2015 NFL Thread

Walter

You gotta wonder what the result would have been if the game had a normal 4pm EST start time. Once Seattle's body clocks adjusted, they stopped Carolina.

I guess my sentimental pick for the NFC is Carson Palmer and the Cardinals over the Camolinas.

Well that outcome was fairly predictable.  Ben has surprising arm strength, to me.  Mrs Walter always says Ben doesn't have much going on upstairs, so injuries are not much of an issue for him, performance wise.  He still didn't have much to rely on as far as weapons.  A lot of heart shown though and Pittsburgh will be a Super Bowl favorite coming out of the AFC next season.

So, next week:  

New England/Denver is the EARLY game.

Arizona/Carolina will be the late.  

Strider, you are correct about the NFL purposely giving to Seahawks to 10 am start two weeks in a row.  Last week for sure.  Anyway.... I'm really pulling for the Cards.  I hope they got their "bad game" out of the way last night.  They can pass against Carolina, but can they pass protect and will David Johnson snap back into form?

54 minutes ago, Walter said:

Well that outcome was fairly predictable.  Ben has surprising arm strength, to me.  Mrs Walter always says Ben doesn't have much going on upstairs, so injuries are not much of an issue for him, performance wise.  He still didn't have much to rely on as far as weapons.  A lot of heart shown though and Pittsburgh will be a Super Bowl favorite coming out of the AFC next season.

So, next week:  

New England/Denver is the EARLY game.

Arizona/Carolina will be the late.  

Strider, you are correct about the NFL purposely giving to Seahawks to 10 am start two weeks in a row.  Last week for sure.  Anyway.... I'm really pulling for the Cards.  I hope they got their "bad game" out of the way last night.  They can pass against Carolina, but can they pass protect and will David Johnson snap back into form?

:hysterical:but true. Mrs. Walter has that funny sight into things as women do. This is around the time I watch American football. I'm cheering the Patriots for purely below the belt reasons. Last year's final was the most dramatic game I've ever seen. It'll be hard to top, but a repeat would be great to see, if only to put to rest the weird 'air out of football' conspiracy theory for winning the game.

So apparently Denver decided to reverse their roles yesterday.

A healthy Peyton Manning performs well, and a shitty, injury-ridden O-line does a solid job.

Almost nullified by the rest of the entire offense, who couldn't catch a ball to save their souls, and the league's most dominant defense, who decided to give out big plays and third-down conversions like candy, against an offense without their star WR and RB.

If you watched the game, you know that every receiving offensive player on the Broncos: WR, TE, RB; was dropping balls all day. Peyton Manning had a great game, despite the wind and regardless of what the stats say.

His passes were on target.

His teammates dropped the ball, literally.

Yes, my Broncos did finally come through with a clutch performance in the 4th, facilitated, as usual, by a forced turnover. But the game should never have been this close in the first place. Denver's very lucky Pitt didn't score more points.

They need to step it up if they have a prayer of playing in Super Bowl 50, let alone winning it.

To me the Arizona vs Carolina game IS the Super Bowl.  The winner will beat the AFC winner.  I like Arizona.  I was not able to see the Seattle game but I see they did rally to make the score look respectable.  I think the Seahawks were a bit burned out from three long seasons.  Arizona has been the best team all year.  One bad game that Carson Palmer survived to win does not throw me off them.  It wont be easy but they can beat the Panthers.  Unless the Panthers are a team of destiny?  Are the Cardinals like the Bills and Vikings?  Just jinxed in the Super Bowl or title games?  

Hey Strider, the Bills play at the Los Angeles Rams next year.  Now I will be cheering for the Rams in every other game.  Have always been a fan, and I did live there when I was 4, in 1961, for a year.  In a different life.  The fearsome foursome of Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen were a common topic back in the sixties.  I was a bit surprised to see that Roman Gabriel never won a playoff game.  But the format back then was very different.  No wild cards.  14 game schedule.  The Rams had some very good teams.  And were upset a couple years when they should have won.  Notably vs the Vikings in that one game that was rain drenched, a rare event in LA.  And the one vs Dallas when Hollywood Henderson ran back a pick for a TD.  The Rams were the better team in both cases.  Lawrence McCutcheon and then later Eric Dickerson who was fabulous and I think still holds some records.  Dickerson was great.  I remember that super bowl the Steelers sucked out on the Rams.  4th down and a mile and Bradshaw hits Stalworth for a TD off a tip by Elmendorf.  The Rams outplayed them big time.  Vince Ferregamo was a replacement at QB and had one hell of a game.   These Rams are getting better.  I would imagine Fisher is likely on his last leg this year.  If they do not take a major step forward he may get the door.

On 1/17/2016 at 1:34 PM, the chase said:

KC took way too much time off of the clock. Huddling with less than 2 minutes left, not getting out of bounds. 

New England looked pretty damn good to me yesterday. Call it luck if you want, every team gets lucky. The officials aren't favoring them and neither is the league. Far from it.  

They usually do not beat themselves with poor play calls or bad clock management.  And when they do, like deferring against The Jets in OT, they never hear the end of it. They still hear about going for it on 4th and 2 against The Colts... years ago..

Gronk is back... and even bigger Julien Edelman is back.  They're going to be tough to beat. But we'll see. 

I say they have no shot vs the NFC team.  If they get past Denver.  I do not like the decision to go back to Peyton Manning.  Its bad.  He is too old and he is not what he was.  Advantage NE at QB big time.  But advantage Denver on defense big time.  Will be a nail biter I am sure.  But I do not think either team is as good as either NFC team this year.  But Carson Palmer if he wins, better not have the Super Bowl jitters like he did last week.  To me Carolina is the mystery in all of this.  They may simply be that good?  Its a very good NFC title game.  Not so much for the AFC.  I know damn well my Bills can beat either of them if they had someone smarter than fat Rex.  But we are stuck with him and will have to hope our talent can get us to the next level next year.  Brady still has this deflate a gate hanging over  him for next year.  I wonder if he loses and has to sit if he will retire?  They were just lucky to win the SB last year.  A bungling stupid call by Carrol saved them.

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan77 said:

They were just lucky to win the SB last year. 

Playoffs (career)

• Most games played - 30[141]
  • Most games started for a quarterback - 30
  • Most games won as starting quarterback - 22
  • Most consecutive wins, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 10
  • Most consecutive wins to start a career, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 10, Tom Brady, New England Patriots, 2001, 2003–2005
  • Most career home wins, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 15, Tom Brady, New England Patriots, 2001–2016
  • Most consecutive home wins, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 8, Tom Brady, New England Patriots, 2001–2007; Jim Kelly, Buffalo Bills 1988, 1990–1991, 1993, 1995
  • Most touchdown passes - 53
  • Most yards gained - 7,345
  • Most passes completed - 683
  • Most passes attempted - 1,085
  • Most division titles for a starting quarterback - 13
  • Most NFL conference championship appearances for a starting quarterback - 10
  • Most NFL conference championship wins for a starting quarterback - 6

Super Bowl (career)

• Most touchdown passes - 13[142]
  • Most yards gained - 1,605
  • Most passes completed - 164
  • Most passes attempted - 247
  • Most passes completed in first half of a single Super Bowl - 20
  • Most passes completed in a single Super Bowl - 37
  • Most Super Bowl appearances - 6 (tied with Mike Lodish)

wow........he is REALLY REALLY lucky 

I could give a rat's ass if Peyton Manning gets a second Super Bowl. I don't have any sentimental feelings about Manning and certainly none for the Broncos.

Pittsburgh vs. New England would have been a far better AFC matchup...the two winningest franchises in the AFC going toe-to-toe. Cincinnati screwed us out of a great game. Fuck you Bungholes! May your bungling continue for a thousand lifetimes.

Rick, I don't get your betting line logic. I can see Denver being underdogs to Carolina, and even New England might be giving points to Carolina in a Super Bowl matchup. But given both Brady's and Manning's playoff experience, if Arizona beats Carolina I don't see Las Vegas making Arizona the favourite over either New England or Denver.

I'm having a tough time with theses championship games--as far as picks go. Carolina looked like supreme world-beaters that first half against Seattle, then went to sleep in the 2nd--can't do that against the Cards this Sunday.

Given my dislike for New England & my sentiments about Peyton, I would love to see Denver put em down, but my head says Brady & Belichick may be too much for Denver....

Buffalo Bills hire first woman coach!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000626344/article/bills-hire-kathryn-smith-first-fulltime-female-coach

Wow! Who would have thought Rex Ryan and the Buffalo Bills would be on the vanguard of gender-equality?!? If I remember correctly, Buffalo is a pretty conservative town. It certainly ain't NYC or San Francisco. Wonder how our resident Bill fan, Rick, is taking this news?

Considering that New England won the last one without a hint of a running game, it's strangely to their advantage to playing in Denver.  It would be tough to pass the ball in 30 inches of snow with 50 mph wind.  Eh...I can't even imagine what it's like to be a true Patriot fan.  I didn't get to watch a quarterback as good as Drew Bledsoe for 40 years....and you sent him on his way and got this.  It's a mind-blower I'm telling ya !!  Most teams wouldn't have got to 6-10 with that very offensive line, but Brady gets rid of the ball so quick it doesn't seem to matter.  Their defense stepped up better than I thought they were capable.  I save any angst towards the Patriots for the Packers.  I witnessed the "Miracle in Motown".  You think I wasn't getting flashbacks last week ?   

^ Agree, Bong Man!  At this point it's like the later part of the 49'ers run with Montana....you have to admire and acknowledged the greatness that is Tom Brady, etc.. He has no business being in the championship game with all of the injuries they have had.   

Yes, I was thinking about you when Rodgers threw that pass last weekend.   Made me sick too!

I so want Arizona to win Sunday, but with this weather coming in and the field conditions what they are going to be, I see a Carolina curb stomp coming - unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

My head says New England and Carolina but my heart wants New England and Arizona.

Wherever KB is, I hope he's able to watch and enjoy his Patriots today.

My heart is totally with Arizona today.  This game I would have to go with rooting for DWare to make it to the big game.  But, I really don't care who wins to be honest.

7-0 Broncos.  They looked very good there, obviously...

Archived