Which 3 Shows Do You Listen To the Most?

1975NQ

1 hour ago, 1975NQ said:

it's just so damn primal. Jimmy just sounds unstoppable. The whole band does.

The Atlanta Pop Festival tape which was liberated recently needs more attention, I feel. This is the band in full steal-the-show mode, I don't think I've ever heard them more aggressive and over the top, just urgently throwing it down, as if to say "WE should be the headliners here!!" It's incredible.

To the original question, the Japanese shows because of the soundboards are getting play, and I always enjoy the Mobile show from '73 for some reason, it just has that "Zep" thing all over it. I feel the same way about Baton Rouge '75,  not the greatest, but very "Zeppy"

36 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

The Atlanta Pop Festival tape which was liberated recently needs more attention, I feel. This is the band in full steal-the-show mode, I don't think I've ever heard them more aggressive and over the top, just urgently throwing it down, as if to say "WE should be the headliners here!!" It's incredible.

To the original question, the Japanese shows because of the soundboards are getting play, and I always enjoy the Mobile show from '73 for some reason, it just has that "Zep" thing all over it. I feel the same way about Baton Rouge '75,  not the greatest, but very "Zeppy"

Putting Atlanta Pop Festival onto my listening list for next week - I haven't heard it yet. I love how all these shows keep popping up. I was really into Zep 86-95 (first musical love you could say) then took a long break from listening to any of it beyond solo stuff from Plant and Page. I just got back into listening this year. I've got dozens of shows from back then (some are still my favs today) and now lots and lots of new favs I've never heard before starting this year. It's like discovering the band all over again. 

On 11/19/2021 at 12:42 PM, badgeholder said:

Just listened to it this morning, and yeah I can hear that for sure. Bonham in particular sounds extra aggressive on TKR , he's going nuts lol.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:42 PM, badgeholder said:

1 hour ago, 1975NQ said:

Just listened to it this morning, and yeah I can hear that for sure. Bonham in particular sounds extra aggressive on TKR , he's going nuts lol.

The entire 1968-69 era of Led Zeppelin is the sound of a band just playing for today, balls out, with no regard to what is coming down the line one year or five years later. Whether the second album would be a hit or if they were a flash in the pan did not matter, did not enter the equation. They just went out every night on those first few tours and played as if it would be their last gig...as if someone might pull the plug on the entire operation at any minute.

55 minutes ago, Strider said:

The entire 1968-69 era of Led Zeppelin is the sound of a band just playing for today, balls out, with no regard to what is coming down the line one year or five years later. Whether the second album would be a hit or if they were a flash in the pan did not matter, did not enter the equation. They just went out every night on those first few tours and played as if it would be their last gig...as if someone might pull the plug on the entire operation at any minute.

Yep, great assessment. And lucky us that all these shows are out there!

8 hours ago, Mattius said:

04/09/70 Blueberry Hill (NightOwl)

28,29/09/71 How The East Was Won (EVSD)

12/03/75 Long Beach (Graf Zeppelin)

Honourable Mention 04/08/79 Knebworth (Watchtower) - 'Cause I Was There!!!! :)

Pretty dope!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, BobDobbs said:

It really is hard, for me at least, to pin down just three shows. Of course they were hot as F from 69-72' with every member bringing their A-game pretty much nightly, but the other years are just as good but on an inconsistent basis, or, Robert's voice issues 73-75'. In 73' you have the absolute consistent peak of instrumental tightness during the European tour and pretty damn good during the NA shows, only problem is Robert's voice on a few shows. In 75' it's just all over the place, great shows instrumentally but with really bad vocal problems from Robert in most cases. D&C & MD were just bloated by this point but when they hit it they REALLY hit it well in 75', just hard to find a show with all the element present. 77' has Robert almost back to 72' form and actually meeting it in several shows plus the instrumental machine of Jones & Bonham it possibly at their best ever. In 77' Jimmy was the "unknown factor" which would either tank the show or bring it to a new level. Sure there is Tempe and other sub-par shows but then you have Cleveland 4-28, Pontiac 4-30, Landover 5-30, The whole NY & LA runs for the most part. For 79' you have four shows, two of which were excellent with 7-24 in their top 10 shows of all time IMO, one mediocre (8-4) and one which goes from brilliance (communication breakdown) to disaster (STH) and back again (8-11). Europe 80' is another mixed bag but only three or four shows consistently good from start to finish.

I think a better approach which was mentioned earlier would be best shows ranked either by tour or by year due to the different approaches used for each tour. Can anyone really compare 9-19-70 to a 75' or 77' show with all the stage production of those later tours? It really is apples to oranges as the overall approach was completely different.

I feel the same way about Plant's vocals on the (good) 77' shows. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...