Lesson Learned From Led Zep SiriusXM Led Zep Channel

I learned that I have a Led Zeppelin problem.  Seriously!  We know there are those people with drinking and drug problems.  I will go to that channel for, "Just one song", and that "Just one song" turns into an hour. *LoL*

13 minutes ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

My GF and I were listening to the channel the other night on the way to a grad party. Three songs in and it was all good. Then Moby Dick from LZII came on and the channel went back to the Elvis channel. 

No issues with Elvis, but if the MD drum solo didn't get you motivated for that party, it probably wasn't worth going to in the first place.

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

So is it all Zep? If not, what are some of the other artists? All '70's? Related by influence? Anything "now"?

Yes, all Zep, and of course only official releases.  They play WAY too many repeats (e.g. I'd lost track of how many times they played D'yer Maker before the first week was even over), there's not a lot of variety.  Even the occasional commentary by P&P and Jones is repetitive, they could've at least gotten some well-known contemporaries to comment on the band's influence.  Sirius could've done a lot more with this than they have.

When I was in school, I had a radio show on the college station I called 'Whole Lotta Zep.' Two hours once per week. I patterned it after a typical concert but covering all eras of the band. Typical opening numbers to start, a blues segment, acoustic set, STH sometime in the last half hour, typical encores to finish. It was great fun! I included solo stuff and other bands covering Zep too. No reason why Sirius can't do that. (unless there are limitations in their broadcast license?) Perhaps they could do a "mini concert" a few times a day, including requests/suggestions.

21 minutes ago, Zep Hed said:

When I was in school, I had a radio show on the college station I called 'Whole Lotta Zep.' Two hours once per week. I patterned it after a typical concert but covering all eras of the band. Typical opening numbers to start, a blues segment, acoustic set, STH sometime in the last half hour, typical encores to finish. It was great fun! I included solo stuff and other bands covering Zep too. No reason why Sirius can't do that. (unless there are limitations in their broadcast license?) Perhaps they could do a "mini concert" a few times a day, including requests/suggestions.

cool idea.  A few years ago I did something similar with playlists (what we old timers used to call "mix tapes").  I made a playlist for the basic set list for some of the tours:  71, 72 US, 73 US, 75- Earl's Court so I could get the acoustic set-  , 77.  I used just the studio versions.  It worked pretty well.  The best track to track transition was Black Mountain Side into Kashmir.  No surprise there.  It was one of their best ever live transitions.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:17 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

Yes, all Zep, and of course only official releases.  They play WAY too many repeats (e.g. I'd lost track of how many times they played D'yer Maker before the first week was even over), there's not a lot of variety.  Even the occasional commentary by P&P and Jones is repetitive, they could've at least gotten some well-known contemporaries to comment on the band's influence.  Sirius could've done a lot more with this than they have.

I noticed the repeats by the 2nd or 3rd day. YAWN.

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

Lads, lads, why not just play your own cds - you'll hear the exact songs you want to hear, exactly when you want to hear em and no unwanted repeats! 😉  

Fair point.  I do like the idea of a Zeppelin channel, it's just the particular concentration of songs has been underwhelming.  (I have been reminded how good the studio versions of D&C, STH, and NQ are, I usually neglect those in favor of live versions.)

For me the channel has been good as I just switch to it on occasion and usually hear a few deeper tracks / alternate takes from BBC, Presence, Coda, Physical Graffiti or something Live (O2, HTWWW, etc). It’s Still better than most other Sirius XM channels.  

R😎

• 3 weeks later...