Next official LIVE release - what is possible?

rm2551

OK, the reissues are almost done. So, IF - JP was to revisit the archives for a live release - what is even possible?

Earls Court DVD (Video/Audio)

Anything from '77? (was any of that pro-shot or multi-track recorded?)

Some kind of boxed live collection spanning tours from Jimmy's personal archive that has not made it out yet?

Anything else possible that has only been rumoured till now?

Basically, what's possible, and what's likely - if anything?

Well, both Steve A. Jones on here and Led Zeppelin News on Twitter have both mentioned rumours on the grapevine (where exactly is that precisely???) that Sir James Patrick of Page is giving consideration to putting together an official Earl's Court live album, so there's that. I've already made my case elsewhere on this forum for why I believe an EC live album would be both a thoroughly worthwhile endeavour and indeed the only real possible live release in future so I'll not repeat myself, except to say that it's probably the only substantive thing left in the archives that's worth releasing; all the studio stuff is already out there (or about to be, come the end of this month), and besides Earl's Court, what other multi-track live recording would be worth the time, money, and effort to assemble and ultimately release?

Bear in mind it takes considerable expense to produce these albums, so they're not going to release an obscure (to the wider public) show, they're going to release iconic and legendary performances that have real name recognition and legacy value to separate the punters from their punts... and Earl's Court is just the ticket in that regard, not to mention the sheer historical value of an official live document of those five (glorious) days in May 1975.

Is anything else possible in terms of does pro-shot film and multi-track audio exist for other tours? I know Earls Court is possible (likely maybe).

I was interested in thoughts/information about other tours and whether there even is the film and audio. Some bootleg clips seem to be rough reproductions of what is multi angle film. But I have never heard if JP has quality film still in the can with the audio that could be released.

So does other high quality stuff exist - and its all down to the master's decisions? Or is there nothing of sufficient audi/video quality for commercial consideration?

This topic has been discussed to the point of boredom many times:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/17057-professionally-filmed-led-zeppelin-concerts/?hl=%20pro%20%20shot%20%20film

Basically the Led Zeppelin DVD contains examples of just about every concert that has usable film/video that also has multi-track audio to go with it.
Jimmy Page has stated repeatedly that very little filming was done during Zeps career, and they had to make a call out to fans to add amateur Super-8 film to certain scenes on the DVD.

As far as we know, none of the '80 tour was multi-tracked or filmed.

Knebworth '79 was filmed and multi-tracked.

No tours in 1978.

None of the '77 tour was multi-tracked. Some video exists, mostly feeds from the video screens & amateur ciné film.

No tours in 1976.

Earls Court 1975 was filmed & multi-tracked.

No tours in 1974.

We know that Southampton 1973 was multi-tracked, but not filmed. Apparently the performance was deemed under-par for release by the band.

It's rumoured that some of the Japan 1971 shows were multi-tracked, but not filmed.

The Bath festival was filmed, but the wrong film stock was used and the footage is not usable. There's been lots of conjecture as to whether the show was multi-tracked:
http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/19338-bath-festival-1970-multitracks-lets-discuss/

Nothing before the RAH in 1970 was multi-tracked. Virtually everything on film that still exists from before 1970 appeared on DVD.

I could see Japan 71 happening maybe

If any of it was multi tracked, and there's no firm evidence any of it was. Before any of the post TSRTS live releases were made it was pretty well known that there was RAH, the 2 HTWWW concerts, Southampton, MSG, EC and Knebworth, all of which were confirmed by Page. I can't recall him ever mentioning the Japan gigs, and the first I heard they might have been multi tracked was on these forums.

As I understand it, the Japan '71 shows were absolutely multi-tracked because the record company's Japanese division wanted the band to release a Japan-only live album of those shows, but once Jimmy Page listened back to the tape, he was displeased at how it sounded and promptly wiped it to prevent it being released against the band's wishes... so tough luck Sue, better luck next time, but who loves ya baby :peace:...!?

I could see Japan 71 happening maybe

As I understand it, the Japan '71 shows were absolutely multi-tracked because the record company's Japanese division wanted the band to release a Japan-only live album of those shows, but once Jimmy Page listened back to the tape, he was displeased at how it sounded and promptly wiped it to prevent it being released against the band's wishes... so tough luck Sue, better luck next time, but who loves ya baby :peace:...!?

http://www.led-zep.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=47#p47

Edit: Sorry woz70, I meant to quote you, too. :slapface:

http://www.led-zep.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=47#p47

Edit: Sorry woz70, I meant to quote you, too. :slapface:

No worries.

Interesting link! Never seen any evidence to back the Japan recordings mythos up before.

Considering Page's general attitude to hoarding stuff, I find it hard to believe he would actually have wiped any tapes - more likely they were 'spirited away' or replaced by blank ones. If he thought the recording was crap then, it's very unlikely to see the light of day now - same as Southampton. If there's going to be a final-final swan-song (and I'm dubious) it'll be a heavily sanitised EC, and quite a few years down the line.

Still doesn't fulfill the OP's wish for audio with video though, and I reckon he specifically means '77 stuff. Can't see anyone really wanting multi's/video from '80, other than for gawker value... far from the bands finest moments.

With all the work that has been done on this project I'm surprised that nothing has made its way to the bootleggers. With so much material under review as it were, you'd think we'd have a new soundboard or more and better quality studio out takes.

Hope the last 3 deliver and that there's a live album up Jimmy's sleeve for Christmas!

Am I the only person who thinks they weren't that great at Earls Court?

I've got one of the bootleg dvds & John Bonham is struggling quite badly in places on it, when he was off, I think the whole band was off to an extent.

To be fair to Page, the 6 songs from Earls Court on the 2003 dvd all sound & look great, I suspect he's put a fair bit of work in to make that the case but the reason they haven't released much live stuff recorded after 1973 is because they were never consistently that good again, in my humble opinion.

I'd still love a chronological live album with highlights from throughout their career but I don't see it happening to be honest, it's been vetoed in the past & most likely will be again.

Considering Page's general attitude to hoarding stuff, I find it hard to believe he would actually have wiped any tapes - more likely they were 'spirited away' or replaced by blank ones.

My assertion that Page wiped the tapes comes from Dave Lewis' Led Zeppelin: The Concert Files book, he must have got that info from somewhere and he's a reliable source.

I've got one of the bootleg dvds & John Bonham is struggling quite badly in places on it, when he was off, I think the whole band was off to an extent.

To be fair to Page, the 6 songs from Earls Court on the 2003 dvd all sound & look great, I suspect he's put a fair bit of work in to make that the case but the reason they haven't released much live stuff recorded after 1973 is because they were never consistently that good again, in my humble opinion.

I'd still love a chronological live album with highlights from throughout their career but I don't see it happening to be honest, it's been vetoed in the past & most likely will be again.

I wholeheartedly agree that the band were never as consistently strong again as their 1969-73 heyday (18 months away from the stage definitely robbed them of that momentum), but they still had moments of utter greatness - L.A. Forum 1977 for example - and Earl's Court was definitely a highlight for all in attendance, even Bonzo felt they were the strongest U.K. shows the band had ever played at that point.

If Jimmy is considering an EC live album, he has plenty of leeway for editing in order to compile the best moments from that legendary stint into a fantastic singular whole, but if he decides not to, it won't be a loss... prior to HTWWW there was a definite need for a truly representative Zeppelin live album, but with that album's release in 2003, we got one, problem solved. There isn't a need as such for another LZ live album, but with all five nights of Earl's Court multi-tracked and now digitized in lovely 24/96 clarity, it would be a shame for it to go unreleased...

My assertion that Page wiped the tapes comes from Dave Lewis' Led Zeppelin: The Concert Files book, he must have got that info from somewhere and he's a reliable source.

I only questioned this because wiping a tape is not just as easy as waving a demagnetizer over it, as some people assume. The only way to be sure something has been erased is to record either silence or something else over it, which is a bit time consuming.

Whatever the case, it wasn't deemed good enough at the time so even if it still exists it's doubtful it'll see the light of day.

....whilst the 3 surviving members remain....

Hey Sue! :wave: Strider and I were getting worried about you!

+1 :wave:

Based on what we all know is out there, only EC and Knebworth could be released as an audio/video release. Both I (as many others do) have in many different forms - but an official release would still be a very welcomed surprise to me! What the recent releases show is there still are/were some recordings in Page's possession that we didn't even know existed. So who knows what else he really has in those "vaults"? Even he (Page) found stuff that he didn't know he had.... The speculation is fun though!

Nope, you're not alone.

I wholeheartedly agree that the band were never as consistently strong again as their 1969-73 heyday (18 months away from the stage definitely robbed them of that momentum), but they still had moments of utter greatness - L.A. Forum 1977 for example -

^This.

+1 :wave:

Based on what we all know is out there, only EC and Knebworth could be released as an audio/video release. Both I (as many others do) have in many different forms - but an official release would still be a very welcomed surprise to me! What the recent releases show is there still are/were some recordings in Page's possession that we didn't even know existed. So who knows what else he really has in those "vaults"? Even he (Page) found stuff that he didn't know he had.... The speculation is fun though!

Hey Sue! :wave: Strider and I were getting worried about you!

Yeah, I've been away for a while now due to a lack of working internet.

Archived