Random Facts

Mona

Janis Joplin, Jim Morrrison, Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Kobain all died at the age of 27. Other famed musicians who died at age 27 include Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones, country singer Hank Williams, and Blues pioneer Robert Johnson.

Drinking 16 ounces of ice water burns 17.5 Calories to warm the water to body temperature.

Janis Joplin, Jim Morrrison, Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Kobain all died at the age of 27. Other famed musicians who died at age 27 include Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones, country singer Hank Williams, and Blues pioneer Robert Johnson.

Why does everyone still forget Duane Allman!?

Drinking 16 ounces of ice water burns 17.5 Calories to warm the water to body temperature.

Hiram "Hank" King Williams (September 17, 1923 – January 1, 1953) 27? :huh:

Anyway...

Here are a few from my Snapple lids that I saved for no apparent reason, (I said I'd throw them away when I've recorded them):

"Real Facts"--I put them in numerical order according to the numbering on the lids. :lol:

#4 Slugs have 4 noses.

#10 Mosquitoes are attracted to people who have recently eaten bananas.

#27 A ball of glass will bounce higher than a ball of rubber.

#36 A duck's quack doesn't echo.

#55 A human brain weighs around 3 pounds.

#65 A one-day weather forcast requires about 10 billion mathematical calculations.

#71 There is a town called Big Ugly, West Virginia.

#108 Licking a stamp burns 10 calories.

#115 Bamboo makes up 99% of a panda's diet.

#187 There are over 61,000 pizzerias in the United States.

#339 There are more doughnut shops in Canada per capita than any other country.

#345 The popcicle was invented in 1905 by an 11-year-old boy.

It also says this on all of the lids:

Get all of the "real facts" at snapple.com

If you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.

On the new hundred dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.

Each of the suits on a deck of cards represents the four major pillars of the economy in the middle ages: heart represented the Church, spades represented the military, clubs represented agriculture, and diamonds represented the merchant class.

American car horns beep in the tone of F.

The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used.

- the human brain is 80% water

- Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.

- No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times

- the pyramids in egypt used to be pure white, covered in a limestone casing. Over the years, the limestone has been either eroded or stolen, leaving the pyramids brown like they are now.

- The Marathon, where runners run 26 miles, is named for an event that occured in Greece in the 5th century, when Greece was at war with Persia. A runner ran from the city of Marathon to Athens - 26 miles away - to warn the Athenians that the Persians were attacking. He died upon delivering the message.

- The universe is 14 billion years old.

- Tea is the healthiest drink in the world, and can help prevent cancer, strengthen tooth enamel, clense and sooth cuts and stop bleeding, help you loose weight, prevent heart attacks and strokes, freshen your breath, help with heartburn and other digestive problems, allieveate stress and anxiety, strengthen your bones, prevent artheritis or soothe pain assosiated with artheritis, improve and support your immune system, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and many other health benefits.

I was just catching up on my NCTE "inbox" emails, and I read that Kayne West's mother, Donda West, was a former assistant chair of the NCTE's college section. :huh:

"Former Assistant Chair of NCTE's College Section, Has Died..." (that was a link to a newsreport).

Strange, eh?

- The Marathon, where runners run 26 miles, is named for an event that occured in Greece in the 5th century, when Greece was at war with Persia. A runner ran from the city of Marathon to Athens - 26 miles away - to warn the Athenians that the Persians were attacking. He died upon delivering the message.

As a former competitor at this distance I know that last 385 yards is a female dawg. I am also aware that marathons were not always this distance.

So here is how that distance got added according to the BAA site.

The Marathon Distance

The 1896 Olympic marathon distance of 24.8 miles was based on the distance run, according to famous Greek legend, in which the Greek foot-soldier Pheidippides was sent from the plains of Marathon to Athens with the news of the astounding victory over a superior Persian army. Exhausted as he approached the leaders of the City of Athens, he staggered and gasped, "Rejoice! We Conquer!" and then collapsed.

The marathon distance was later changed as a result of the 1908 Olympic Games in London. That year, King Edward VII and Queen Alexandria wanted the marathon race to begin at Windsor Castle outside the city so that the Royal family could view the start. The distance between the castle and the Olympic Stadium in London proved to be 26 miles. Organizers added extra yards to the finish around a track, 385 to be exact, so the runners would finish in front of the king and queen's royal box. Every Olympic marathon run since the 1908 Games has been a distance of 26 miles, 385 yards

Every morning during the summer, I swim on the very beach the first shark attack from the infamous June 1916 New Jersey Man-Eater week of hell originated...

more accurately: the scene from Jaws with the man and dog playing fetch is nearly identical to what really happened, except when the dog was attacked, the man rushed into the water to save the pup only to be attacked himself. He bled to death on the reception desk at the Engleside Hotel.

And I still see sharks off that beach from time to time. Little buggers.

Every morning during the summer, I swim on the very beach the first shark attack from the infamous June 1916 New Jersey Man-Eater week of hell originated...

more accurately: the scene from Jaws with the man and dog playing fetch is nearly identical to what really happened, except when the dog was attacked, the man rushed into the water to save the pup only to be attacked himself. He bled to death on the reception desk at the Engleside Hotel.

And I still see sharks off that beach from time to time. Little buggers.

i'm in north jersey which beach you near.

Archived