Why no Unledded remaster?

Of all the releases I'd actually love to hear get remastered, No Quarter/Unledded is one, both the album and video. The sound isn't bad on the original but there's not much instrument separation, and the vocals sit way higher than everything else. Considering the use of the orchestra, this could really be an amazing reissue. I'd love to have a BluRay with some extra footage added, maybe including the "making of".

It wasn’t just expanded in 2004 - it was also remixed, and sounds much better.  Problem is the 2004 version leaves off “Thank You”, but on the plus side it has “The Rain Song”.  I consider the 2004 version far superior to the original.

But I don’t listen to that version anymore - I ripped the 24bit files from the DVD and listen to it on my FLAC player, and it has all the songs, and in hi res, so that’s the way to go really if you know how to do it.

33 minutes ago, JTM said:

Why, what would be the point. If you polish a turd it's still a turd, imho.

At the time was not considered a turd .I remember the excitement leading up to 

the broadcast and the thought that JP AND RP were going to play together again.

its an honest document of that period and the first release from any combination of the surviving members 

for over a decade. It also rehabilitated James P as a guitar player and led to the Clarksdale lp 

Which could do with an overhaul more, frankly, as its good material let down by poor production.

So sorry no turd.

59 minutes ago, andrew r said:

At the time was not considered a turd .I remember the excitement leading up to 

the broadcast and the thought that JP AND RP were going to play together again.

its an honest document of that period and the first release from any combination of the surviving members 

for over a decade. It also rehabilitated James P as a guitar player and led to the Clarksdale lp 

Which could do with an overhaul more, frankly, as its good material let down by poor production.

So sorry no turd.

You are right, it wasn't considered a turd, I fact I really liked it, bought all the CD singles to get the trax not on the album. But I recently put it on  and decided  it wasn't that good, it just sounded wrong. Ya never know one day I may change my mind again.

5 hours ago, JTM said:

Why, what would be the point. If you polish a turd it's still a turd, imho.

Opinion of course, but I think it was the most Zep-ish thing they'd done after the band ended. Yallah was based off a riff Page played during the 77 No Quarters. City Don't Cry was a cool little track. I didn't care much for Wonderful One though. Those remixes of No Quarter and NFBM are some of my favorites. And Plant's voice was extremely strong around this time. The Rain Song and Thank You are some of the best performances ever.

14 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Of all the releases I'd actually love to hear get remastered, No Quarter/Unledded is one, both the album and video. The sound isn't bad on the original but there's not much instrument separation, and the vocals sit way higher than everything else. Considering the use of the orchestra, this could really be an amazing reissue. I'd love to have a BluRay with some extra footage added, maybe including the "making of".

..give it time and there certainly will be 😉

1 hour ago, nemophilist said:

I definitely think Walking in to Clarksdale could use a serious remastering. It's good that it's honest sounding but Page's guitar tracks tend to sound a little too distant. Just my opinion of course

Agreed - but it also needs to be remixed.  Robert Plant’s vocals are way too dry on WiC, if you ask me.  While it’s not the masterpiece everyone hoped for, there are some songs on it I really love, I’d love to see a re-release.

But what we really need from the Page/Plant era is an official live release from the two tours.  I’d settle for a nice compilation from the ‘96 Japan shows.

10 hours ago, slp9b said:

Agreed - but it also needs to be remixed.  Robert Plant’s vocals are way too dry on WiC, if you ask me.  While it’s not the masterpiece everyone hoped for, there are some songs on it I really love, I’d love to see a re-release.

But what we really need from the Page/Plant era is an official live release from the two tours.  I’d settle for a nice compilation from the ‘96 Japan shows.

Well it will be completely dependent  on  Jimmy being interested enough 

and RP  allowing it to happen .Frankly considering the current state of play in the Zeppelin camp 

i would not hold my breath in expectation. The P&P project has been  consigned to the history bin 

as far as RP is concerned, along with anything not solo orientated. A pity as there is a good album

under Steve Albini's  over Pixied production. (another plant choice the man has cloth ears production wise)

15 hours ago, slp9b said:

I definitely agree that it needs a remix as well. Ideally I'd of course prefer Zeppelin live releases and releases of unheard material by Jimmy Page, but I'd be happy if they reworked WIC as there is good material on there. I'd also be happy if they released a live show from Page and Plant as well. Personally I'd prefer a show from 1998 but whatever they'd release would be welcomed by me

On 1/17/2019 at 1:05 PM, slp9b said:

It wasn’t just expanded in 2004 - it was also remixed, and sounds much better.  Problem is the 2004 version leaves off “Thank You”, but on the plus side it has “The Rain Song”.  I consider the 2004 version far superior to the original.

But I don’t listen to that version anymore - I ripped the 24bit files from the DVD and listen to it on my FLAC player, and it has all the songs, and in hi res, so that’s the way to go really if you know how to do it.

I only have the original. Didn’t realise there was a second release with the Rain Song. Thanks for the info - I’ll have to check it out. Acoustic version I presume? The acoustic version from the Japan (95/96?) tour is brilliant 

2 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

I only have the original. Didn’t realise there was a second release with the Rain Song. Thanks for the info - I’ll have to check it out. Acoustic version I presume? The acoustic version from the Japan (95/96?) tour is brilliant 

https://www.amazon.com/No-Quarter-Jimmy-Robert-Unledded/dp/B0002VKZKM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2T635X67SV2D7&keywords=page+plant+no+quarter&qid=1547869394&sprefix=Page+plant+%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-1

The red cover is how you tell it’s the 2004 expanded version.  And yes, “The Rain Song” is acoustic, and sounds fantastic.

23 minutes ago, kirchzep27 said:

I wonder what the whole slate quarry set was....i would like to hear the rest of those songs, on the video they looked to be having so much fun. To me, the "unledded" vibe was best represented there.

The quarry and the forest for No Quarter. Would've been an awesome idea to do a different setting for each song.

• 2 years later...