football

craigled

21 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

England women 2- USA Women 1. :hurrah:

Its your sport .  Congrats I guess.  I did not even know they were playing. No Mia Hamm or Amy Wambach any more so the US women are not the power they once were.  How bout Newcastle fella?  5-1 winner. They have been doing great.  Watch out.

6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Its your sport .  Congrats I guess.  I did nuot even know they were playing. No Mia Hamm or Amy Wambach any more so the US women are not the power they once were.  How bout Newcastle fella?  5-1 winner. They have been doing great.  Watch out.

Yes Newcastle. Keeps your bank balance healthy, I guess?

• 5 weeks later...

I have won some early money on the World Cup.  I had the  draw in Mexico and Poland in a bunch of parlays.  And I avoided the Argentina game knowing how over rated Argentina are.  Another possible upset in the group stage I believe, are S Korea maybe knocking off Uruguay?  Possible. Watching Croatia and Morocco as I type. Bullshit game. Germany on next.  I expect Belgium to dispose of Canada.  England to smash the USA on Friday.  

16 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I have won some early money on the World Cup.  I had the  draw in Mexico and Poland in a bunch of parlays.  And I avoided the Argentina game knowing how over rated Argentina are.  Another possible upset in the group stage I believe, are S Korea maybe knocking off Uruguay?  Possible. Watching Croatia and Morocco as I type. Bullshit game. Germany on next.  I expect Belgium to dispose of Canada.  England to smash the USA on Friday.  

So am I.

Yesterday's Argie game was a classic. Overrated as you say. England look very impressive, contrary to my thoughts a while back. I thought the US didn't look to shabby against the Welsh, who were very fortunate to get a point. 

13 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

So am I.

Yesterday's Argie game was a classic. Overrated as you say. England look very impressive, contrary to my thoughts a while back. I thought the US didn't look to shabby against the Welsh, who were very fortunate to get a point. 

Did you just see that Morocco player act like he got hurt?  Terrible acting. It gives this sport a bad look.  Stop the whining and trying to trick the refs on every damn play.  The US has NO CHANCE vs England. Ill pick my upset, next upset.  S Korea.  Maybe. I am taking Belgium for sure later. Germany should take care of Japan but for reasons unknown Japan is getting some respect in Vegas.  As are Serbia vs Brazil.  Spain likely take care of Costa Rica but Costa Rica are not bad.  Spain I have as a top 3 team in the World.   And to me the best passing team in the sport.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Germany 1 Japan 2 :hysterical::hurrah:

Nearly as satisfying as the Argie result

The Oscars are going to be tough as every player seems to be acting. No surprise to me that they go down easier than Linda Lovelace. Cheating twats. Do they not understand that every angle is covered by a camera?

Spain will be tough, and they play the old sausage eaters next. Auf Wiedersehen :D

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Germany 1 Japan 2 :hysterical::hurrah:

Nearly as satisfying as the Argie result

The Oscars are going to be tough as every player seems to be acting. No surprise to me that they go down easier than Linda Lovelace. Cheating twats. Do they not understand that every angle is covered by a camera?

Spain will be tough, and they play the old sausage eaters next. Auf Wiedersehen :D

Haha, Auf Wiedersehen, indeed!

Maybe it wasn´t the best thing to focus on the "One Love" captain´s armsleeve?

This weak German defense will be in serious trouble facing the Spanish forwards. 

This is one reason why I pretty much only care about the EPL and ignore the American leagues.

Of the five FIFA confederations represented at this World Cup, CONCACAF remains the only one yet to win a match, scoring just one measly total goal in the process:

US 1-1 Wales

Mexico 0-0 Poland

Costa Rica 0-7 Spain

Canada 0-1 Belgium

US 0-0 England

Now, I gotta wait until the World Flopping Cup is over before EPL resumes in December.

Edited by Strider

18 minutes ago, Walter said:

If the U.S. can’t defeat Iran, we don’t belong in the knockout round. How are you feeling after yesterday? 

Fucking shite.

Poor team selection, no direction. To be honest we are used to this negative type of set up. He (Southgate)went out yesterday not to win like he should do but NOT to lose. The reaction here has been disbelief. The worst part of this is that Southgate was happy with the point. To be honest the US set their stall out and were very disciplined. I can't see us losing against Wales, but if he continues with this negative, boring football, then England will be punished. Phil Foden, arguably the best player in the squad is on the bench. In fact, he didn't even play yesterday. Why not? The result against Iran was flattering to be honest.

Worst part of course is that me and Mrs CP were looking forward to it. I made a cracking Curry, had some delightful green, a lovely Rioja, and watched something akin to a Coldplay show.

you said first up that the US did nothing , and then just there that the US set their stall out . watched the game as a neutral . was appalled by the paucity of Englands performance . shocking . on the other hand the US gave it a go . US should have scored . then denied by cross bar . when they had the ball they did try to get forward . they had a sequence of corners . my point , whilst we agree about the standard of Englands play I think you have misrepresented US .

18 minutes ago, john morrison said:

you said first up that the US did nothing , and then just there that the US set their stall out . 

It doesn't need explaining and I wasn't "misrepresenting" the US team.  It was a 0-0 draw. The US just turned up to stifle the England team, which they did very well. They (US) had one shot which hit the woodwork and not much else. At no time during the 300 minutes of dullness (well it seemed like it) did I think the US would actually score.

I said to Mrs CP after 20 minutes that it will be a dull 0-0 draw, and for that I am wholly justified in saying so.

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Fucking shite.

Poor team selection, no direction. To be honest we are used to this negative type of set up. He (Southgate)went out yesterday not to win like he should do but NOT to lose. The reaction here has been disbelief. The worst part of this is that Southgate was happy with the point. To be honest the US set their stall out and were very disciplined. I can't see us losing against Wales, but if he continues with this negative, boring football, then England will be punished. Phil Foden, arguably the best player in the squad is on the bench. In fact, he didn't even play yesterday. Why not? The result against Iran was flattering to be honest.

Worst part of course is that me and Mrs CP were looking forward to it. I made a cracking Curry, had some delightful green, a lovely Rioja, and watched something akin to a Coldplay show.

I feel the USA played for a tie also.  Big time.  And they were lucky to escape.  England is by far the better team.  No question.  As I type Argentina has bounced back and beat Mexico as I figured.  The Netherlands cost me the pricks.  So over rated are the damn Dutch.  I believe one of 3 teams only can win this.  Spain, France and England.  If I had to pick one Id pick Spain I guess.  In 4 years N America, the USA, Canada and Mexico.  I feel that Mexico was really getting better 4 years ago But now they have gone backwards over the last two years or so.  I was not really worried about them though I did want them to do well.  Of course they are not dead yet.  They likely have to blow out Saudi Arabia by 3-4 goals to beat out Poland.  Argentina should take down Poland even though the Poles are not bad. I want to see how Belgium does tomorrow.  Maybe they have to be on that list also?  I think you are too tough on England Chilly

Two more scoreless games almost at the half.  Denmark must win or done.  This is why SOCCER will never be big here.  And I can’t even blame it on the offsides rule this time.

I would propose you can only allow X many defenders in the zone

Edited by LedZeppfan1977