football

craigled

On 5/14/2022 at 11:35 AM, JTM said:

Yesssssssssssssssssssss, well done Liverpool.

10 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

No Comment

I don't like it when it goes to PKs. It's like flipping a coin to decide a match.

But hurrah for the Reds.

On 5/16/2022 at 2:43 AM, chillumpuffer said:

No  Comment

You want to know the team that is making me money?  Newcastle.  Yes.  They are playing well. Took them at fat odds today and the draw option as well.  I like Real Madrid again vs Liverpool on the 28th.  I had them over MC.  

54 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

You want to know the team that is making me money?  Newcastle.  Yes.  They are playing well. Took them at fat odds today and the draw option as well.  I like Real Madrid again vs Liverpool on the 28th.  I had them over MC.  

No Comment. 

9 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo. Well done City

I wonder if Citeh will ever match Man U/Lverpool's league title records (20/19). Or will the money run out first. 

On 5/24/2022 at 10:02 AM, chillumpuffer said:

That's because many Americans think the world starts in California and ends in Maine.

Maybe they do.  Actually starts in NY and ends in CA would be a better description.  But we know you are over there.  I always wanted to see London.  I would if I were not married much sooner. So many choices in Europe.  I believe the world starts in Jerusalem.  Another place on my wish list. Florida and California I have been to, many times Florida.  I have never been to the NW or the mountains like Montana or CO.  Its a big place the US  Now more horrible events all over the news.  19 kids shot in Texas by a maniac the cops gunned down in a school.  Im sure it made the news there?  Oh, its a football thread.  I do not understand the way you guys do things over there.  The season is over now right?  And here they play soccer in the summer time.  Sorry, but its always going to be soccer here.  And its the number 4 sport behind the NFL, NBA, NHL.  

PS  can you  believe the World Cup will be in this Qatar in November!!!!  I mean, right around Thanksgiving here.  Very strange and I dont like it. I wanted it played in June as always. How the hell did they ever get the World Cup there anyway?

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Maybe they do.  Actually starts in NY and ends in CA would be a better description.  But we know you are over there.  I always wanted to see London.  I would if I were not married much sooner. So many choices in Europe.  I believe the world starts in Jerusalem.  Another place on my wish list. Florida and California I have been to, many times Florida.  I have never been to the NW or the mountains like Montana or CO.  Its a big place the US  Now more horrible events all over the news.  19 kids shot in Texas by a maniac the cops gunned down in a school.  Im sure it made the news there?  Oh, its a football thread.  I do not understand the way you guys do things over there.  The season is over now right?  And here they play soccer in the summer time.  Sorry, but its always going to be soccer here.  And its the number 4 sport behind the NFL, NBA, NHL.  

PS  can you  believe the World Cup will be in this Qatar in November!!!!  I mean, right around Thanksgiving here.  Very strange and I dont like it. I wanted it played in June as always. How the hell did they ever get the World Cup there anyway?

@JTM. Going to tag you in on this man.

Let me explain a few of your queries:

It's FOOTBALL. Final, Period. We don't call NFL American soccer do we? No we don't. So please Rick, once and for all, "IT'S FOOTBALL"

What don't you understand about our Football finishing in the Spring? It has been since history (for you) began

It's a winter sport all over Europe (except the Scandi countries where they take a break in Mid Winter). It always has been and will remain so. Just because the US play in the Summer, please don't expect us to. We have better things to do in the summer. Cricket, Golf and getting wrecked in the garden, stuffing our faces with burnt meat, smoking fat joints and drinking cold beer and vintage wines

The World Cup in Qatar. 

I'm sure FIFA would have considered a request from you to change the month of this years world cup to suit you. They would understand that Thanksgiving, a holiday only celebrated in the US I may add,  does get in the way of your plans and you don't like it. Tough one that Rick, but it is what it is.

However, playing the Finals in June would have resulted in a considerable loss of life (though not as many as the slaves who built the Stadia) as the temperatures in The Gulf state can reach 50c. Even before kick off most Europeans would have needed a gallon of water and a wet towel or be carried off to an air con room. Even in November in can get pretty hot. Remember Jack Charlton, Irelands Manager at the time,  in Florida when the US held the World Cup in 1994? He threatened to take his players off when the temperature and humidity became unbearable. The only time the team had experienced heat like that was when the all got locked in a sauna. It's a pain in the arse for us too as kick off in most matches will be whilst we are all asleep

The reason why Qatar got the World Cup in the first place is because they bribed FIFA and it's wanker of a President Sepp Blatter, with pots of money. He fell on his sword because of it and the other members of FIFA suddenly bought large houses and retired with the smug looks of abusers of power. Most if not all, sports journalists couldn't believe it at the time.

Whilst Qatar says it will allow the consumption of beer, don't expect hordes of supporters having a great time, singing and dancing and fighting unless they want to be banged up for years and get arse fucked by the prison guards. 

It will probably go down as the worst WC in living memory - unless of course our FA can bribe all the other teams and let us win.;). I mean Qatar did

On 5/26/2022 at 10:51 AM, chillumpuffer said:

@JTM. Going to tag you in on this man.

Let me explain a few of your queries:

It's FOOTBALL. Final, Period. We don't call NFL American soccer do we? No we don't. So please Rick, once and for all, "IT'S FOOTBALL"

What don't you understand about our Football finishing in the Spring? It has been since history (for you) began

It's a winter sport all over Europe (except the Scandi countries where they take a break in Mid Winter). It always has been and will remain so. Just because the US play in the Summer, please don't expect us to. We have better things to do in the summer. Cricket, Golf and getting wrecked in the garden, stuffing our faces with burnt meat, smoking fat joints and drinking cold beer and vintage wines

The World Cup in Qatar. 

I'm sure FIFA would have considered a request from you to change the month of this years world cup to suit you. They would understand that Thanksgiving, a holiday only celebrated in the US I may add,  does get in the way of your plans and you don't like it. Tough one that Rick, but it is what it is.

However, playing the Finals in June would have resulted in a considerable loss of life (though not as many as the slaves who built the Stadia) as the temperatures in The Gulf state can reach 50c. Even before kick off most Europeans would have needed a gallon of water and a wet towel or be carried off to an air con room. Even in November in can get pretty hot. Remember Jack Charlton, Irelands Manager at the time,  in Florida when the US held the World Cup in 1994? He threatened to take his players off when the temperature and humidity became unbearable. The only time the team had experienced heat like that was when the all got locked in a sauna. It's a pain in the arse for us too as kick off in most matches will be whilst we are all asleep

The reason why Qatar got the World Cup in the first place is because they bribed FIFA and it's wanker of a President Sepp Blatter, with pots of money. He fell on his sword because of it and the other members of FIFA suddenly bought large houses and retired with the smug looks of abusers of power. Most if not all, sports journalists couldn't believe it at the time.

Whilst Qatar says it will allow the consumption of beer, don't expect hordes of supporters having a great time, singing and dancing and fighting unless they want to be banged up for years and get arse fucked by the prison guards. 

It will probably go down as the worst WC in living memory - unless of course our FA can bribe all the other teams and let us win.;). I mean Qatar did

Well you know I always cheer for England.  The US has no business in the World Cup. We call it soccer because if you say football here, nobody thinks of it. They think of the American game which is close to religion here.  Its bigger than baseball now.  Basketball and hockey about tied then.  All 4 are huge.  The MLS is not. My own city of Rochester NY is actually a pretty good soccer (football as you call it), town. The  old Lancers used to play here. Pele played for NY and played us once for the title in a nationally televised game in the 70s.  They built a soccer only stadium downtown and promised us a team in the MLS and then it did not happen.  They  then lost the franchise they did have, a team called the Rhinos.  

So the World Cup in Qatar I think you agree sucks.  And regardless of our Thanksgiving or not, the time sucks.  Right before Xmas!!!  Lets put it into that perspective. And the United States spends alot of money in ads for the World Cup on TV.  I always look forward to it in June.  It fits pretty good in June.  Your league is finished.  We have the endless baseball season going on here. So lets look at the divisions.  What do you think of Englands draw?  I think they are playing the US?  And easy win for you.  And I wont cheer for the US, no way.  There is another good team in there I believe but I cant recall?  Hmm, Ill look it up now.  Its Iran vs England to start.  Then US is in and either one of 3 teams that are not yet decided.  Ukraine, Scotland and Wales,  A pretty even toss up between those 3.  Ill pick Scotland to sneak in.  What say you?  Mexico really looked good a few years back but have really taken a step back for reasons I do not know.Brazil and Swiss should come out. Spain and Germany are in same group.  Its a bit strange the groups. England should win their group easily.  The US or one of those other 3?  Tough call.  Not sure the US can beat Ukraine or Scotland?  Maybe.  The women are a different story.  But they are no longer as dominant.  One of these days we should make some picks for each group?  Be interested to know who you think gets out of each group?  Brazil and the Netherlands got an easy draw. Germany and Spain will get through and will play each other early. Japan and either Costa Rica or New Zealand are the other teams in that group.  I will take Costa Rica over N Zealand.  Argentina has an easy group also with Mexico and Poland in, Saudi Arabia is the other one. I guess its a toss up with Mexico and Poland. Well we can talk about this down the road. November is not great but that is what it is. We would normally be getting ready for it in a few weeks.  My American team, the Buffalo Bills are the favorites to win the Super Bowl and are on a ton of prime time games in including the one during our Turkey dinner. In Detroit.  The WC starts on the 21st so it will be going on maybe even on Thanksgiving. But like you said, its only in America. 

Good to hear you pretty much sledded through the Covid.  I am still taking the precautions.  I do not want it.   I have the vaccinations. Do you venture a guess as to how and where you got it or is it impossible to tell?  Catch you later

PS   I have money on Real Madrid today to take down Liverpool.  Also have the draw option in case.  If Liverpool wins, I lose.  I won on them vs Man City.  If they can beat City they can beat Liverpool

Nobody in the world pass's the ball better than Spain.  I mean the short type pass's and ball control.  Excellent.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

• 2 weeks later...

Hungary vs England 1:0 - What!??? 

The sweetpants of goalkeeper Gabor Kiraly were the only remarkable thing about Hungarian football for decades.

Did England send the drunken Doncaster Rovers instead of a halfway decent national team?

17 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Hungary vs England 1:0 - What!??? 

The sweetpants of goalkeeper Gabor Kiraly were the only remarkable thing about Hungarian football for decades.

Did England send the drunken Doncaster Rovers instead of a halfway decent national team?

We do not  even have a half decent team and it is managed by a dull "no ideas"  man. I never watch England unless I want an early night

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 2:27 AM, chillumpuffer said:

We do not  even have a half decent team and it is managed by a dull "no ideas"  man. I never watch England unless I want an early night

So are they going to settle for this at the World Cup?  After the good run at the last one?  

21 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So are they going to settle for this at the World Cup?  After the good run at the last one?  

Settle for what Rick? The manager?

The good "luck" at the last one was solely down to the team being that dull that the opposition went to sleep and we scored. Southgate is one of the only managers who go out not to lose rather than out to win. Whilst we have the greatest league in the world ( sorry second only to the US Major Soccer League) we don't really have any home grown players who can collectively play together, especially under a seriously poor manager. It's like spending millions on a boat with no rudder.

For what it's worth and worth a flutter if I may add, is England do not qualify from their group, being beaten by Iran, Wales and the US. I do hope so as it will end Southgate's stint at the helm and we can forget all about it and get back to looking forward to the most overhyped and forever dull time of the year - Christmas

@Autumn Moon. England 0 Hungary 4. WHAT AND DOUBLE WHAT !! I didn't know even know it was on :hysterical:

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Settle for what Rick? The manager?

The good "luck" at the last one was solely down to the team being that dull that the opposition went to sleep and we scored. Southgate is one of the only managers who go out not to lose rather than out to win. Whilst we have the greatest league in the world ( sorry second only to the US Major Soccer League) we don't really have any home grown players who can collectively play together, especially under a seriously poor manager. It's like spending millions on a boat with no rudder.

For what it's worth and worth a flutter if I may add, is England do not qualify from their group, being beaten by Iran, Wales and the US. I do hope so as it will end Southgate's stint at the helm and we can forget all about it and get back to looking forward to the most overhyped and forever dull time of the year - Christmas

@Autumn Moon. England 0 Hungary 4. WHAT AND DOUBLE WHAT !! I didn't know even know it was on :hysterical:

You know damn well England will move through that group. The only question is, will the US be able to beat Wales?  I am not so sure.  We suck in this sport.  Suck.  And the MLS sucks.  Any premier league team would beat any MLS team by like 6-0.  Its a joke.  My own town was supposed to get a team. Always been a pretty good soccer town for the US.   And yes, here its soccer and always will be.  Football here they wear helmets and kill each other.  But after building a stadium and flushing  ton of money down the toilet, they broke their promise of an MLS team here in Rochester NY.  I have no interest in the MLS.  I only follow the Premier League on a limited basis.  England will move through

48 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

England will move through

No they wont. Not with that manager and a seriously non confident team. We flatter to deceive. You look at any other world team - especially European teams. They pass the ball, moving forward. We don't. Football is about winning not about passing back and forward.

This is how England play:

Keeper rolls the ball to the right (or) left back. He then squares the ball to defender who then passes the ball back to him. It goes like this for a minute then it goes back to the keeper who starts it all again. Harry Kane then joins in the malaise and then someone gives the ball to the opposite team. We have no midfield and it always looks like they are more in the opposite team than England. We are as dull as any Coldplay record and to be honest Rick, I don't know many people who follow England round here. You're a betting man. You will do far worse than betting on an early England exit.

9 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

England 0 Hungary 4. WHAT AND DOUBLE WHAT !! I didn't know even know it was on :hysterical:

Another magic moment! But seriously, the Nations League is nothing but a joke. The "big" teams couldn´t care less, underdogs like Hungary sniff a chance to qualify via Nations League for World Cup or European Championship.

By the way, Austria 1 France 1- this speaks volumes about the N.L..

I share your doubts, Wales and the US could be tricky as long as Mr. Penalty manages the English team.

22 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

No they wont. Not with that manager and a seriously non confident team. We flatter to deceive. You look at any other world team - especially European teams. They pass the ball, moving forward. We don't. Football is about winning not about passing back and forward.

Keeper rolls the ball to the right (or) left back. He then squares the ball to defender who then passes the ball back to him. It goes like this for a minute then it goes back to the keeper who starts it all again. Harry Kane then joins in the malaise and then someone gives the ball to the opposite team. We have no midfield and it always looks like they are more in the opposite team than England. We are as dull as any Coldplay record and to be honest Rick, I don't know many people who follow England round here. You're a betting man. You will do far worse than betting on an early England exit.

Given the teams they are in with, no way.  Let me tell you a secret.  The US sucks in soccer, oh, sorry, football.  Sucks.  Much worse than England in your opinion.  No real shame in losing  friendly to Hungary who I am sure the game meant much more to?  And they have upset other teams that are big names other than England, and one at the last world cup from memory.  If they continue to play bad, then I might agree, but they are not going home vs the US or Wales or is it Iran?  Not happening.  The 2nd round,? Now you may have a point. Then they will have to play real teams.    I am impressed with Spain the most.  They pass the ball well.  I like them

On 6/23/2022 at 6:23 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Gee that poor English team is beating the daylights out of the Netherlands right now 4-1.  Your way off on your prediction of an early exit.  England will win that group with ease

5-1!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

On 6/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, chillumpuffer said:

Me too. Uninspiring pedestrian football compared to Liverpool and city. Hope you’re good mate 

11 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Gee that poor English team is beating the daylights out of the Netherlands right now 4-1.  Your way off on your prediction of an early exit.  England will win that group with ease

5-1!!!!!!!!!!!!

The big difference is that it is THE WOMENS TEAM   that has beat The Netherlands. Get a grip man. Maybe we should send the Ladies team instead of the shite that are the Men's?

On 6/25/2022 at 3:59 AM, chillumpuffer said:

The big difference is that it is THE WOMENS TEAM   that has beat The Netherlands. Get a grip man. Maybe we should send the Ladies team instead of the shite that are the Men's?

The scoreboard did not say it was women's.  Are you certain of that?  Hell, the American women are good.  The men suck.  England will win that group. Mark my word.