"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" Anyone else looking forward to this film?

kipper

1 minute ago, redrum said:

That was my favorite place to go in California. I've been by Mono Lake but never went there. Bodie was also a favorite place. We camped on the other side of Bodie on the open range. So beautiful and wide open and you can see Mono Lake from up on the hill. I'd sure love to get back that way sometime and also go back to Death Valley. I've never seen Zabriskie Point either. I did know that High Plains Drifter was filmed at Mono Lake and I recently saw Nevada Smith again.

S.F. is probably a small version of the L.A. rats nest. I seriously doubt if I would ever go back to S.F., and it's my hometown. 

Mono Lake area really is spectacular. It remains so undeveloped, makes you think of how California was 100 years ago. Did you ever read Mark Twain's "Roughing It". Lots of stuff about the area there and then Virginia City Nevada.

Los Angeles and SF need to clean the streets up. At this point NYC in the worst areas is cleaner than LA's skid row, or the Castro district in SF.  Such a shame.

With all this 50th anniversary malarkey, here's hoping Paul Watkins' book will finally be reprinted.
I've got the free versions of the chapters from that Murders of August '69 website, but have never even seen an actual copy of the book itself - and I've been looking since 1982! 

Edited by Brigante

11 hours ago, Strider said:

I talked to a guy at the Arclight and he said "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" will be in the Dome for at least a couple weeks, maybe three. So it will still be there in August. They don't want a rerun of the fiasco with "Hateful 8".

Make sure you hit the Lone Pine Film History Museum. Lots of cool stuff there...tons of westerns and "Tremors" and, yes, "Django Unchained", were filmed in the Alabama Hills environs.

Yes, I remember the Real Don Steele Show and watched it on occasion.

Read this book...

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/scott-eyman/the-speed-of-sound/

Awesome thank you for the reference!

12 hours ago, kipper said:

Mono Lake area really is spectacular. It remains so undeveloped, makes you think of how California was 100 years ago. Did you ever read Mark Twain's "Roughing It". Lots of stuff about the area there and then Virginia City Nevada.

Los Angeles and SF need to clean the streets up. At this point NYC in the worst areas is cleaner than LA's skid row, or the Castro district in SF.  Such a shame.

Thanks. I've heard of the book but never read it. Have to order it from the library or get a copy online. I've been to the gate at Manzanar but never went into the area.

Personally, I'm fed up with hearing about the homeless this and the homeless that as politicians continue to throw millions into the bottomless pit.

Big city turn me loose and set me free.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:42 PM, redrum said:

Thanks. I've heard of the book but never read it. Have to order it from the library or get a copy online. I've been to the gate at Manzanar but never went into the area.

Personally, I'm fed up with hearing about the homeless this and the homeless that as politicians continue to throw millions into the bottomless pit.

Big city turn me loose and set me free.

I get most of my books on ebay now. I find used HARDCOVER books for really reasonable prices--- sometimes just a few bucks and with free shipping.

"Homeless" is a bad term to use for drug addicts and crazy people. Until we start addressing the problem and stop encouraging people to just camp out on the streets in our California cities, it will only get worse. Funny how there aren't the same problems in Bismark North Dakotoa.

LA, Portland, Seattle, and SF need to "call in the scoops".

soylent-green-riot-truck.jpg?w=1000

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

My mind could be changed but at the moment I have no desire to see this film. The plot seems weak and we've already had a Tarantino film with Brad Pitt. This stinks like a cash grab to me.

We've had 4 with S.L. Jackson, 4 with Michael Madsen, 3 with Uma Thurman, 3 with Harvey Keitel, 3 with Tim Roth, 2 with Christoph Waltz, 2 with Kurt Russell, and this is the 2nd with Leo DiCaprio...  Brad Pitt automatically signals cash grab? There has always been a lot more to QT movies than just who the lead is. Tarantino has earned the benefit of the doubt. 

17 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

My mind could be changed but at the moment I have no desire to see this film. The plot seems weak and we've already had a Tarantino film with Brad Pitt. This stinks like a cash grab to me.

Which suggests you don't know the meaning of "cash grab". The endless Avengers or Fast & Furious sequels or farewell tours by the likes of Kiss and others...that's a cash grab. QT takes his time making movies...this is only his ninth in 27 years. That is not the modus operandi of someone looking for a quick buck.

So what if Brad Pitt has been in a QT movie before? Did you refuse to see "GoodFellas" or "Taxi Driver" because Scorsese had already used De Niro in "Mean Streets"? That's comical, Steve. But I'll tell Quentin not to expect your money.

8 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

We've had 4 with S.L. Jackson, 4 with Michael Madsen, 3 with Uma Thurman, 3 with Harvey Keitel, 3 with Tim Roth, 2 with Christoph Waltz, 2 with Kurt Russell, and this is the 2nd with Leo DiCaprio...  Brad Pitt automatically signals cash grab? There has always been a lot more to QT movies than just who the lead is. Tarantino has earned the benefit of the doubt. 

Well said. +1

Getting the red carpet ready for tonight's premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Exactly a year after QT and his crew started filming on Hollywood Blvd. last summer.

20190722_094503.thumb.jpg.76cb4954846de148ac387591c8c9cb0c.jpg20190722_094540.thumb.jpg.3e16167ebc480f13dca5f4e38f27618d.jpg20190722_094855.thumb.jpg.b6e5af143db16e5e5c78da1263837186.jpg20190722_094624.thumb.jpg.3e4a160079e42dfcc3e5cdb81239113a.jpg20190722_094656.thumb.jpg.05321c7090a0b74f2b0f55efa281becf.jpg

Edited by Strider

On 7/21/2019 at 4:00 PM, SteveAJones said:

QT undoubtedly makes a lot of money from his films, but I would suggest he earns every penny because they always sell, and usually sell big. This will be QT's 9th film; he previously has said he would only make 10 films... or stop when he turns age 60... whichever comes first.  He has recently said that this may end up being his last film; he isn't sure what is left to do. So no, I wouldn't put him into the "cash grab" category per se.  When I think of "cash grabbers" I think of Spielberg (Indiana Jones series), George Lucas (StarWars), and let's not forget Francis Coppolla and the really terrible Godfather part III.

I don't agree with everything Tarrantino has done. I really didn't love Inglorious Bastards or the Kill Bill films... just not my thing. But Jackie Brown is one of the best Hollywood films in the last 30 years, and appreciated the art of FILM QT did in Django and Hateful 8.  Film has gone away as an art form, everything now is done digitally--- it just isn't the same and never will be the same again.

Today about 80% of Hollywood films are made for what people in China like to watch. Transformers, CGI, big explosions every 3 minutes, but very little interesting dialog or plot development. HOLLYWOOD is doing the "cash grab" when they do films that are safe for the bottom line and pandering to what the Chinese public like to consume just because they will spend the money is NOT art. It's like going to McDonalds when you could go to A class steakhouse.

I also appreciate QT for doing the films he wants to do. 100% control of what he does. In that alone he could be compared to Led Zeppelin; doing what they want, not what the are told to do by the record label.  And QT's feud with that asshole Spike Lee is worth the price of admission for me. Lee accuses Tarantino of being a racist, and Tarantino IGNORES all of that crap and doesn't apologize for what he makes.  

Steve, you don't have to like QT's politics to appreciate his art. I am able to compartmentalize that. I'm just happy there is still a director out there who appreciates the history of film and is not a slave to the Hollywood media moguls.

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Getting the red carpet ready for tonight's premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Exactly a year after QT and his crew started filming on Hollywood Blvd. last summer.

20190722_094503.thumb.jpg.76cb4954846de148ac387591c8c9cb0c.jpg20190722_094540.thumb.jpg.3e16167ebc480f13dca5f4e38f27618d.jpg20190722_094855.thumb.jpg.b6e5af143db16e5e5c78da1263837186.jpg20190722_094624.thumb.jpg.3e4a160079e42dfcc3e5cdb81239113a.jpg20190722_094656.thumb.jpg.05321c7090a0b74f2b0f55efa281becf.jpg

Great photos! Thanks for posting those Strider!

I had read that the film was originally set to open on the 50th anniversary of Sharon Tate's murder. But after Sharon's sister complaining, and a personal phone conversation with Tarantino, a decision was made to change the date.

Did you read that too Strider?

15 hours ago, kipper said:

Great photos! Thanks for posting those Strider!

I had read that the film was originally set to open on the 50th anniversary of Sharon Tate's murder. But after Sharon's sister complaining, and a personal phone conversation with Tarantino, a decision was made to change the date.

Did you read that too Strider?

Yes, I did. Also, ignore the rantings of Emmanuelle Seigner. Quentin had a friend of Roman Polanski's read the script and Roman has no problem with the movie.

18 hours ago, kipper said:

QT undoubtedly makes a lot of money from his films, but I would suggest he earns every penny because they always sell, and usually sell big. This will be QT's 9th film; he previously has said he would only make 10 films... or stop when he turns age 60... whichever comes first.  He has recently said that this may end up being his last film; he isn't sure what is left to do. So no, I wouldn't put him into the "cash grab" category per se.  When I think of "cash grabbers" I think of Spielberg (Indiana Jones series), George Lucas (StarWars), and let's not forget Francis Coppolla and the really terrible Godfather part III.

I don't agree with everything Tarrantino has done. I really didn't love Inglorious Bastards or the Kill Bill films... just not my thing. But Jackie Brown is one of the best Hollywood films in the last 30 years, and appreciated the art of FILM QT did in Django and Hateful 8.  Film has gone away as an art form, everything now is done digitally--- it just isn't the same and never will be the same again.

Today about 80% of Hollywood films are made for what people in China like to watch. Transformers, CGI, big explosions every 3 minutes, but very little interesting dialog or plot development. HOLLYWOOD is doing the "cash grab" when they do films that are safe for the bottom line and pandering to what the Chinese public like to consume just because they will spend the money is NOT art. It's like going to McDonalds when you could go to A class steakhouse.

I also appreciate QT for doing the films he wants to do. 100% control of what he does. In that alone he could be compared to Led Zeppelin; doing what they want, not what the are told to do by the record label.  And QT's feud with that asshole Spike Lee is worth the price of admission for me. Lee accuses Tarantino of being a racist, and Tarantino IGNORES all of that crap and doesn't apologize for what he makes.  

Steve, you don't have to like QT's politics to appreciate his art. I am able to compartmentalize that. I'm just happy there is still a director out there who appreciates the history of film and is not a slave to the Hollywood media moguls.

It's funny how we all view Tarantino. I think 'Basterds' is his best film and 'The Hateful 8' to me, was just one long drawn out gabfest.

Spike Lee can kiss my French royal ass.

They have created actual film posters for the movies that form the filmography of Leo's character 'Rick Dalton'. These are two of my favourites...if you know your Spaghetti Western history you will know where QT got the inspiration for these film titles.

Once-Upon-a-Time-in-Hollywood-Kill-Me-Now-Ringo-Said-the-Gringo-600x938.thumb.jpg.260fd11b9b5c96efc8170ebc9a9bc3a5.jpgOnce-Upon-a-Time-in-Hollywood-movie-posters-1-600x911.thumb.jpg.f0f7f171e4d2191b3b61d6cc6b7f5f58.jpg

Saw the flick earlier tonight. Just spent a couple hours discussing it with friends. Obviously I won't give away spoilers. It was entertaining enough...a lot more fun than "Hateful 8". But I am on the fence about the ending. I didn't expect QT to go there.

The plusses are the easy chemistry between Brad and Leo (you can see why every actor wanted Brad´s role), the scene between Brad and Bruce Lee, Leo and the little girl, the 93 KHJ radio soundbites and soundtrack, and the choice locations (which , anachronisms aside, will only have meaning to those who grew up here). It's worth it to stay through the end credits for two great bits.

Charlie Manson only shows up in one scene. Tim Roth had his scene cut. I will see it again this weekend.

For foot fetishists there are two good foot scenes...one of Margot Robbie's feet and another of Margaret Qualley's.

This was my favourite music cue in the movie...love this version of "Summertime".

One other thought...how you feel about this movie may depend on how you feel about hippies.

If you think hippies were the ultimate manifestation of humanity, then you probably won't care for "Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood". If you think hippies were dirty freeloaders and want to see them punched in the face, then you've come to the right place.