the "BLAST OFF" solo in "IN THE EVENING"

z1inspector

On 12/18/2015 at 11:44 AM, NealR2000 said:

I've often thought that it would have been a great show-opener for them.    That swirling beginning sound would start softly while the house lights were still on, coming from a pre-recorded tape.  The volume would ever so slightly be raised until the house lights went off.  Now quite loud.  Then, a spotlight picks out Plant on stage with his, "In the eeeeeeeeevening"  Then, the stage erupts with those magnesium light-blasts as Page, Jones, and Bonham launch into that famous riff.    

Jason does this with his Zeppelin band with the ITL intro- I remember who perfect I thought it was. 

Edited by The Danelectro

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 1:01 AM, Mithril46 said:

I'm pretty sure that actually I read in one of those English Rock magazines that Jimmy said that "crash" part was a collage

of 3 or 4 tremolo "crashes". Even some metal guy with the best Floyd Rose couldn't pull that off. It's like the noise section

in studio WLL, back then at least you couldn't reproduce it live, impossible. But the YouTube posts definitely have Jimmy

being pretty radical.

WLL = ?  Ummm ?...... "brain fart"

forgive me but I can't recall which song that is ! Please help

I remember Daddy's Junky Music on mass ave in Boston having a then-current Death Wish II era poster of Jimmy Page playing a Roland guitar synth in their guitar amp tryout booth. 10 years later I saw the WH-1 Whammy pedal advertised in  a Jimmy Page issue of Guitar Player magazine. This pedal could bend up or down 1 or 2 octaves with an onboard expression pedal, and it had Roland guitar synth technology. The 2 octave bend setting, starting with the pedal depressed all the way down (and distortion pedal in the chain) is one way to do the blast off. I strongly preffered the original pedal.

1 hour ago, LurksReturnington said:

I remember Daddy's Junky Music on mass ave in Boston having a then-current Death Wish II era poster of Jimmy Page playing a Roland guitar synth in their guitar amp tryout booth. 10 years later I saw the WH-1 Whammy pedal advertised in  a Jimmy Page issue of Guitar Player magazine. This pedal could bend up or down 1 or 2 octaves with an onboard expression pedal, and it had Roland guitar synth technology. The 2 octave bend setting, starting with the pedal depressed all the way down (and distortion pedal in the chain) is one way to do the blast off. I strongly preffered the original pedal.

They also had a Zildjian ad poster with Bonzo's photo. Damn I wish I'd walked in one day and asked em what it would take to get it. Not there anymore. (The poster, that is)

To a lesser extent, Jimmy employs this effect on "Wanna Make Love" from Outrider towards end of song.

Jimmy screwed down the plate on his Strats so the whammy bar could only go down, which is unusual.  Maybe this contributes to his achievement of this effect.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 10:44 AM, bluecongo said:

To a lesser extent, Jimmy employs this effect on "Wanna Make Love" from Outrider towards end of song.

Jimmy screwed down the plate on his Strats so the whammy bar could only go down, which is unusual.  Maybe this contributes to his achievement of this effect.

That's interesting where did you hear that ?

Sombody try that....see if does  make a difference?

Edited by z1inspector
Typo

On 4/23/2020 at 8:19 AM, LurksReturnington said:

That poster is on utube!

I SEEN it TODAY!

The ROLAND guitar is crazy looking. If it produced effects half as good as it LOOKS..... wow! 

So what became of the Roland?...u dont hear anythimg about it... surely a new up to date version could pull off modern effects by this date !

ITS AN AMAZINGLY DIFFERENT LOOKING GUITAR.... 

The MUSIC it LOOKS like it would have produced would take an ALEX (RUSH) or Jimmy  to propagate !!! 

On 12/18/2015 at 12:01 PM, IpMan said:

When I saw P&P in Phoenix Page nailed EVERY solo including the one in ITE. When they played again in 98' Page was, IMO, at the pinnacle of his guitar prowess, even better than his Zeppelin abilities. Just my opinion but Jimmy in 98'- 2001 was just as good if not better than Jeff Beck is today and Beck is currently at his best. 

Hell no. He never had the speed again that he had in Europe 73. He was great in 1998 but no where near his peak in themid-70's. The little notes and riffs between the notes are what was missing in his later days. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrators
16 minutes ago, z1inspector said:

Why is the video Unavailable again? Wonder if webmaster Sam Can get it back for us?

I think the only one we've posted officially is this clip. Other user's uploads might get hit by YouTube copyright algorithm.

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2021 at 2:21 PM, sam_webmaster said:

I think the only one we've posted officially is this clip. Other user's uploads might get hit by YouTube copyright algorithm.

I Apologize Sam, it’s on here still.

I’m a big dummy

One of our members posted it in this very thread.  Icondo123 posted it  near the bottom of page 1.

Thanks sO much for taking the time to look into it for me,  no worries !

“HUSTON ! WE HAVE LOCATED JIMMY PAGES  🎸BLASTOFF 🎸FOOTAGE !!”

WE HAVE RESUMED CONTROL!!

WE HAVE RESUMED CONTROL!!