RIAA says ripping cds is illegal

Jarlaxle 56

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=15357

Now, in an unusual case in which an Arizona recipient of an RIAA letter has fought back in court rather than write a check to avoid hefty legal fees, the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step further: In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

The industrys lawyer in the case, Ira Schwartz, argues in a brief filed earlier this month that the MP3 files Howell made on his computer from legally bought CDs are “unauthorized copies” of copyrighted recordings.

Well, in that case I'm in a lot of trouble. I ripped songs to my mom's computer, my dad's computer (the ones I use the most.) and my laptop. (don't use it much-no internet mainly used for music.) Is it legal to put them on an ipod if you ri pthem to your computer or is that twice as illegal?

I really doubt they care, I'm pretty sure they are only doing this to make a point. And an idiotic point it is. There's no way there going to start suing everyone who rips cds. Every major media player has a cd ripping option, so either they are going to have to force all of these companies who make programs with rippers to pay royalties, start suing these corporations en masse, or the record labels will have to start encrypting their music cds. Which opens up a whole new can of worms into compatibility issues. No, I don't think anyone has anything to worry about, they're just being their usual greedy asshole selves.

What if I put the cd in my computer to play it, but I don't rip it? In mom's computer you can't rip cds. The option says copy to computer, is that legal?

I honestly don't know, I'm waiting for these assholes to say I can't let anyone else except myself listen to it, or that it's illegal for me to let my friend borrow a cd.

And the RIAA is representing who??? Record Companies?? Like Sony BMG?? The same Sony that manufacturers cdr's labeled as "perfect for copying cd's"?

How exactly is this any different than what millions of people around there world used to do in buying an LP and recording it onto cassette so they could listen to it on the go?

The recording industry can cry me a fucking river. :rolleyes: They are just mad because they built an empire based on sales numbers which were solely created because of the first major media format change in 80+ years. ALL music purchased before 1984 was RE-purchased on the new cd format...causing sales numbers to skyrocket. They were living high on the hog....thinking it was always gonna be this good.....well it does'nt take a genius to figure it was'nt going to last. Couple that with the fact that the CEO's of these companies are nothing more than numbers crunchers that don't know a damn thing about artistic taste. They changed from diversity/integrity to "sign me 5 more bands that sound just like Linkin Park".

They fucked up, and now they want to blame someone else. I say let them chew dick!!!

This is f-ing ridiculous. I pretty much see ripping CDs to my MP3 player as a convenient way to store all of my music. It's much easier to tote along a MP3 player than 400+ CDs. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I accidentally deleted all the files off my MP3 player. How did I get them back on it? I ripped them from my CDs--which were ripped on my computer.

It's ridiculous that the music industry would expect us to buy the music more than once if we end up switching MP3 players. I paid about $20 for the CD, and if I accidentally delete it off my MP3 player, the CD is just the backup software to re-load it.

I don't download music off the download and pay sites because I won't have a backup copy.

Seriously. These industry fat cats need to find something else better to do with their time.

Assholes. <_<

This is f-ing ridiculous. I pretty much see ripping CDs to my MP3 player as a convenient way to store all of my music. It's much easier to tote along a MP3 player than 400+ CDs. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I accidentally deleted all the files off my MP3 player. How did I get them back on it? I ripped them from my CDs--which were ripped on my computer.

It's ridiculous that the music industry would expect us to buy the music more than once if we end up switching MP3 players. I paid about $20 for the CD, and if I accidentally delete it off my MP3 player, the CD is just the backup software to re-load it.

I don't download music off the download and pay sites because I won't have a backup copy.

Seriously. These industry fat cats need to find something else better to do with their time.

Assholes. <_<

I resent that.

What is a b-side?

Usually songs that didn't "make the cut" for the final release of an album, though it used to just mean the other side of a piece of vinyl if I'm correct.

from wikipedia

B-side songs are released on the same record as a single to provide extra "value for money". There are several types of material commonly released in this way:

* a different version (e.g., instrumental, a cappella, live, acoustic, remixed version or in another language/text) of the A-side or another track

* another song from the same album, which the record company does not want to release on its own

* a song not considered good enough for the album

* a song that was stylistically unsuitable for the album

* a song that had not yet been completed at the time of the album's release

* a cover of another song

* a live version of the song

Archived