Advice needed

alibat

Don't know how it happened, but I ended up married to someone not into Zep :o Now, I love him dearly, but life sure would be better if he shared my passion. He could not understand my excitement over the reunion concert, even though he knows I've loved Zep for 27/28 years but never had chance to see them. Nearly wet his pants when he found out I'd paid £125 for my ticket and it caused some arguements (''but we need a new kitchen''). Kitchen or Zep ticket? Yes, very difficult decision that one! :D

Any suggestions (apart from get a new husband) of the easiest introductions to Zep? I've tried before with limited success with the fourth album. Maybe individual tracks? Perhaps the full versions of No Quarter or Dazed and Confused would not be the best choices at this stage me thinks.

He likes Judie Tzuke, ELO and Dire Straits if it's any help.

Don't know how it happened, but I ended up married to someone not into Zep :o Now, I love him dearly, but life sure would be better if he shared my passion. He could not understand my excitement over the reunion concert, even though he knows I've loved Zep for 27/28 years but never had chance to see them. Nearly wet his pants when he found out I'd paid £125 for my ticket and it caused some arguements (''but we need a new kitchen''). Kitchen or Zep ticket? Yes, very difficult decision that one! :D

Any suggestions (apart from get a new husband) of the easiest introductions to Zep? I've tried before with limited success with the fourth album. Maybe individual tracks? Perhaps the full versions of No Quarter or Dazed and Confused would not be the best choices at this stage me thinks.

I'm not always very good with ideas but I'll try to help :)

I was introduced on their most famous tracks. Rock & Roll I heard in a commercial. My dad said that LOTR was mentioned in a few of their songs. My friend told me to start with Immigrant Song, Black Dog, and Stairway to Heaven. However considering that you said you had limited success with Led Zeppelin IV he'll have heard two of those already.

My dad has the CD box sets from the early 90's so that's how I heard most of their songs the first time. It started off with Whole Lotta Love and I actually didn't care for it the first time I heard it other than the guitar solo. Heartbreaker and Communication Breakdown are two songs I really liked. I'm sure he's already heard STH and Kashmir at some point. Over the Hills and Far Away is a great song.

So I dunno.... I would just suggest you don't throw In My Time of Dying or How Many More Times at him until he's gotten a taste of Zeppelin... it was kinda overwhelming for me. I liked the shorter songs better until I really got into Led Zeppelin.

Geez that's tough, probably the catalyst for a completely screwed up marriage!

I recommend a good shrink to straighten him out....the audacity!

Thanks everyone. I know we find it difficult to understand anyone not liking Zep, but they do exist. I am determined to convert him though. I don't expect him ever to be like me but a bit more understanding of my passion would be nice. After all, he knew what I was like when he met me. He always said he thought I was fairly mild at first until he checked out my record collection and realised I rode a (motor)bike. Still, it didn't put him off. Still together after 11 years!

So, it's an MOR kind of slant we're looking for really. I reckon it would be quite possible to put together a selection of Led Zep tunes which might draw in an MOR fan without frightening them too much.

Perhaps (in no particular order):

Going To California

All My Love

In The Light

Tangerine

Thank You

Bron-Yr-Aur

Down By The Seaside

Ten Years Gone

I'm Gonna Crawl

Your Time Is Gonna Come

Then, if you get away with that, expand into things like Over The Hills And Far Away, What Is And What Should Never Be and Ramble On where The Force really starts coming into play, but with plenty of subtlety. He should be begging for more by this time. If not, get a lawyer.

why not make love to Led Zeppelin?

Maybe. Make up a CD/tape of the stuff suggested above (thanks croquet) and use that? To think the guy I was with for years previously bought me the remasters vinyl box set for Christmas after I'd only been with him 8 months in 1990 and he bore a passing resemblance to Jimmy! Did I go wrong somewhere? No, I do love my man despite him having this major flaw!

I know that a lot of people are really into rock and roll as a genre of music....the classic twelve bar blues arrangement. So I suggest you swing the song Rock and Roll past his ears, and see what he thinks. If not that, try some of the calmer stuff from Led Zep III. Some people conclude that Zeppelin are heavy metal...but they do actually write soft songs. You know your husband better than I do. If these things don't work then I am afraid divorce is your only option. :lol: Joking of course.

Maybe. Make up a CD/tape of the stuff suggested above (thanks croquet) and use that? To think the guy I was with for years previously bought me the remasters vinyl box set for Christmas after I'd only been with him 8 months in 1990 and he bore a passing resemblance to Jimmy! Did I go wrong somewhere? No, I do love my man despite him having this major flaw!

ok then....but leave the Led Zep underwear, that will be over doing it!

you poor thing, i feel your pain, i was in the same predicament. i never got him to convert, and i had to listen when he was not home. needless to say i left him because he couldn't recite the words to down by the seaside. but i think the advice about the softer songs , going to california etc is good.

The Royal Orleans Strategy

Pay for him to have a weekend in New Orleans and set him up with a transvestite hooker

who can make sure they fall asleep with a cigarette in bed. The fire department will get a lot of laughs out of it and imagine the vacation photos.

Well, Robert dated a girl who said it's me or the music. Thank God he left her. Look at how successful you could become. Just kidding, and about that ticket, I"d rather not have a kitchen then miss had to have missed that concert.

These are in the ballpark. It's not like he's into dance or pop or rap. If he likes Mark Knopfler I don't see how he couldn't like Jimmy Page. The bands he likes are blues based kind of folksy kind of pop but definitely mellow. It's surprising that he would like ELO and not get into "In Through the Out Door".

Theres lots of places you can go here. But I think the key is getting to the roots of both folk and blues. Get some collections from the original artists like Woodie Guthrie, Leadbelly Robert Johnson as well as modern recordings of traditional European folk music. From here I think he can better appreciate what Led Zeppelin has done for both genres.

What does he say about Led Zeppelin?

Thanks for the suggestions. In theory, I should be able to do it but he just seems so resistant somehow. I've managed to play him some of the other stuff I like such as selective stuff by the Stones, Hendrix etc without too many problems, but I tried playing him Tangerine earlier today and he disappeared! What is wrong with the man?

Leave it alone. Never mention it again.

...then...after a few weeks...begin to play some Zep very softly as he sleeps.

A new album every night. Very low volume. Make sure that it's so quiet that he never wakes up while it's playing.

:D

Archived