Jimmy's Gear

ViCELoRD

Hi Everyone, I was very impressed with Pagey's sound from the London show. I watched Kashmir with my buddies and we all really dug how slow Jason played it, a real leadfoot. I noticed that Page had 4 cabinets and 8 heads, which is the way it should be; the amplification should outnumber the cabinets or else the speakers will take over (the world). I could identify the Marshall stuff but the other 3 brands were not as easy to identify. Can anybuddy 'elp?

Love to discuss Zeps gear, so I'm game(so to speak, Komrad)

-ViCELoRD

Couldnt identify them either. Could be total custom jobs for all we know. Couldnt spot a brand logo at all.

Any idea what kind of archtop he was playing on "in my time of dying". It looked a bit like a Gretsch but i dont recall Page ever playing one of those bad boys before. Any ideas.

M

He used a range of stuff.

Amp-wise, a couple of Orange AD heads, a couple of Petersburg JP100 heads and a couple of Marshall SLP 1959 heads.

Guitars...a variety of Les Pauls including the famous '59 no.1, the no.2, the Black Beauty custom with the Bigsby, a couple of others. Also the Les Paul with the multi-tuning selectors. A nice Gibbo ES350 for IMTOD and (of course) the famous EDS1275 double-neck for Stairway.

On the floor he used a Pete Cornish board which included an MXR Phase 90, a Yamaha CH12 chorus, a Whammy, a CryBaby wah, an Echoplex of some sort, all the amp switching and various lead boosts.

There are some nice close-up photos of all this stuff around the boards.

And check out the back of the Marshalls on this Ross Halfin pic....Celebration Day indeed !!

http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/ledzeppelin/le...n-colour37.html

Hi Bluesman, I would kill to see some of those closeups of his gear, especially the pedalboard, please pont the way! Thanks much.

-ViCELoRD

Amp-wise, a couple of Orange AD heads, a couple of Petersburg JP100 heads and a couple of Marshall SLP 1959 heads.

Guitars...a variety of Les Pauls including the famous '59 no.1, the no.2, the Black Beauty custom with the Bigsby, a couple of others. Also the Les Paul with the multi-tuning selectors. A nice Gibbo ES350 for IMTOD and (of course) the famous EDS1275 double-neck for Stairway.

On the floor he used a Pete Cornish board which included an MXR Phase 90, a Yamaha CH12 chorus, a Whammy, a CryBaby wah, an Echoplex of some sort, all the amp switching and various lead boosts.

And check out the back of the Marshalls on this Ross Halfin pic....Celebration Day indeed !!

How f'in cool is the back of his amp?!? ZOSO imprinted on the back...it doesn't get any cooler than that. I'm digging Jimmy pushing 64 and still sportin' the ZOSO. He earned them stripes...

Not only that, but it has KT 66 valves (tubes) in it! Mmm, nice.

RB

I heard that today; that they are building a custom copy.

But am I right in thinking that the original had some very special modifications which allowed Jimmy to achieve a much larger range of tones and sounds than any normal Gibson;

because he used it for his studio work and he worked with so many different musicians?

It had three pick-ups and several unique switches, or something.

This is only what I heard and if I understood it correctly.

Yes, Jimmy had it custom wired much in the way he had his later Les Pauls done. I'm not sure of the specifics, but if you listen to the tracks from the DVD, there's clearly an out-of-phase sound at points. The push-pull knob on his sig model has series and parallel options. I believe a similar mod was done on his Black Beauty as well.

Hi Everyone, I was very impressed with Pagey's sound from the London show. I watched Kashmir with my buddies and we all really dug how slow Jason played it, a real leadfoot. I noticed that Page had 4 cabinets and 8 heads, which is the way it should be; the amplification should outnumber the cabinets or else the speakers will take over (the world). I could identify the Marshall stuff but the other 3 brands were not as easy to identify. Can anybuddy 'elp?

Love to discuss Zeps gear, so I'm game(so to speak, Komrad)

-ViCELoRD

What? That makes zero sense whatsoever.

Maybe in my time of guitar playing, I've never heard that before. Last I checked, without speakers, there is no amplification.

Whenever I plug into a head without a cab, I usually get no sound. How about you?

Hi Bluesman, I would kill to see some of those closeups of his gear, especially the pedalboard, please pont the way! Thanks much.

-ViCELoRD

led-zeppelin-colour37.jpg

:thumbsup:

Yes, Jimmy had it custom wired much in the way he had his later Les Pauls done. I'm not sure of the specifics, but if you listen to the tracks from the DVD, there's clearly an out-of-phase sound at points. The push-pull knob on his sig model has series and parallel options. I believe a similar mod was done on his Black Beauty as well.

I don't believe this is true. Jimmy had original PAF pickups in his guitar untill the 80's. In the 80's He got a seymour duncan pickup. Original PAF's are nickel braded and you can not tap or phase these pickups because they only have 2 conducters. The way Jimmy gets his tone is the settings on the amp and the unbalanced coils on his humbuckers.

But I also think that his number 2 les paul was modified with phasing and coil tapping, so you could be right if he was using the number 2 in the dvd. But out of all the concerts I don't believe I spotted him using the number 2 at any time.

Point is, I think that the number one was modified later on after Led-Zeppelin.

Archived