread

Walter

^^ Thursday Night, how about an epic upset by the Fins? Maybe not, but it's nice to dream anyway...

:D

Paul,I think that the AFC East is becoming one the best divisions in the league.Jets are much improved and Campbell has lit a fire under the 'Fins(Oklahoma drills work! :) )

Should be a good match-up Thursday,even though I intensely dislike those games.

Paul,I think that the AFC East is becoming one the best divisions in the league.Jets are much improved and Campbell has lit a fire under the 'Fins(Oklahoma drills work! :) )

Should be a good match-up Thursday,even though I intensely dislike those games.

I concur KB. The AFC East is looking beastly. The Patriots probably won't go 16-0 and if they are going to lose, I could see them losing at Miami or at the Jets. I don't think Miami beats them in New England, though it could be a tussle. A far tougher tussle anyone would have thought in the Philbin era.

Regarding the Miami Primates...yeah, Oklahoma drills work. You know what else works? Giving the ball to your stud running back!

The mere fact that Philbin had this guy Miller all along and refused to run the ball shows what a true RETARD Joe Philbin is and any team that rehires Philbin to so much as push a pencil or a broom should immediately cease to exist and be contracted out of the League. For it would prove the ownership is dangerously stupid and unfit to run a sports team.

Some coaches are great at Xs & Os but not so great at relating to players. Some coaches are 'player's coaches' but lacking in game strategy.

Joe Philbin seems to be that rare coach who is lacking in ALL categories...no leadership, no game strategy skills, no charisma, no nothing.

Well...maybe he gives great head in his interviews? That's the only way I can imagine Miami hired him in the first place.

Joe Philbin immediately ascends to the Mount Rushmore of bad NFL coaches...joining the illustrious likes of Marty Morningwheg, Wayne Fontz, and Lane Kiffin.

^^ Heh, Sean you nailed it as far as Joe Schmow goes. As for this coming Thursday, as much as I would like to see the Patriots fall, I have my doubts it will occur in Foxboro--maybe when they come to Miami, or maybe the G-Men will knock off the Pats & put an end to any thoughts about 16-0...

If you are talking about the Houston Texans, sure. But Miami beat the Houston Oilers plenty of times.

Yes, I'm talking about the Texans. Hence the "seven matchups" part. ;)

Besides, the Oilers are not associated with the Texans anyways, as they became the Tennessee Titans. The Oilers' history and records travelled to Nashville with them. 

They're just two teams who happened to play in the same city. Just like the Baltimore Colts and Baltimore Ravens.

Why is it that when players don't complete the plays devised by the offensive and defensive coach, the coach gets fired?

Surely the onus should be on the players, after all they are the ones failing on the field?

Because it's a lot more expensive to get rid of a player, or players. Not to mention quite a bit more complicated.

Players get paid far more than coaches, and general managers aren't eager to lay down a large sum of money on a player(s) who might be crap.

I do agree with you though, it shouldn't always be assumed straightaway that it's the coach's fault. In fact, I think many times it isn't.

But, in the case of Joe Philbin, it looks like he was legitimately shit.

Gostkowski makes it look so easy. Amazing how they never lost a beat when Vinatieri left. And Vinatieri has declined since he left for the Colts.

The Dolphins defense may be for real...but their offense is definitely not. The woeful Fins offense is putting too much wear and tear on the defense...giving the Patriots a short field time and time again.

Miami's lucky it's not 35-0 Patriots at the half.

Same old same old...past behaviour is future predictor.

Obviously Miami is one of those teams that needs to score first and get a lead to have a chance to win. They can't ask Tannehille to throw them back into the game from 20 points behind, and your running game is nullified when you are that far behind.

Looks like the Patriots reign in the AFC East will continue for a spell. The Jets and Dolphins are better and at least will give some semblance of competition, especially in their own home stadiums. But the combination of intelligence and competitive drive that Belechick and Brady bring to the table is too much for other teams to match.

'What about Buffalo?' I hear someone say. Ha! Don't make me laugh. Buffalo never seems to be able to get out of their own way. I sense Sexy Rexy's team implodes in the near-future....just as his tenure with the Jets ended.

Buffalo may yet field a competitive playoff team. But not in this decade.

So, apparently, a game like the SNF matchup between the Broncos and Packers only happens every 24 years, on average.

This Sunday will mark just the fourth time in NFL history that two undefeated teams with at least six wins apiece plays each other. 51 years separated the first two games. That's crazy.

And the last time this happened? In 2007, when none other than Peyton Manning and the Colts played the Patriots.

Also, this is the first primetime matchup of such a game.

There's some other incredible things that make this an amazingly historic game:

1. The Broncos have beaten their opponents by a combined 37 points this season. That's the lowest total since the 1970 AFL-NFL League Merger. Also, the only team since the league merger to win the Super Bowl after starting out 6-0 and winning those first six games by less than 50 points? The 2005/2006 Colts, who, as you will remember, helped give Peyton Manning his lone SB ring.

2. Peyton Manning can tie Brett Favre's all-time wins record by beating the Packers on Sunday. Ironic, eh?

3. Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning are the only two QB's in NFL history to average two touchdowns per game.

4. The Packers have outscored their opponents 66-9 in the first quarter of their games. Meanwhile, the Broncos defense have yet to allow a single point to be scored in the first quarter this season.

5. Peyton Manning last played Aaron Rodgers and the Packers in 2008, Rodgers' first season as a starter. This will be Peyton's first game against them as a Bronco.

6. The Packers and Broncos defenses are ranked first and second in the league in average points allowed per game.

Statistics are fun and it is one way to objectively quantify and identify something as subjective as athletic merit. Endless bar arguments have been predicated on this basis for decades.

But I try to not let 'stats fever' run amok in the way the analytics people have infested ESPN. Just a couple weeks ago, they were making a holy racket about there being a record number of home runs hit in a single day of the playoffs. Never in history blah blah blah...

Well, yeah, that's because until very recently MLB didn't have 4 postseason baseball games scheduled on one day. For most of baseball's history the postseason consisted of one playoff series..,the World Series. Later they added divisions and so you had the LCS and the World Series. Until the new millennium, the most games you would have scheduled on a given day in the playoffs was two.

You schedule four games on a single day...naturally a lot of home runs are going to be hit.

So while I will grant you that the Green Bay @ Denver game is an interesting statistical quirk or anomaly, and certainly is fun for the fans and will have playoff implications down-the-road, I hesitate to annoint it "amazingly historic" before a down has been played.

Edited by Strider

The Dolphins, still not ready for primetime... :rolleyes:

I'm just hoping someone, anyone knocks off the Pats before the season ends--the '72 Dolphins may have to wait awhile before they can pop that champagne. If they even get to pop it open...

:unsure:

Don't despair just yet, PC...the Dolphins and the Jets still get the Patriots in their house later in the season. One never knows what can happen then. Hell, New England could take the Washington game lightly and the Taters could play the game of their...okay, that's not going to happen, haha.

After all, there are some things in life that are beyond the realm of all possibility.

So while I will grant you that the Green Bay @ Denver game is an interesting statistical quirk or anomaly, and certainly is fun for the fans and will have playoff implications down-the-road, I hesitate to annoint it "amazingly historic" before a down has been played.

Strider, mate, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but seriously.

This game was touted as one of the best all season as soon as it was scheduled.

And I don't know about you, but this being only the fourth game in NFL history to be played between two undefeated teams with at least six wins each is pretty historical to me. 

As well as everyone else. All of the sports media are talking about it, and the fans on social media are going crazy. 

Tickets at Sports Authority Field at Mile High are going for over $3,000 on the secondary market.

Besides, this game isn't supposed to be historical purely because of stats and records. You've got the two best defenses in the league, two of the best receiving corps in the league, and two of the greatest QB's of all-time playing each other. And one of them is almost certainly playing the other for the first and last time as a Bronco.

This would probably still be a great game if there was no stat/record significance at all.

Could this game be a dud? Certainly, any game can. But regardless of what you think, this game is already historical, before a down has been played. 

There are two major components to modern sports history (by modern I mean that I'm not referring to the first Olympics in Greece). The actions of the personnel, and the stats they create. That's how it's always been. 

Nice of the NFL to schedule the Lions' England game to correspond with the time change.  I can sleep an extra hour before a pre-game wake n' bake.  The Lions aren't a team to watch straight...no matter the poison.  Enough embarrassments at home...time to spread it to foreign soil.  Fair warning Reggie.  You might want to skip this one.

Nice of the NFL to schedule the Lions' England game to correspond with the time change.  I can sleep an extra hour before a pre-game wake n' bake.  The Lions aren't a team to watch straight...no matter the poison.  Enough embarrassments at home...time to spread it to foreign soil.  Fair warning Reggie.  You might want to skip this one.

I was going to get up at 5am to watch the game but not now, no incentive now Hayne has been "waived" by the 49ers. I know the NFL is a cut-throat business but to tell him on the team bus was a bit ordinary. Is the waiver part of some grand plan plotted by management in that they sign him to a contract and hope he doesn't perform as expected and sign him on to the practice squad to hone his skills?

Why they didn't do that from the get go is baffling as Hayne would've been content to wait another season and really learn the technicalities of the game. Instead they sign and promote him up to the active roster, blood him and then discard him,  when their RB's are thin on the ground and / or playing with injuries and the defence is almost non-existent? WTF? Unlike a lot of Hayne supporters, I knew that he needed to adapt to the game and team respectively and all the over hype about how he was this and gonna do that, put undue pressure on him, particularly the media back home didn't help his cause.

I thought he was going ok considering his lack of touches with the ball and he made some errors but overall he played as well as his limited experience allowed. The cynic in me would have me think they only signed him in the first place so no other franchise would snap him up or even worse (conspiracy theory alert!), they set him up as a scapegoat or as you Yanks say, patsy. The Seahawks like him and the Lions were the other team he had talks with prior to signing him and someone mentioned the Raiders. Now he is a free agent  I think the coaching staff expected too much too soon having also fallen for the hype. I believe that someone else will pick him up, there are 31 other franchises FFS! Who do you think would have him or not and why?

Btw, I am not a fly by night or Johnny come lately into NFL, I have watched the games for 30 years or so and prior to Hayne was a Packers supporter. My dalliance with the 49ers is almost over and ended not the way I'd hoped but, that's life and sport.

Edited by Reggie29