2019 Major League Baseball Thread

Walter

This seems like the best time to start the new thread for the upcoming season, by celebrating the first player in the history of the game to receive 100% of the Hall of Fame votes. Mariano Rivera. 5 times a World Champion, last MLB player to wear #42, and now a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

856823F5-E093-492E-A253-650D4E969C33.jpeg

4 hours ago, Walter said:

Oh yeah, and only 19 days until pitchers and catchers report to spring training (Feb 12)!

Has that 19 days passed yet??  Not that I'm anxious or anything...  

And yeah, I know he was a Damn Yankee, but yay Mariano!!  Well deserved.  And now, hopefully, we can get past that stupid "no one should get all the votes" bullshit. 

17 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Reminds me to check the MLB headlines--congrats to Mo, although more people should get 100% of the vote; if it hasn't been said before...

:smileyquote:

I couldn’t believe he was the only one ever. The only true “old timer” on the list was Ty Cobb at 98%.  Crazy that the greats...Gehrig, Williams, DiMaggio, Aaron, Mays, Ruth, Young, etc didn’t have 100% support to be voted in. 

• 1 month later...

Hustling's not my cup of tea.

That is why Manny Machado is now a Padre and not a Yankee or Dodger. San Diego will be rueing this deal like Seattle did Robinson Cano and the Angels do with Pujols.

But now Philadelphia has trumped San Diego with their Bryce Harper deal. 13 years $330 million.

It's not the money (which on a per annum basis is less than freaking Otto Porter) but the length. 13 years? Every metric shows that 10 years and longer deals never pan out.

Scott Boras wanted Bryce Harper to be the $400 million man but without the Yankees and Dodgers bidding each other up, it looks like $300 million was the ceiling. Three extra years got Harper $30 extra million so he could say he got more than Machado but the real optics on this free agency season is that Machado and Harper (and their agents) over-estimated their worth and how many teams really wanted them.

The Dodgers and Yankees probably said they could afford to pass on Harper because Mike Trout will be available soon.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:48 PM, Strider said:

That is why Manny Machado is now a Padre and not a Yankee or Dodger. San Diego will be rueing this deal like Seattle did Robinson Cano and the Angels do with Pujols.

But now Philadelphia has trumped San Diego with their Bryce Harper deal. 13 years $330 million.

It's not the money (which on a per annum basis is less than freaking Otto Porter) but the length. 13 years? Every metric shows that 10 years and longer deals never pan out.

Scott Boras wanted Bryce Harper to be the $400 million man but without the Yankees and Dodgers bidding each other up, it looks like $300 million was the ceiling. Three extra years got Harper $30 extra million so he could say he got more than Machado but the real optics on this free agency season is that Machado and Harper (and their agents) over-estimated their worth and how many teams really wanted them.

The Dodgers and Yankees probably said they could afford to pass on Harper because Mike Trout will be available soon.

Money Ball.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 7:48 PM, Strider said:

What good is a sport that is ruled by the almighty buck?  Back in the 70's when they made these stinking free agency rules, they ruined major sports.  The Orioles create Machado to see him bought out.  Fuck that. Fuck Baseball.  Fuck Harper. 

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

What good is a sport that is ruled by the almighty buck?  Back in the 70's when they made these stinking free agency rules, they ruined major sports.  The Orioles create Machado to see him bought out.  Fuck that. Fuck Baseball.  Fuck Harper. 

I'd love my team to be ruled by the Almighty Buck!  (I miss Buck... )

And really Rick, you want to the players to be under the control of the teams forever with no bargaining rights?  No.  Just no.  The players aren't property to be owned. 

7 hours ago, ebk said:

I'd love my team to be ruled by the Almighty Buck!  (I miss Buck... )

And really Rick, you want to the players to be under the control of the teams forever with no bargaining rights?  No.  Just no.  The players aren't property to be owned. 

So you are fine with our team being small market door Matt’s forever 

29 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So you are fine with our team being small market door Matt’s forever 

Keeping players under the owners' thumbs doesn't mean our team will be a doormat.  We just need a better owner. 

And yeah, realistically speaking, we're a small market.  But we've been good recently.  No reason we can't be good again soon...ish... 

2 hours ago, ebk said:

Keeping players under the owners' thumbs doesn't mean our team will be a doormat.  We just need a better owner. 

And yeah, realistically speaking, we're a small market.  But we've been good recently.  No reason we can't be good again soon...ish... 

Going to Yankees/Braves on Monday at Disney. 3 rows off first base. Should be a good time. Wish you were here!

5 minutes ago, Walter said:

Going to Yankees/Braves on Monday at Disney. 3 rows off first base. Should be a good time. Wish you were here!

It didn't work out this year.  Honestly, I was just too lazy to put a trip together... :D

Enjoy the game Monday!! 

12 hours ago, Walter said:

Always. I’ve some crazy crowd injuries at spring training games. Parks are so much smaller. 

I was at an A's game during batting practice in left field and people were waiting for any foul balls. One kid wasn't paying attention and the damned ball hit him right in the nose. Never forget the sound. Poor kid dropped to the ground and the blood started to flow. The batter heard about it and gave him a signed ball.

On 3/17/2019 at 2:55 AM, redrum said:

Heads up for those line drives.

In the first inning a line drive came screaming by us, hit by Judge, to the point we could hear the hiss of the ball coming by....and a kid 9 seats down snared it in his glove! Got a huge round of applause. 

4 hours ago, Walter said:

In the first inning a line drive came screaming by us, hit by Judge, to the point we could hear the hiss of the ball coming by....and a kid 9 seats down snared it in his glove! Got a huge round of applause. 

Sign him up. :)

On 3/16/2019 at 7:16 PM, ebk said:

I wish I could believe that.  I do not.  With this bastard of an owner and I do not even know the name of the new manager or where he came from?  They had a good team.  HAD.   Blew the team up over night. Could have made a few more moves to put them over the top but instead blew them to hell. Goodbye to Machado.  The best guy we have had in ages. Markakis was the kind of guy we needed to keep. That was the beginning of the end.  And then losing Matt Wieters, whose jersey I might as well burn, was another stupid move. Fucked is what we are. I have no idea who half these pitchers are.  I know one thing, Britton is wearing the fucking pinstripes.  That is pathetic