Tea anyone ?

1 hour ago, Alice Young said:

I am a huge Jimmy Page fan and also a great tea connoisseur.I know Jimmy enjoys a hot cuppa daily .I am curious to know which brand or kind of tea Jimmy likes best .
    Thanks,

Alice 

As a proper Englishman there are only two choices: English Breakfast Tea with cream for mornings and Earl Grey with honey & lemon for afternoon tea-time 😉

Ps. Never put cream or milk in Earl Grey as in England I believe that is an offense worthy of a stay in the Tower. However it does get a bit confusing as a London Fog (Earl Grey Latte) is quite popular in the UK.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

10 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

As a proper Englishman there are only two choices: English Breakfast Tea with cream for mornings and Earl Grey with honey & lemon for afternoon tea-time 😉

Ps. Never put cream or milk in Earl Grey as in England I believe that is an offense worthy of a stay in the Tower. However it does get a bit confusing as a London Fog (Earl Grey Latte) is quite popular in the UK.

Never, ever put cream in tea, that's for that bean rubbish. You can of course add milk and you can add milk to Earl Grey along with many teas except Green tea. I drink about 3-4 mugs of tea per day. No sugar just milk.

Top Tea brands here are Twinning's, Yorkshire Tea, PG Tips. All supermarkets do their own brand and the list of varieties is endless. We love our tea and it is deemed impolite if you don't offer "a brew" to visitors to your home. Never that Coffee shite.

I love tea it's all* I drink (apart from the occasional glass of Robinsons orange barley water). PG Tips at the mo, Mrs JTM and I drink about 7/8 mugs a day, it's lifeblood I can't function without it, 1 teaspoon of raw golden granulated sugar and a splash of skimmed milk. *when out at friends if offered a dink I'll have coffee because hardly any fucker knows how to make a proper cup of tea.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I love tea it's all* I drink (apart from the occasional glass of Robinsons orange barley water). PG Tips at the mo, Mrs JTM and I drink about 7/8 mugs a day, it's lifeblood I can't function without it, 1 teaspoon of raw golden granulated sugar and a splash of skimmed milk. *when out at friends if offered a dink I'll have coffee because hardly any fucker knows how to make a proper cup of tea.

Love this post!!  being from Massachusetts where we threw your King's tea (by the case) into Boston Harbor because of His Majesty's tax increase, I have developed a love for imported Teas.  At least two cups each morning and it helps me make my ancestors' ancient connection to Hampshire over where you enjoy your tea, daily.  My question is: Is it true that arguments can get carried away over there as whether it's “Milk in first”?

ADK-Zeppelin

39 minutes ago, ADK-Zeppy said:

Love this post!!  being from Massachusetts where we threw your King's tea (by the case) into Boston Harbor because of His Majesty's tax increase, I have developed a love for imported Teas.  At least two cups each morning and it helps me make my ancestors' ancient connection to Hampshire over where you enjoy your tea, daily.  My question is: Is it true that arguments can get carried away over there as whether it's “Milk in first”?

ADK-Zeppelin

Milk first ? it depends. When making teabag in the cup the milk goes in last but when making tea in a teapot the milk goes in the cup before the tea is poured. Brewing tea in the pot is a rare thing these days, we have two teapots but rarely use them, depends on mood.

34 minutes ago, JTM said:

Milk first ? it depends. When making teabag in the cup the milk goes in last but when making tea in a teapot the milk goes in the cup before the tea is poured. Brewing tea in the pot is a rare thing these days, we have two teapots but rarely use them, depends on mood.

Perfectly answered man. Always milk with a baggage last, a freshly brewed leaf tea has milk added first. Whichever it really is "The best drink of the day"

It took me many cups to get used to Indian Chai. Sickly sweet, usually served by a Chai Wallah on trains, this concoction of Sweet milk, leaves and spices, takes the Tea world to weirder heights. We hated it at first but after a while we loved a Chai in India. Never dream of even replicating it at home.

In fact I have just had a brew with my Hummus for lunch.

Edited by chillumpuffer

Pretty interesting re: adding milk last to brewed tea by the pot compared to tea bag variety.  I tried both ways with the loose leaf that I brew every morning. I can not determine the difference, by the way.  My “theory” is that in prior days in Britain, fresh milk may Not have been easy to chill or keep that way, so milk added first may not have clotted as much when the hot tea was poured into it., whereas the opposite would not appear as appetizing in the cup. No? 

For the past 25 years or so, I have ordered loose leaf tea from The Republic of Tea, first by mail order and now online. One variety I cherish and a bit more pricey is Keemun from Anhui Provence in China. Small dried leaves...sweet and smooth, with a touch of smoke and chocolate and with a bit of milk and sugar can be a great start to the day. The other I use is “All Day Breakfast Tea; which is a blend of Keemun and silver tipped Oolong leaves, also really great.  I don't mind  spending for the additional cost and shipping, as it really is one of life's enjoyable moments. I don't order Keemun too often, but last order was in part paid for by the “points” I accumulated and was about to lose.

ADK-Zeppy 

Edited by ADK-Zeppy

3 hours ago, VioletVernet said:

He looks like a chap who knows how to make a proper cup of tea. 

JimmyCupOfTea2.jpg

Looks like a "Cream Tea". Evidence is the jam and a doily on the plate which I suspect had a few scones on it. No cream though. :Thinking:Maybe a slice of cake with his tea?

I agree, the bowl of jam suggests there were scones and clotted cream involved. Too bad no photos of Jimmy enjoying those treats. As far as what kind of tea, it's anyone's guess. I suspect he brews loose tea. Maybe someone lucky enough to have enjoyed a cuppa with Jimmy will come forward and tell us what kind he likes. 

There was a recent video from an American making English tea and getting it all very wrong. The water must be boiled in a kettle, not a microwave, then it’s poured over the teabag and left to brew, usually a minute or two. Then, the milk and sugar is added, not before. The milk is only added first if the tea is first brewed in a teapot, which doesn’t happen much these days

i don’t drink the stuff 

On 7/13/2020 at 12:37 PM, chillumpuffer said:

Looks like a "Cream Tea". Evidence is the jam and a doily on the plate which I suspect had a few scones on it. No cream though. :Thinking:Maybe a slice of cake with his tea?

Isn't the cream in the small silver pourer in front of two larger pots? The colouration of the tea in the cup in the lower right corner suggests milk or cream was used. 

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Isn't the cream in the small silver pourer in front of two larger pots? The colouration of the tea in the cup in the lower right corner suggests milk or cream was used. 

Nope. That is jug for the milk.

For a cream tea, Clotted cream is used. It's thick like whipped cream and generally yellow in colour and very, very rich. It is spooned on to the Scone and then Jam (Jelly) on top. We never put cream in tea

16 hours ago, jsj said:

There was a recent video from an American making English tea and getting it all very wrong. The water must be boiled in a kettle, not a microwave, then it’s poured over the teabag and left to brew, usually a minute or two. Then, the milk and sugar is added, not before. The milk is only added first if the tea is first brewed in a teapot, which doesn’t happen much these days

i don’t drink the stuff 

That's how I make tea and I'm an American. Water must come to a rolling boil to brew it. But I mostly drink it iced. I'm from Long Island and every Long Islander has a pitcher of iced tea in the fridge, I don't know why. We even named a cocktail after it  (which doesn't actually contain tea, just tons of booze, like five different kinds). 

So, no closer to solving the mystery of Jimmy's preferred tea. Earl Grey would be my guess. Here's another photo. I think these were taken at Pangbourne but not sure. They might be from two different shoots. 

JimmyCupOfTea.jpg

58 minutes ago, VioletVernet said:

That's how I make tea and I'm an American. Water must come to a rolling boil to brew it. But I mostly drink it iced. I'm from Long Island and every Long Islander has a pitcher of iced tea in the fridge, I don't know why. We even named a cocktail after it  (which doesn't actually contain tea, just tons of booze, like five different kinds). 

So, no closer to solving the mystery of Jimmy's preferred tea. Earl Grey would be my guess. Here's another photo. I think these were taken at Pangbourne but not sure. They might be from two different shoots. 

JimmyCupOfTea.jpg

Yes the famous Long Island Ice Tea alcohol drink.