2015 NFL Thread

Walter

Its my understanding that Brady was asked to hand over his own texts to refute others, and he refused. The 4th rounder was predictable, but the 1st rounder ? Someone pissed off the NFL.

Would you hand over your personal phone with all its personal info and contacts to the NFL, trusting them to only stick to the texts and not leak any personal information? I didn't think so.

I would have said no to the NFL too.

Sorry, Electrophile, a team has the right to deflate the balls to the legal limit. There is still no concrete evidence that the balls were below 12.5 at the start of the game.

Its my understanding that Brady was asked to hand over his own texts to refute others, and he refused. The 4th rounder was predictable, but the 1st rounder ? Someone pissed off the NFL.

Yep! I think the fact he wouldn't turn over his text messages was the turning point to suspension. But then again, there will be an appeal process that may just wipe it out or at least reduce it. It's not over yet...

Sorry, Electrophile, a team has the right to deflate the balls to the legal limit. There is still no concrete evidence that the balls were below 12.5 at the start of the game.

That may very well be true. However, as I said, the Patriots have a history of shady behavior. It doesn't surprise me that Brady wasn't given the benefit of the doubt in this at all. At some point you have to take a step back and ask yourself, "If enough people are saying this about my team, when does it stop being jealousy and start being merely an accurate observation?" Brady will appeal, and it'll get knocked down to 1 or 2 games, but the point has been made.

I'm not a football fan, so I don't have a dog in this hunt, my interest in all of this nonsense is purely for entertainment purposes only. SoSH should be a fun read tonight. Hopefully the Red Sox lose too.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12867594/punishments-handed-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-deflategate

The case for Buffalo possibly winning the AFC East just got stronger, methinks. I'm sure Rick must be over the moon right now...

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12867594/punishments-handed-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-deflategate

The case for Buffalo possibly winning the AFC East just got stronger, methinks. I'm sure Rick must be over the moon right now...

:toast::party::elvis2:

4 games - for an offence that carries a $25,000 fine?

Well, I suppose someone has to be the sacrificial lamb. And only because of the media outrage.

Appeal, anyone? :-)

4 games, a million dollar fine, and a 1st and 4th round draft pick. Largest fine levied against a team.. Ray Rice gets 2 games for his "discretion" which was caught on film. Tom Brady gets 4 games for something he "more probable than not" was involved in? You Patriots haters can gloat but the punishment is far too harsh for the "more probable than not" allegation... And everything else Strider spelled out so thoroughly... oh yeah and.... Go Clippers!!!!

I just realized, if the suspension stays, the fourth game is in Dallas. Tom Brady has never played in Dallas. He was injured the last time the Pats played in Dallas.

Saw that on the schedule. The four games he will miss are:

Pittsburgh

at Buffalo

Jacksonville

at Dallas

:lol: a little touchie, aren't we....;)

Me? No. Not really.

By now, I'm numb to the hatred of the Patriots. I no longer could give 2 shits.

I actually agree with you Walter. Tom Brady is getting punished for not cooperating enough.... For not turning in his personal cell phone.. If he sent any texts to McNalley or Jastremski, they would have had them in THEIR phones.

They found nothing from Brady.. "Well if he had nothing to hide, why didn't he turn his phone in??". Maybe he has nude selfies from his supermodel wife in his phone... Nobodies business.. Its his personal phone!

Not touchy.. Strictly business... And this doesn't add up... Read Striders post...

and Go Clippers...Please someone related to Buffalo please win something...

Edited by the chase

Saw that on the schedule. The four games he will miss are:

Pittsburgh

at Buffalo

Jacksonville

at Dallas

Check this out...if Brady's 4-game suspension holds, then Brady's first game back will be at the INDIANAPOLIS COLTS!!! How delicious is that? I hope the Patriots crush them.

In fact, after years of bitterness at the Patriots because of the Tuck-Rule playoff game in 2001, I will actually root for the Patriots to destroy all their opponents this season. I hope Brady torches everyone 55-0.

One thing I am curious about...just as follow-up. Doesn't the punter and kicker get input on air levels ? Do they get to designate certain balls pre-game as the ones used for that purpose ? Certainly a higher pressure ball is going to go farther and have more hang time. Probably easier to on-side kick too. No biggie...just curious.

Brady didn't help himself by claiming he had no input towards air pressure. Quarterbacks from 40 years ago laughed at that statement, and Troy Aikmen called him out on that immediately.

One thing I am curious about...just as follow-up. Doesn't the punter and kicker get input on air levels ? Do they get to designate certain balls pre-game as the ones used for that purpose ? Certainly a higher pressure ball is going to go farther and have more hang time. Probably easier to on-side kick too. No biggie...just curious.

Brady didn't help himself by claiming he had no input towards air pressure. Quarterbacks from 40 years ago laughed at that statement, and Troy Aikmen called him out on that immediately.

Take another hit on the glass pipe Bonger. Are you kidding me? NO they have no say in how the footballs will be blown up. Its all done by the league, its all supposed to be uniform. Do they have baseballs that are different? Hockey pucks that are different? NO.

Of course I am getting a kick out of this and the Bills will not be playing Brady in week two regardless of the appeal. Our front 3 is considered the best and they will tee off on whoever they have out there. I assure you they are already trying to pick up a journeyman. It seems harsh for the crime but the big thing here is why would you take a chance of cheating in a game on such a big stage?

So, who are the backup QB's for the Patriots? I'm looking at the Pats schedule and it's very conceivable they could be 1-3 by the time Brady returns from his suspension....

I highly doubt that whoever is on the roster now as the backup will actually be who they go with. Belecheck has a plan already. He is likely going to get a journeyman. Harsh penalty, does not fit the crime but the bigger point here is they cheated AGAIN. And the league must send a message that this will not be tolerated. In that regard he got off easy. A Rod likely would have gotten a full year if he was pulling a Greg Nettles cork job

For me, it's one point.. Did the Wells report prove that Tom Brady told anyone to alter footballs after they were inspected by officials?

If the answer is yes, he deserves a suspension, no question.

If the answer is no, he doesn't.

Regardless, I don't think the Patriots deserve a million dollar fine for a suspected infraction that is listed at 25000 dollars..

The Wells report and its "more probable than not" conclusion with all due respect, is crap...

Refusing to turn in a cell phone is not an admission of guilt...

Rick, I'm glad to see you feel it's harsh. It is..... Go Clippers....

Edited by the chase

So, who are the backup QB's for the Patriots? I'm looking at the Pats schedule and it's very conceivable they could be 1-3 by the time Brady returns from his suspension....

Jimmy Garoppolo.

Funny how when Brady missed the entire 2008 season they still went 11-7,...

For me, it's one point.. Did the Wells report prove that Tom Brady told anyone to alter footballs after they were inspected by officials?

If the answer is yes, he deserves a suspension, no question.

If the answer is no, he doesn't.

Regardless, I don't think the Patriots deserve a million dollar fine for a suspected infraction that is listed at 25000 dollars..

The Wells report and its "more probable than not" conclusion with all due respect, is crap...

Refusing to turn in a cell phone is not an admission of guilt...

Rick, I'm glad to see you feel it's harsh. It is..... Go Clippers....

Well we are both cheering for the Clippers. I tell you the series between Golden st and Clippers that is going to happen may be epic. Its going to be a war. As for Brady, I would not be shocked to see the arrogant league knock it back to 3 games to basically say to the media "you can't predict what we will do". And if Goodell is in on the appeal committee, forget about it. 4 games will stand. I agree its harsh if you look at it for the incident alone. But they are being punished for the accumulative perception that exists that New Engalnd , "this is not your first offense". That is the mentality they have on this matter. Spygate hurt them on this and lying will always get you hung.

Michael Vick = 2 games

Ray Rice = 2 games

Tom Brady = 4 games

Nice to see the NFL has its priorities in order. :rolleyes:

Michael Vick - crime was not football related.

Ray Rice - crime was not football related.

Tom Brady - was completely tied to the integrity of a game(s).

As far as the NFL goes, I can totally see why they put the hammer down on the Pats/Brady. When you have the history the Pats do and then are uncooperative and have the attitude they did towards the league, it was a slap in the face to the league. It's their league, their rules.

NASCAR has been this way for a long time, so what the NFL is doing doesn't faze me at all. They have to do what is best for their league and this is what they decided to do in the face of what has transpired. It's not a court of law.