2020 MLB Thread

Walter

On 2/24/2020 at 8:56 PM, Walter said:

And infiltrating football...

I was looking at the schedule.  Can you imagine Houston playing at Yankee stadium and the reception they will get?  I mean talk about a circus.  But they do not go there until freaking September and during NFL season.  They sucked out  But they have to play at the Mets early in the season in inter league.  I am sure many Yankee fans will be there to "greet" them.  I think the title should be stripped.  As for the Red Sox?  Not sure how guilty they are.  And can you believe Betts is a Dodger?  Talk about no loyalty in sports.  The Dodgers got screwed perhaps more than anyone. Took them 7 games and they knew every pitch Kershaw was going to toss.  Imagine

On 3/1/2020 at 1:14 PM, paul carruthers said:

God help me, I'm watching a spring training game between the Mets and Nationals....  :rolleyes:

Can you believe Houston batters were beaned 7 times in first 3 games?  LOL.  What a fucking Circus we are in for.  I mean, never in sports has anything like this been seen.  The 19 Black Sox never took the field again.  These guys getting immunity was a HUGE MISTAKE.  Now you have the Circus in town every time its Houston.  They sucked out with the schedule maker as they do not have to visit Yankee stadium until September.  What a joke.  But the series at the Mets is early in the season and you can bet many Mets fans will be wearing pinstripes and throwing tomatoes.  Every time Altuve comes to the plate the boos will be louder than any you have heard.

The Dodgers should be a wrecking machine.  Go Dodgers!!!

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Well, it was already funny when the Mets fan were banging on the trash can, but I think this shit will finally stop when a "real brawl" breaks out, maybe by then my boy Rob Manfred will do something like threaten to suspend someone if they don't cut out the bullshit. By the time March 26 finally comes around, the Astros will be so old news, that hopefully I'll just fall asleep & award them a new way to celebrate cheating...

On 3/5/2020 at 11:54 AM, paul carruthers said:

Well, it was already funny when the Mets fan were banging on the trash can, but I think this shit will finally stop when a "real brawl" breaks out, maybe by then my boy Rob Manfred will do something like threaten to suspend someone if they don't cut out the bullshit. By the time March 26 finally comes around, the Astros will be so old news, that hopefully I'll just fall asleep & award them a new way to celebrate cheating...

I think the news is going to be very ripe. The regular season will bring with it more scrutiny of their cheating.  So are we the only ones that have put in the contest so far?  I know there is time.  Lets hope more come on.

• 4 weeks later...

With the baseball season (and other sports) on hold we have been watching old classics. YouTube has a cornucopia of classic baseball games in their entirety. Some even have the old commercials included...it's fun to see all the old Miller Lite "tastes great-less filling" commercials. 

We have been primarily watching classics that the young ones missed the first time around. Like the 1979 World Series between Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Wish the Pirates would bring back those cool caps.

ABC had the WS this year and Keith Jackson, Howard Cosell, and Don Drysdale are on the call. Al Michaels called games 3, 4, and 5, instead of Keith Jackson.

Edited by Strider

After 1979, we moved to the 1980 WS between Philadelphia and Kansas City. A lot of interesting notes about this championship series. First where both teams were led by rookie managers...Dallas Green for Philly and Jim Frey for Kansas City. First series where every game was played on artificial turf.

What a soap opera the Phillies were that year. But they had some players...Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, Larry Bowa, Bob Boone, Gary Maddox, and the irrepressible Tug McGraw.

Here is Game 6 with Steve Carlton taking the mound for the Phillies. NBC had the WS this year with Joe Garagiola, Tony Kubek, and Tom Seaver in the booth. This game still stands as the most-watched game in World Series history, with almost 55 million viewers.

Edited by Strider

47 minutes ago, Strider said:

With the baseball season (and other sports) on hold we have been watching old classics. YouTube has a cornucopia of classic baseball games in their entirety. Some even have the old commercials included...it's fun to see all the old Miller Lite "tastes great-less filling" commercials. 

We have been primarily watching classics that the young ones missed the first time around. Like the 1979 World Series between Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Wish the Pirates would bring back those cool caps.

ABC had the WS this year and Keith Jackson, Howard Cosell, and Don Drysdale are on the call. Al Michaels called games 3, 4, and 5, instead of Keith Jackson.

And I thought I was feeling depressed before.  Thanks for nothin'...  

:D 

Modern baseball.......

And here's the windup (after pitcher sanitizes the ball)......The pitch......Ball!!

Catcher sanitizes the ball before tossing it back to the pitcher......

Pitcher tosses to first......1st baseman sanitizes the ball before tossing it back to the pitcher.

Etc., etc., etc.

On 4/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, ebk said:

And I thought I was feeling depressed before.  Thanks for nothin'...  

:D 

Maybe you'll feel better about 1981. A rare pitching match-up between the two Rookies of the Year for 1981...Fernando Valenzuela and Dave Righetti. Fernando's pitch count was incredible...and something you won't see in today's micro-managed analytic game.

21 hours ago, Strider said:

Maybe you'll feel better about 1981. A rare pitching match-up between the two Rookies of the Year for 1981...Fernando Valenzuela and Dave Righetti. Fernando's pitch count was incredible...and something you won't see in today's micro-managed analytic game.

I remember 1981 well.... :thumbdown:

Bong-Man, did you ever see The Bird in person?

This was the first look most of America got at Mark 'The Bird' Fidrych, the Detroit Tigers rookie pitching phenom. Detroit vs. NY Yankees on ABC's Monday Night Baseball June 28, 1976.

This game was completed in just over two hours. I loved how fast Mark Fidrych worked...no dawdling around. What a blazing comet he was in 1976. Then his arm gave out. What is shocking is how it wasn't until 1985 that they figured out he tore his rotator cuff. The Detroit Tigers must have had some shoddy doctors back then.

37 minutes ago, Strider said:

Bong-Man, did you ever see The Bird in person?

This was the first look most of America got at Mark 'The Bird' Fidrych, the Detroit Tigers rookie pitching phenom. Detroit vs. NY Yankees on ABC's Monday Night Baseball June 28, 1976.

This game was completed in just over two hours. I loved how fast Mark Fidrych worked...no dawdling around. What a blazing comet he was in 1976. Then his arm gave out. What is shocking is how it wasn't until 1985 that they figured out he tore his rotator cuff. The Detroit Tigers must have had some shoddy doctors back then.

The Bird....one of my first baseball memories - along with Carlton Fisk in ‘75 and Chris Chambliss in ‘76.  I saw him pitch! Spring Training 1977, before his knee injury, my grandparents had a winter place near Lakeland. Saw them and the Sux in Winter Haven every year.  That guy was really something. Kinda like Fernando. 

Edited by Walter

Been introducing my young nephew to the Big Red Machine. The 1975-76 Cincinnati Reds are still to this day the greatest baseball team I have ever seen. The last National League team to win back-to-back World Series and the only team to sweep their way through the playoffs without a loss. They destroyed the Phillies, who won 101 games and then the Yankees.

I miss the days when you heard organ music at baseball games instead of the constant barrage of pop/country/hiphop music of today.

19 hours ago, Strider said:

Been introducing my young nephew to the Big Red Machine. The 1975-76 Cincinnati Reds are still to this day the greatest baseball team I have ever seen. The last National League team to win back-to-back World Series and the only team to sweep their way through the playoffs without a loss. They destroyed the Phillies, who won 101 games and then the Yankees.

I miss the days when you heard organ music at baseball games instead of the constant barrage of pop/country/hiphop music of today.

That was one hell of a team: Bench, Perez, Morgan, Concepcion, Rose, Griffey, Geronimo, Foster...etc - plus manager. Sparky was something else, in detroit too. Great guy. 

15 hours ago, Walter said:

That was one hell of a team: Bench, Perez, Morgan, Concepcion, Rose, Griffey, Geronimo, Foster...etc - plus manager. Sparky was something else, in detroit too. Great guy. 

The team my Orioles beat 4-1 in 1970!!!!  The "Brooks Robinson series"!  Bench was robbed and so was Rose on some of the best defensive plays of all time.  Classic plays by Robinson.  Jim Palme and the late Dave McNally who hit a grand slam in that series!!  Yes the pitcher.  And in those days, they could not hit very well.  

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The team my Orioles beat 4-1 in 1970!!!!  The "Brooks Robinson series"!  Bench was robbed and so was Rose on some of the best defensive plays of all time.  Classic plays by Robinson.  Jim Palme and the late Dave McNally who hit a grand slam in that series!!  Yes the pitcher.  And in those days, they could not hit very well.  

That’s just before they became a monster team. Your birds had just lost to the Mets the prior season, no? Great teams in the 70’s....A’s, Sux, Yanks, Royals, Dodgers, Phillies, etc. Always a dog fight between O’s, BoSux and Yankees in the mid-late 70’s. 

13 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I didn't start paying attention to baseball until about 1973.

7 hours ago, Walter said:

That’s just before they became a monster team. Your birds had just lost to the Mets the prior season, no? Great teams in the 70’s....A’s, Sux, Yanks, Royals, Dodgers, Phillies, etc. Always a dog fight between O’s, BoSux and Yankees in the mid-late 70’s. 

And no wild card. You had to win your way to the playoffs.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:57 PM, Walter said:

Yes they were upset by the Mets in that 69 season.  But they beat the Dodgers in the 66 Series, and then won the 70 Series 4-1 over the Big Red Machine.  They lost two to Pittsburgh after being up 3-1.  One to the late Roberto Clemente who died tragically in a plane and then to Willie Stargell and his band of fucking idiot fans singing that top 40 bullshit "We Are Family".  The Orioles and Dodgers were great teams at developing players in those days. None better. The Orioles had great pitching.  We beat the Phillies in 83, in Cal Ripkens rookie season, our last, sadly.  And maybe the last of my life?